Click Here to Login

Old 21 September 2005, 22:25   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Cheap Fuel - Solent - not a joke thread!

I have this feeling if a bunch of us conspired together and approached Yacht Haven with a view to setting up a collective account for 2006 (given the amount some of us seem to guzzle) we might get a discount of more than the 100l+ deal they have already?
Old 21 September 2005, 22:27   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
You might have something there Bruce !

Us
Old 21 September 2005, 22:34   #3

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
I vote yarmouth!
Old 21 September 2005, 22:35   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I'll sign up.
Old 22 September 2005, 09:00   #5

Length: no boat
Count me in too. If we had enough regular quantity, we could order our own tanker like the fishing community. But, that aside, if someone wants to investigate bulk buying further, it has to be worth while. Can't get my rig into any road gas stations around here as too long! (Except at 6am!)
Old 22 September 2005, 09:06   #6

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
I am willing to act as the point of negotiation. I have a good idea of how much I put in from Sep 04 to Sep 05 amd 90+% was at Yacht Haven (cheaper than Yarmouth). If we could get a commitment to 25,000 litres in a calendar year, and offer monthly accounting, with say a three month advance, we could get a serious deal. Since I reckon I used 2,400 ltres that means ten to fifteen of us, or less if we have larger ribs.....
Old 22 September 2005, 14:37   #7

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
come off it gents!!!!!!!!!!!. How munch do you think a garage makes on a liter?? it aint much i can assure you... and you aint going to become a Tesco ordering a 5000 liters. Come back to reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps - check very carefully bylaws concerning distribution and storage.

jonathan
Old 22 September 2005, 14:40   #8

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
A garage no, mebbe 4-5p a litre, tops.. However, add onto that what a marina charges.. Normally about 25-30p extra, thats the amount you have to negotiate with.. Marina's buy the fuel from the same place as garages, and prolly pay the same price.. So...
Old 22 September 2005, 16:08   #9

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
i think eupa is right

i do think you are kiding yourself a bit ,

there are far more costs with on the water fuel stations
can you imagine the insurance payout if the pipe at clarance bust ????
and wrecked the solent

your only option is to garantee a liters per month and pay a penalty if you dont hit it this would make me do the deal

offer sparkes or clarance 10.000 liters a month garanteed and see what deal you get, my bet is not a lot as 10000 liters is not very many sunseakers fiiiing up at all

and then imagine if the prinnses club or the fairline brigade found out think of the discout that these boys would expect its a down ward spiral for the fuel station
Old 22 September 2005, 16:31   #10

Clarance? Or Clarence? If the Latter, they don't do fuel.. I would say, pro rata, the overheads for a Marina based fuel station are way less than the rates and overheads for a land based fuel station. Either will have to satisfy rigid building standards as both will have their tanks on land.. As for a fuel spillage, one would go into the drains and river based network supplying Local Authority's with drinking water, the other would be washed out to sea..
Old 22 September 2005, 16:52   #11

you know were i mean

its not my falt i cant spell,

all i can say is i know 2 fuel barge owners 1 solent 1 salcombe and from limited chats its far more costly to get it to the pump on the water than the pump on the road

you have to ask yourself whats it it for them

shifting more product at less margin has never made any one rich and thats what your asking a company to do. would you work harder for less money ??

you need a carrot wich is a garantee that if you dont buy your full alication you will pay 2p a liter more than normal pump price for what you have had now thats the way

now i know land garages are steel tanks in a concreet outer skin so as not to spill into the water table .

washed out to sea , LOL .. perhaps oil response should be told that in southmpton that they dont need to fix the problem when it happens just let it wash out to sea
Old 22 September 2005, 17:00   #12

I would think you have more chance negotiating a bulk discount at a Marina, than you would at a Petrol Station. Having said that, the Marina peeps have all the bases covered, you buy it when you see it, the chances of the next place being open, and cheaper are a dodgy way to run a boat.. On land, your always close(ish) to another source of fuel, at sea, your not..

High fuel costs, and running costs are a fact of life when taking a rib, (or any other petrol run, water based, money pit out..) A 2p discount over 2500 litres is £50, which is what it would cost some to take their rib to a particular filling station to fuel up at a discount..
Old 22 September 2005, 17:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVA
washed out to sea , LOL .. perhaps oil response should be told that in southmpton that they dont need to fix the problem when it happens just let it wash out to sea
I think they would have their fingers crossed it would wash up the Itchen.. No-one would ever notice..
Old 22 September 2005, 17:04   #14

glad i dont swim up there
Old 22 September 2005, 21:26   #15

After me praising Lymington Yacht haven last week for their cheap (relative term) gas prices, filled up today @ £1.07 per litre! This at a time when the local gas station was @ 92p. Bummer. I suppose it entirely depends on what they pay for a tank themselves. Still, £1.07!
Old 23 September 2005, 09:15   #16

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Basically . the only way you are going to get "cheap" petrol is to buy it tax and duty free. The only way you are going to do that is buy it on the
Rotterdam spot market and /or have it deliverd to a barge/boat/rusting tin hulk OUT OF THE 12 mile limit. That way NOBODY can stop you- but you will be talking 1000's of liters. and then you will have to have somebody permently on the barge/boat/rusting tin hulk to supervise it.
It can be done.....BUT when word reaches C&E- they will proably raid it ( whether 12 mile limit or not) and have it closed down as a " danger to shipping"- I have been working on the problem for the last year. if I remember correctly are there ( use to be)- ANY LAID UP tankers in the channel currently?- you know the ones that cant pay their crews and cant pay docking fees. Thats the one to go for!!!!!!!!!!!

jonathan
Old 23 September 2005, 20:10   #17

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Do petrol stations pay the government the tax according to the date the fuel was sold or do they pay the tax when they buy the fuel from the supplier?
Old 23 September 2005, 23:12   #18

I believe price (and therefore duty) is levied on the delivered fuel which is why it varies so much. Theoretically, if you are a consumer, you can therefore gain on a rising market and lose heavily when the wholesale price falls as you will continue to purchase high cost stocks until they expire. It would follow therefore, that in volatile times, to not purchase in bulk.

It's all a bollocking rip off anyway. (End of intellectual argument)
Old 24 September 2005, 08:13   #19

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
This is just my understanding - not fact so im prepared to be proven wrong - but isnt fuel taxed the same as alcohol at the point of manufacture. I would have thought that the tax was paid by the refinery.

I remember having a tour of a distillery once in scotland and there was a point in the manufacturing process where everything after that point was under lock and key - we were told that that was the taxation point in the manufacturing process so everything after that was strictly measured and controlled.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2005, 16:13   #20
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I approached MDL Marina's to set up a proper fuel account a few years back with a waterski club, dive club, sailing club and a powerboat club all joined together to get a discount.

At the end of it all we got a discount of 4p per litre.

Is it worth your time?

Chris