Old 11 November 2013, 06:54   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Whilst I understand the suggestion to use Red Derv, I think it is probably flawed. you only need a few litres to see if there is a split near the bottom but you probably want to fill it to check the integrity near the top too. If the tank is OK what are you going to do with 100+ L of fuel thats been in a mangey old boat tank possibly full of rust and crap? If its not OK you've now got a load of crap fuel pouring or weeping all over the place. Throw a pint of milk of the floor and see the mess it makes - now imagine that with 200 pints of smelly, fuel that you can't just hose away and can't put in your car...

You should be able to test a tank just with air and see if it holds air.

I don't think water is a stupid suggestion though - you will be able to drain most of it - and almost all the rest you should be able to suck out with one of those pumps you get for removing oil from the sump via the dipstick. I'd definitely make sure there was a good water separator in the fuel line though for the final drips - and if you have a super sensitive injected 2 stroke (e.g. Optimax) then think carefully as they really don't seem to like water.
Old 11 November 2013, 07:07   #12
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzwizz View Post
The problem with cheap RIBs is they are often bought by people who can't afford to repair them. I'd like to think the next owner can get some fun out of her without unnecessary repair bills. I may be tempted to leave the tank, but the thought of it is tormenting the OCD in me :-)
Again, if the price of hypalon and glue has put you off, the cost of a SS-tank and sender will blow your mind - time to sell me thinks.

The engine shouldn't be cutting out. It's certainly not typical of 2 strokes, unless possibly when operating slowly for long periods. If the fuel bulb was soft when you pumped it, then you have a fuel supply issue. Check for air leaks or restrictions.

Old 11 November 2013, 07:55   #13

Make: Gemini Waverider 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 90 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Again, if the price of hypalon and glue has put you off, the cost of a SS-tank and sender will blow your mind - time to sell me thinks.
I think you misunderstand me, I'm not put off by the price. I'm no stranger to boat maintenance costs. I own a 48ft sailing yacht too which does blow my mind when it comes to maintenance costs. I'm happy to pay what I need to pay to get the job done right. If I intended to keep her I would invest in new tanks, tubes, and engine. I've already had a quote for tubes, but it doesn't make good financial sense to go this route, when it would cost more than a more updated boat. Maybe I should leave the tank, but it does seem a shame not to put her back to her original spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The engine shouldn't be cutting out. It's certainly not typical of 2 strokes, unless possibly when operating slowly for long periods. If the fuel bulb was soft when you pumped it, then you have a fuel supply issue. Check for air leaks or restrictions.
Yes the bulb was soft each time. Something else to look at! :-)

Thanks again
Old 11 November 2013, 08:44   #14
Dhf

Length: no boat
Does your console look like the one pictured, if so then your 120ltr tank will be raised inside the lower internal dimensions of consul about 2inch above deck level, I think "they" originally designed the consul around the tank tbh, I relocated my filter from transom to where pictured now.
I used one of those clear bottle suction pumps a few months back, just to check lower tank fuel condition, all good, and they work really well, infact with the bow raised it would be easy to completly empty the tank.
As for cutting out? I would sooner cut a section of deck out behind the consul, lets be honest there's loads of deck space to choose new location, dare I say, You could sit a fully loaded sr4 on deck and carry on regardless. not that you'd want to of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020025.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	87347   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	87348   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020028.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	87349  
Old 11 November 2013, 13:18   #15

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I have photo's of what is under the deck of a DS21. I had a jet project one on the go for a while and had the tank out. PM me with your e mail and I will send you some pics. I was rather alarmed to find that the tank sat on 3 wooden planks that were nailed with mild steel nails through the main bearers of which most of the nails had completely rusted away and broken, causing the tank to jam twisted in the bottom of the vee. Mine was definitely a Friday build.
Old 11 November 2013, 13:34   #16
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
PM me with your e mail and I will send you some pics.
Please Sir, may we have some pics too?
Old 11 November 2013, 13:54   #17

Thanks for that. I've been outside for a look. Beneath the front console is just the deck, no lumps, no sender inspection plate. I've had a look around the deck and in the rear seat compartments. Nothing but deck. The filler and breather go down together at the front of the console through a hole in the deck in the front console. I'm guessing it must be there somewhere but exactly where is a mystery.

Many thanks
Old 11 November 2013, 16:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
I have photo's of what is under the deck of a DS21. I had a jet project one on the go for a while and had the tank out. PM me with your e mail and I will send you some pics. I was rather alarmed to find that the tank sat on 3 wooden planks that were nailed with mild steel nails through the main bearers of which most of the nails had completely rusted away and broken, causing the tank to jam twisted in the bottom of the vee. Mine was definitely a Friday build.
Many thanks, I've sent the PM with my email. I look forward to seeing these pics.
Old 12 November 2013, 13:42   #19

I haven't received the pics yet, but in the cold light of day I can see the top of the tank where the filler goes through the deck. I cannot find any sender plate or fuel outlet though, which is a shame as I was hopeful it might have still been serviceable. Does the outlet usually rise to deck level near the tank, or is it likely to run under the deck to the stern?

I think I've sorted the engine stopping. It seems that 20 litres of fuel doesn't last long and when low it must be gulping air when sloshing around. Tilting the fuel tank back towards the pickup seemed to solve the problem. I definitely need to sort the internal tanks. I've priced up a new SS tanks with sender, which didn't seem too expensive, but I am also considering placing a plastic one under the front console seat. This would be a less disruptive solution than cutting up the deck, and would be easier for future maintenance.