Town: Largs
Boat name: Pinto
Make: Zodiac 4.7 Pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evenrude 40 e-TEC
MMSI: 235055258
consol modifications

Hi

We have our new RIB - a Zodiac Pro 9 (4.7m) - and now want to put various bits n pieces onto it eg GPS & Radio. The problem is lack of space and I am considering doing some mods to it by putting a small windscreen with a grab-bar around it, so that I can make use of the space on top of the consol, and at the same time offer the instruments a bit of protection (from the weather and people!)

I have looked thro the threads on here and most of the comments re this, whilst really useful, do not apply to our boat. I have therefore tried to attached a couple of photos which show the consol and would really appreciate any advice on how to go about this from anyone who has experience of this.

I gather from previous comments that it is much better (cheaper) for this to be a DIY job rather than commisioning anyone to do this.

The other thing I could do with some advise on - anyone know of any reasonable chandlers in the Glasgow vicinity (or Central Belt of Scotland).

Thanks

Vivienne
Old 11 August 2006, 19:17   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto
The other thing I could do with some advise on - anyone know of any reasonable chandlers in the Glasgow vicinity (or Central Belt of Scotland).
the words reasonable and chandlers rarely go together. depends what you are looking for - generally you will find it cheaper on the net. in glasgow itself you are probably pretty much limitted to Duncans. think there are a few locatted at some of the west coast marinas but not sure what there stock is like or prices.

if you are feeling rich there is fym at Grangemouth.

further east you have bosuns locker. next door is BlueV for your electrical needs - they always surprise me by being cheaper than I expect (but marginally higher than the web).

Of course you pay more at a "real" chandlers because you usually get better service than at "call centre" or "web site". My main criticism of most central scotland chandlers is they are full of clothing and not a lot of parts etc. I guess thats where the profit is!
Old 11 August 2006, 21:28   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hmmm. I thought the Zodiac consoles came standard with the windscreen/grab rail.

The pics I've found of the Pro 9 seem to have them installed; might be easier (if somewhat more expensive) to simply procure the Zodiac parts you need, and bolt them on.

jky
Old 12 August 2006, 09:55   #4

Town: Largs
Boat name: Pinto
Make: Zodiac 4.7 Pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evenrude 40 e-TEC
MMSI: 235055258
Our Consol

Hi

Many of the Zodiac Pro 9 consols come with a standard windscreen, however there are lots of different kinds, and guess what - with ours it isn't standard! As this is our first RIB it wasn't something that we thought of in advance and therefore didn't order the type of consol that has this. We have the one with the jockey seat - see attached.

I have found Zodiac next to useless as they do not reply to e-mails - hence the reason I thought I would look at alternatives, which would also be a lot cheaper.

Thanks for your input.

Viv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	consol1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	21471