Originally Posted by Cookee
That would work if you got everyone to agree first ...........
I see your point.
Personally I want to keep big government out of leisure boating completely.
I've said it before, but having had to deal with the watered down beaurocratic waste of time that is the driver's CPC,the ridiculously overcomplicated tachograph laws and then being charged to change the photograph on my driving licence by DVLA (something which we were promised was going to be free!) I don't trust Whitehall not to:-
- Use a quango for research led by someone with no clue and an agenda/farm the research out to Capita/a 'green' company with an agenda
- Put in place such a watered down scheme it's pointless
- Charge through the nose for a meaningless piece of paper
- Lose all our details
- Employ researchers who selectively ignore anything they disagree with
- Use us as a public whipping boy to win votes
- Introduce spiralling 'Administration' charges
- Introduce compulsory registration 'just to keep track of it'
- Introduce a 'green tax' based on the size of your motor and how much fuel it burns
- Let DVLA administer it all and give them carte blanche on charging for renewals
If you don't believe me, does anyone remember the original purpose of the road tax? Or does anyone (like me) have to pay a 'residents parking' charge? We were promised that it would never go past £10 a year to pay for the admin of the permits.I'm now paying £175 a year.
I've done 'political activism' in various guises before. In order to actually get anything done that isn't exactly what the faceless beaurocrats in a brainstorming session have already decided on, it takes your entire life and you feel like you're getting nowhere for most of it.
The amount of wrangling they'll do is tantamount to trying to follow the plot of 5 soap operas ,on 5 screens at the same time over a period of years with earplugs in.
There's a whole industry round it, they seem to do it for fun and they don't seem to have any grounding in the real world.
Meanwhile, those that the legislation is actually aimed at will be either unaware that it exists or will ignore it.
If we get legislated against, we're screwed. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have the energy or time to defend my last actual freedom.I don't get anywhere near as much time on the water as I want and I have a job.
Actually ASKING for legislation to be put in place is like a turkey voting for christmas.