Old 16 July 2012, 16:17   #1

Make: OM 590 Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115 Yamaha
Do I buy or do I wait?

Hello from Canada! My wife, two kids and our dog have been living on the west coast of Vancouver Island in Ucluelet for the last two years after moving from the land locked province of Alberta.

We are eager to get on the water and start exploring!

After much research I have decided on a RIB. My current budget is about $8,000.00 and I have been presented with options in the last week.

Option 1.

2000 Nautica International RIB 12' Deluxe Honda 40hp $5800

Option 2.

2001 Zodiac Yachtline 14' (I believe it's the 420) with Honda 50 hp $7900

Option 3.

Wait, save and go with a used 14 foot AB, Nautilus or Polaris boat if I can find one?

What we want to do is go camping on the island around our home, fishing and crabbing on a very regular basis. We also plan to take the boat to various lakes etc.,

I like the size of the Zodiac but I believe the tubes are PVC which concern me being almost 12 years old. The smaller Nautica seems small.

The other though that I am concerned about is beaching the boat. I know it's better to drop an anchor but the Pacific is pretty darn cold! Hahah, so I might need something perhaps an aluminum hull that could hold up to that sort of usage?

Lastly I have also considered the soft bottom ribs, but their lack of seaworthiness concerns me a little.

What are you thoughts?

Szymon
Old 17 May 2013, 13:03   #2

Town: halifax
Make: zodiac,bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp,50hp Johnson
i live oon the other side of canada halifax ns. i have a zodiac yachtline 380 about 12.5ft. it is a tiller steer boat so a big cabin. i would go with the bigger zodiac or save to get thhe boat you really want. i love the RIBs and would go anywhere in mine.
Old 19 March 2014, 17:20   #3

Town: Yellowknife CANADA
Make: Zodiac MkI & Aerotec
Engine: OMC 2hp/15hp/60hp
This maybe a bit late but I used to live in Ucluelet myself and I beat the hell out of both myself and my MkI Zodiac going to and from the broken islands several times. In the end I bought a used 12.6' Polaris Seamaster and it was amazing, so nice to ride in no matter the size of the waves. I'm now trying to figure out how to get another one now that I am again living by some big water here in Yellowknife.
Old 19 March 2014, 18:24   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Hi Ukee - welcome to Rib net.
You are a lucky man. Love that part of the world. Spent some time in Tofino and its breathtakingly beautiful there.
You must have seen some of the Ribs leaving from Tofino with the Bear watching excursions. These are the bigger Zodiac's, but if I was crusing between the sounds and islands and also offshore - I would want something that could get me home when the weather turns. My advice is wait and buy the biggest you can afford, and get a really capable motor.
You can get Keel Guard and fit it to protect the keel on a GRP Rib, but knowing the part of the world your going to operate in, I would recommend an Aluminium Hull if you have the budget....and yes the waters cold there!
Old 19 March 2014, 18:54   #5

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
12ft is too small for 2 adults, 2 kids, a dog and camping gear. I would look for a 15 to 17ft Polaris with ali hull. You still don't want to beach it for long since the tide will leave it stranded and/or the waves pushing it around will rub holes in the tubes.

As far as anchoring goes, you can rig up something like a clothes line with a pulley on the anchor line and a doubled line back to shore tied to a tree or with a 2nd anchor stuck high on the beach. Then pull the boat into deeper water overnight and avoid getting more than knee deep yourself (waders are helpful for launching and this process too)

12yo PVC can be anywhere between pristine and crap depending on how its been stored and cared for. Generally speaking PVC boats last awhile up here compared to hotter, sunnier climates south. Good luck with your search.