Old 02 August 2003, 10:13   #11
Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
just been looking at the Camel boats, which used the Ribtec 6.5m. and their consoles are placed up just at the point where the tubes start to bend towards the bow, so I think I will put my console there, get rid of the bench seat and put in two jockey seats.

I can then use the back for dive gear and divers. Does make the bow a bit of wasted space but I'm sure to find something to go there

Thanks for all your advice.

Brixham BSAC
tue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2003, 18:30   #12
Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
The pivot point for most RIBs in displacement mode is one third from the bow or direction of travel and approximately half way at planing speeds.

On all of our training boats we specify that the console should be mounted one third of hull length from the boaw as that way the Cox is right on the pivot point giving that BMW feeling of being part of the boat rather than being on the boat.

For dive operations I would sacrifice that BMW feel for deck space and move the console up towards the bow.

For passenger ops or when carrying inexperienced divers the best place for the console is down the back where the Cox can keep an eye on his / her charges !

This is just a rule of thumb. Naturally other factors type / size position of engine , fuel tanks etc will also bear.

Best wishes,

Stuart McNamara
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2003, 04:45   #13
Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene

On my Osprey the console is placed in the forward part of the boat. Not completly up front. Normaly we have the divers sit on tubes in the back, and the divegear stored in front of the console. Spare tanks on a bottle rack just behind the drivers seat. This evens the weight on the boat.

Rene is offline   Reply With Quote