Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 01 August 2006, 10:24   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Best not to speed in Chichester Harbour

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/news/pr...?contentID=557

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 August 2006, 08:14   #2

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
worth remembering, it seems to take for ever to get from Northney to the entrance, but £1000 quid buys alot of beer
Old 02 August 2006, 08:40   #3
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob
worth remembering, it seems to take for ever to get from Northney to the entrance, but £1000 quid buys alot of beer
but it will not buy much petrol the way things are going. Filled up the other day and it was £1.02 not a happy bunny.
Old 02 August 2006, 08:42   #4

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
£1.02? You poor thing, try filling it up for that down here. Cowes is currently £1.16/l and Gosport £1.09/l!!!!
Old 02 August 2006, 09:38   #5

Sparks at Chichester entrance is usually quite good, but i suppose its out of the way for many, not sure what the price is but i will find out next week when we are down there
Old 02 August 2006, 10:23   #6
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
£1.02? You poor thing, try filling it up for that down here. Cowes is currently £1.16/l and Gosport £1.09/l!!!!

yep but i was talking about garage price not marine price…
but still it is sneaking up once more. Seams like that 5quid a gallon is looming fast
Old 02 August 2006, 10:49   #7

I feel better now, garage price down here is 95.9/l!!!!! (Thank god mine's back on its' trailer!)
Old 02 August 2006, 10:54   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
I take it the speedlimit in Chichester Harbour only applies to motor boats. Obviously it couldn't possibly be relevant to asymmetric skiffs and multi hulls planing at 18-20 knots
Old 02 August 2006, 12:37   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
I take it the speedlimit in Chichester Harbour only applies to motor boats.
I've just checked, and it seems that the speed limits do not apply to sailing boats.

The Chichester Harbour Byelaws, 1973, section 5 states:

"The master of any power-driven vessel shall not, subject to the requirements of maintaining adequate steerage way and control, suffer or cause her to be navigated or driven in the harbour at a speed exceeding eight knots through, on or over the water, unless the consent in writing of the Harbourmaster has previously been obtained."

Looks like simple discrimination to me. Anyone want to take it up with Lt Col JQ Davis OBE, Manager and Harbour Master?

John
Old 02 August 2006, 16:02   #10
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I've just checked, and it seems that the speed limits do not apply to sailing boats.

The Chichester Harbour Byelaws, 1973, section 5 states:

"The master of any power-driven vessel shall not, subject to the requirements of maintaining adequate steerage way and control, suffer or cause her to be navigated or driven in the harbour at a speed exceeding eight knots through, on or over the water, unless the consent in writing of the Harbourmaster has previously been obtained."

Looks like simple discrimination to me. Anyone want to take it up with Lt Col JQ Davis OBE, Manager and Harbour Master?

John
I guessed as much, surely a 16ft Hobie Cat Travelling at 20 knots is just a dangerous as a similarly sized Searider doing the same speed, and for the record I have used both. I would say the RIB has alot more control than the sailboat.
I very much doubt there will ever been a speed limit relating to sailing boats due to the fact they have difficulty controlling their speed and in this case the fact that Hayling Island Sailing Club brings so much money to the area through large national sailing events.
Old 02 August 2006, 16:12   #11

Interesting that sail is not covered, is this the same with other speed limits e.g cowes , does anybody know
Old 02 August 2006, 16:33   #12

Generally yes. It is the same in most rivers (Medina, Hamble etc) around the Solent but generally unless you are sailing a dinghy, in which case you will struggle to motor anywhere, the limits are sufficiently high that most yachts (which can motor or sail) will probably not achieve the speeds under sail anyway. Hamble with its 6kn limit is always a fun one.
Old 02 August 2006, 16:48   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
CHI Speed limit

It is interseting that we have been pulled many time for speeding in the harbour and the Harbour patrol are very fair and tell us to slow down later the same day we overtake them in our Dart cat doing in excess of 17 knots and exchange waves! Ivan the RIB driver who was fined had been warned several times and made the mistake of telling them excatly what to do with his speed ticket! So no surprises for them actually doing him good and proper.
It helps if you say you think your saw your young son or daughter just capsize in a OPPY !
Sparke fuel 1.08 l but they have limited supply and next week with FED week I expect even less as we have about 30 RIBS on safety patrol every day .
Old 03 August 2006, 07:33   #14

lurcher

Save me some fuel at sparks please

Will be in wend lunchtime, mid afternoon for it
Old 03 August 2006, 08:50   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
will do ! give us a call on m1 or m2 call sign 'longdog' if you are about
Old 03 August 2006, 09:50   #16

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I used to do all my boating out of chi and occasionally also do rescue duty for HISC. It's a few years back now, but it particularly used to piss me off seeing the harbour master and ILB charging around in the harbour, not attending a rescue, going well in excess of the limit. On one particular occasion they came charging into the harbour together and stopped near camber for doughnuts and a cup of tea!!

They, in particular, should lead be example!! And adopting tactics of hiding to try and catch people out, rather than being a visible deterrent is classic police tactics that pisses the public off. They loved hiding behind the bar beacon, moored boats etc. I agree with the need to have a speed limit, and to enforce it, but I always found their duck and dive tactics to do so deplorable - watched them do it many times when I used to sail in the harbour.

(edit - bit of a caveat. This is about 5 years ago. Mebbe (hopefully) they've changed the crew)
Old 03 August 2006, 10:01   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
From what I have seen the Chichester Harbour patrols seem to be run more as a paramilitary operation than a public service organisation.

I suspect that a Harbour Master who clings to his military rank, plus young patrol crew in uniform with epaulettes, are contributory factors!

John
Old 03 August 2006, 10:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
I used to do all my boating out of chi and occasionally also do rescue duty for HISC. It's a few years back now, but it particularly used to piss me off seeing the harbour master and ILB charging around in the harbour, not attending a rescue, going well in excess of the limit. On one particular occasion they came charging into the harbour together and stopped near camber for doughnuts and a cup of tea!!

They, in particular, should lead be example!! And adopting tactics of hiding to try and catch people out, rather than being a visible deterrent is classic police tactics that pisses the public off. They loved hiding behind the bar beacon, moored boats etc. I agree with the need to have a speed limit, and to enforce it, but I always found their duck and dive tactics to do so deplorable - watched them do it many times when I used to sail in the harbour.

(edit - bit of a caveat. This is about 5 years ago. Mebbe (hopefully) they've changed the crew)
It's not a lot different to the Hamble militia, sorry I mean Harbourmasters, who do the same in their little rib-cat with no purpose. I have seen them speed, with lights, to provide a tow on ONE occasion, otherwise it just seems to be "do as I say, not as I do!".
Old 03 August 2006, 10:17   #19

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
John your knowledge of our H.M

Is quiet staggering we call him peanut in the harbour because he was only half a colonel

Jas
Old 03 August 2006, 10:23   #20

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Classic!!!