Old 17 January 2020, 10:13   #1
Den

Town: Cork
Length: 6m +
Console clearance

I’m all questions this week!![emoji85][emoji16] am looking at a rib to possibly buy. Single console, I already have a double console in my shed and I would fit it to the new rib, would like to fit it as far forward as possible, but how much clearance, port and s/board do I need between console and tubes?
Old 17 January 2020, 10:21   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
You don’t ‘need’ any, but it depends if you or crew want to walk between the console and tubes or don’t mind climbing forward along the tube.
A smaller gap or climbing is OK with a grab handle on the console.

But, if you could have kids on board at any stage, for safety I’d suggest room at least for them to walk past.

The console doesn't have to be central in the boat remember, but can look a little odd off to one side.

Nasher.
Old 17 January 2020, 12:09   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'd say 150mm so you can move your foot and lower leg through the gap.

You also need to check that when you are sat at the console your outboard leg isn't hard up against the tube.

And remember the mid height of the tube is further inboard than the bottom of the tube.

If you have the option, position the seat mid way between your steering hand and your throttle hand and not necessarily in line with the middle of the steering wheel.

Thinking about what Nasher has said, you could have the seats either side of the centreline and offset your console which would achieve a gap and get your wheel and throttle in the right place.

What is underneath the console? If you are going to move it, you'll have to think about how you are going to get your steering hose, throttle cable, electrics etc to the back of the boat.

It's all part of the fun and looking at other RIB's is a good way to get ideas.
Old 17 January 2020, 12:43   #4
Den

Town: Cork
All good advice guys. Thanks, yeah I’ll have the kids so I’ll need some room, don’t fancy the offset console tho, the console will be a void space/locker, hoping to store my auxiliary outboard inside possibly, leaving room for my steering and cables, will use a top mount throttle.