Old 20 October 2019, 20:17   #1

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
brake problems

I have had a few issues recently with the brakes on the trailer recently the brakes work brilliant but in reverse they stick on the shoes are pretty worn so are getting replaced in the picture the the top is a self adjuster and the bottom is the cable operated spreader it doesn't seem to have a reverse release mechanism I believe its an alko type brake system can anybody confirm about the reverse release or does the reverse get done by a lock in the hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	131215  
Old 20 October 2019, 20:36   #2

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Post a pic of your hitch arrangement.
Old 20 October 2019, 20:41   #3

RIBase
I had suspicions that they weren't auto reverse both me and last tango were scratching our heads with it as we couldn't see how it would work in reverse I was under the impression that only auto reverse were available now and the others went out with the arc I need to modify the hitch now then as I aint replacing the axles or the hitch as both are in pretty good nick
Old 20 October 2019, 20:45   #4

Bit of an edit as they look like non auto reverse shoes BUT I might be wrong so post a pic of your hitch.
I originally thought they were just adjusted by the toothed wheel & you'd need a hitch of this type with the manuallly operated flap type:
https://www.trailertek.com/trailer-p...30-cwt-1500-kg
BUT mine are Knott with a sliding shoe & you mentioned AlKo which I'm not familar with so don't want to put you on the wrong road.
Old 20 October 2019, 20:47   #5

RIBase
I will get a pic in the morning cheers
Old 21 October 2019, 04:55   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Bit of an edit as they look like non auto reverse shoes BUT I might be wrong so post a pic of your hitch.
I originally thought they were just adjusted by the toothed wheel & you'd need a hitch of this type with the manuallly operated flap type:
https://www.trailertek.com/trailer-p...30-cwt-1500-kg
BUT mine are Knott with a sliding shoe & you mentioned AlKo which I'm not familar with so don't want to put you on the wrong road.

They look like standard AlKo auto reverse brakes to me. The coupling should be a piston type with an internal gas spring damper. The auto reverse function is provided by the shoes themselves, they should be free to move slightly on the springs, they act like a toothless ratchet. In reverse the shoes move slightly on the back plate reducing the effective diameter of the mechanism, allowing the wheel to rotate backwards. They just need a good fettle. Good luck freeing off the adjuster[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:00   #7

This might help. Sounds like a good strip & clean of the components are in order.
Adjusting Al-Ko brakes | UK-Trailer-Parts

As the rear wheels on mine are fully immersed when launching I also remove all the cables (mine's twin axle) & oil them by hanging them up vertically & filling the cup at one end with light oil. Leave for a couple of days to let the oil run through & the excess to drip out - put a tray under the ends - & then refit.
Old 21 October 2019, 13:46   #8

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Don,t suspect theres alot wrong there as PD says ,reversing is covered by the shoes moving off centre to change dia ,you have a good photo record of how it go,s together ,for a succesful fettle just remove the cables , strip it out and get at it with an angle grinder with one of those awesome wire brushes on ,reassemble with copper grease or similar ,if your feeling really keen give the backplate a coat of cold galv paint , good luck
Old 21 October 2019, 18:03   #9

RIBase
I was too late to get a picture in the daylight but I know for sure the coupling is the one with the gas damper that goes through the piston the adjusters were free the last time I done the wheel bearings but I will give them a dose of copper grease to be sure