View Poll Results: Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance?
Compulsory licensing and mandatory kill cords with fines for non compliance 130 22.15%
Keep the current unregulated system with an emphasis on education 457 77.85%
Voters: 587. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 May 2013, 08:35   #261
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle View Post
2. The boat and engine manufacturers should work together on a wireless immobilizer that if submerged or moved an x distance from boat or engine will kill it. It could easily be designed to need skin contact to work. (immobilizers have been on other vehicles/equipment for years). This will also cancel out the reasons some people are giving for not wanting to wear kill chords
3. A very basic one day course with a written exam focusing mostly on safety and basic rules of the road etc. And as the RNLI have the most first hand experience of the result on a lack of training they could design and run the courses and the money generated should go directly to them offering them additional revenue.
Skin contact? How would you manage that? What other device needs skin contact to work? Where would you fit it?

The RNLI would have to hire and train a whole bunch of instructors and trainers to train them, the people that would come forward for that sort of job would be existing RYA instructors who are already doing a similar RYA powerboat course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I wonder if we could get a pro forma letter to send/email.

Anyone up for it?
That would work if you got everyone to agree first ...........
__________________

__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 08:49   #262
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 356
I cant see how compulsory training could be delivered practically. How would there be enough trainer capacity to cover all powerboat owners and users in the UK?

Would they let you use your boat while they trained enough trainers? When driving tests came in it was only for new drivers - that approach would kind of miss the point here!
__________________

__________________
Portholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 09:09   #263
Member
 
harryesd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 153
[QUOTE=derdle;536008]
2. The boat and engine manufacturers should work together on a wireless immobilizer that if submerged or moved an x distance from boat or engine will kill it. It could easily be designed to need skin contact to work. (immobilizers have been on other vehicles/equipment for years). This will also cancel out the reasons some people are giving for not wanting to wear kill chords
QUOTE]

Some of us go out in all weathers not just T shirts and short sleeves. most of the time iv'e a dry suit on, wrist seals to the back of my hand, then tight gloves, also skull cap and helmet. only bit of skin showing is my nose ?
How would this work ??
__________________
harryesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 09:34   #264
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
[QUOTE=harryesd;536084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derdle View Post

How would this work ??
one of these...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accessories_400_00008600.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	79825  
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 09:39   #265
Member
 
harryesd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 153
[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler;536090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryesd View Post

one of these...
__________________
harryesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 10:35   #266
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

That would work if you got everyone to agree first ...........
Which was my point to HMS......
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 10:46   #267
Member
 
azzurro's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Madrid-Almeria
Boat name: SEPIA
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Whilst noting that any accidental death is tragic, HMS stated "19 fatalities in 4 years". This will be less than 19 distinct incidents because some of these involved incidents with more than one fatality, but lets go for a rate of 5 fatalities a year and make a comparison.

In 2010:

* 3 people died as a result of dog bites
* 7 people died as a result of being bitten by 'other mammals'
* 3 people died as a result of falling into swimming pools
* 5 people died as a result of accidental suffocation in bed
* 17 people died as a result of contact with heat or hot substances (including barbecues, I assume)
* 5 people died as a result of contact with wasps, hornets or bees
* 6 people died due to lack of food.
* 9 people died as a result of falling from cliffs
* 6 women died as a result of a fall from a ladder
* 29 people died after drowning in the bath.

Shall we introduce mandatory training for barbecues at the point of sale, classes for bed-making and fence in all swimming-pools and cliffs?

We oughtn't limit our altruism by familiarity with Ribs: lets include all vessels, including sailing boats - after all, they can be large, move quickly, have limited capabilities for changing of direction/speed and generally go out in windy conditions. They don't, for instance, slice in front of oil tankers...

Would it be flawed to suggest that anyone over 35 tends to be more capable of assessing risk than people under 35 who have generally been surrounded by Health and Safety?
You are twisting statistics. Are there as many dogs as powerboats?
__________________
azzurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 10:58   #268
Member
 
longjohn's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 541
All this talk of spring loaded hand or foot throttles as alternatives to kill cords makes we wonder how many people on this site have actually driven a rib!!
It seems to me this would be a sure fire way to eject all the crew, on every outing, with the jerky stop-start progress that would inevitably result from such a throttle arrangement!
Tragic in the extreme as this accident is - it is thankfully a rarity, certainly compared to the accident tolls on the roads or indeed many other types of extreme sport. There is no need to get hysterical and blow the danger out of all proportion in a knee-jerk and sensationalist manner.
Kill cords are a neat, simple and effective measure - albeit, as with most safety measures they are not 100% foolproof. Lets just strive to get them used 100% of the time.
__________________
longjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 11:36   #269
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post


That would work if you got everyone to agree first ...........
I see your point.

Personally I want to keep big government out of leisure boating completely.
I've said it before, but having had to deal with the watered down beaurocratic waste of time that is the driver's CPC,the ridiculously overcomplicated tachograph laws and then being charged to change the photograph on my driving licence by DVLA (something which we were promised was going to be free!) I don't trust Whitehall not to:-
  • Use a quango for research led by someone with no clue and an agenda/farm the research out to Capita/a 'green' company with an agenda
  • Put in place such a watered down scheme it's pointless
  • Charge through the nose for a meaningless piece of paper
  • Lose all our details
  • Employ researchers who selectively ignore anything they disagree with
  • Use us as a public whipping boy to win votes
  • Introduce spiralling 'Administration' charges
  • Introduce compulsory registration 'just to keep track of it'
  • Introduce a 'green tax' based on the size of your motor and how much fuel it burns
  • Let DVLA administer it all and give them carte blanche on charging for renewals

If you don't believe me, does anyone remember the original purpose of the road tax? Or does anyone (like me) have to pay a 'residents parking' charge? We were promised that it would never go past 10 a year to pay for the admin of the permits.I'm now paying 175 a year.

I've done 'political activism' in various guises before. In order to actually get anything done that isn't exactly what the faceless beaurocrats in a brainstorming session have already decided on, it takes your entire life and you feel like you're getting nowhere for most of it.
The amount of wrangling they'll do is tantamount to trying to follow the plot of 5 soap operas ,on 5 screens at the same time over a period of years with earplugs in.
There's a whole industry round it, they seem to do it for fun and they don't seem to have any grounding in the real world.

Meanwhile, those that the legislation is actually aimed at will be either unaware that it exists or will ignore it.

If we get legislated against, we're screwed. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have the energy or time to defend my last actual freedom.I don't get anywhere near as much time on the water as I want and I have a job.

Actually ASKING for legislation to be put in place is like a turkey voting for christmas.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 11:54   #270
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I see your point.

Personally I want to keep big government out of leisure boating completely.
I've said it before, but having had to deal with the watered down beaurocratic waste of time that is the driver's CPC,the ridiculously overcomplicated tachograph laws and then being charged to change the photograph on my driving licence by DVLA (something which we were promised was going to be free!) I don't trust Whitehall not to:-
  • Use a quango for research led by someone with no clue and an agenda/farm the research out to Capita/a 'green' company with an agenda
  • Put in place such a watered down scheme it's pointless
  • Charge through the nose for a meaningless piece of paper
  • Lose all our details
  • Employ researchers who selectively ignore anything they disagree with
  • Use us as a public whipping boy to win votes
  • Introduce spiralling 'Administration' charges
  • Introduce compulsory registration 'just to keep track of it'
  • Introduce a 'green tax' based on the size of your motor and how much fuel it burns
  • Let DVLA administer it all and give them carte blanche on charging for renewals

If you don't believe me, does anyone remember the original purpose of the road tax? Or does anyone (like me) have to pay a 'residents parking' charge? We were promised that it would never go past 10 a year to pay for the admin of the permits.I'm now paying 175 a year.

I've done 'political activism' in various guises before. In order to actually get anything done that isn't exactly what the faceless beaurocrats in a brainstorming session have already decided on, it takes your entire life and you feel like you're getting nowhere for most of it.
The amount of wrangling they'll do is tantamount to trying to follow the plot of 5 soap operas ,on 5 screens at the same time over a period of years with earplugs in.
There's a whole industry round it, they seem to do it for fun and they don't seem to have any grounding in the real world.

Meanwhile, those that the legislation is actually aimed at will be either unaware that it exists or will ignore it.

If we get legislated against, we're screwed. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have the energy or time to defend my last actual freedom.I don't get anywhere near as much time on the water as I want and I have a job.

Actually ASKING for legislation to be put in place is like a turkey voting for christmas.

Yeah! What he said!
__________________

__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.