Click Here to Login

Old 13 June 2002, 12:26   #1

Town: Soesterberg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4.2
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke
Diving St. Abbs/mary's Island

Hi Folks,

I've been away for sometime, so I will need some time to plough through all the new messages, but before I start with that I want to ask a question myself.

In October I'll be in Whitley Bay for a week or so to visit my dad and I would rather like to sqeeze in a couple of dives at St. Abbs or perhaps, closer to home, St. Mary's Island.
I've never been there before (not underwater that is) and the only info I have is from the internet. The closest my dad ever came to diving was falling into one of our (in)famous Dutch canals, so I can't ask him.

Anyone has any info for me? In Holland I have to watch the tides closely to dive at slack tide (usually a window of about one hour), is this the same over there???

Or better yet...anyone willing to buddy up with me???

Looking forward to your replies!

Eddy
Old 13 June 2002, 17:02   #2

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Not personally dived at St Abbs. Best place to ask is the uk.rec.scuba newsgroup on usenet, I suspect a lot of the people there will have dived there. If your news server doesnt have that group, try the google interface, not as pretty, but it's useable.

As far as I'm aware, you're not usually as limited over here for your time windows for coastal diving, but you'd still be better off making sure you're aware of what the tide is doing when you intend to dive, be more prepared for it.

And now that's done, off to the pool for the weekly North West Divers training session! Can't wait to sign up for my new job (Diver in the Royal Navy, explosives clearance, woohoo!)
Old 13 June 2002, 21:10   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Dear Narked, when you have finished basic training come and have a chat with the Portsmouth RN Sub Aqua Club, very active and lots of members, girlies too. Meet at HMS Temaire on Monday nights, regards Pete
Old 14 June 2002, 14:49   #4

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Ta, I shall try to pop over. Wont be starting my training till February at the earliest though, as the minimum age for diver is 18. But I need the time til then to work on my fitness though.

Thanks again for the info!