Old 01 September 2007, 19:16   #31

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
your idea about the flags at known hotspots near landfall is a good one - lets hope someone does something about it.......
What a load of mince ! .... if you guys are concerned about missing a fin, 15 Yards in front of you, Whilst doing 25 kts, what chance have you, of seeing someone waving a flag on shore? I dont do 25 knots next to the shore.. do you ?

Old 02 September 2007, 02:55   #32

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
Bigmuz,

Lets put this into perspective.... When you go past known coastal firing ranges - you often see a monster flag normally over 500 sqft big - which can be seen from a considerable distance............ This is the type of flag and dimensions i am talking about if a sharkwatch organisation has a lookout on a cliff edge near a deepwater passage or rounding headland used for pleasure/commercial craft - and is a known feeding spot..... Get it.....!

And yes i often do 25 kts close to the shore, as part of the work i do for different agencies in different boats.... if its deep enough and safe enough and not within a speed limit area - whats the problem?

Old 02 September 2007, 09:41   #33

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
Bigmuz
I wasn't doing 25 knots nor was I close into shore at that time the Runnel Stone is about a mile off. We generally cruise at 19-20 knots and sometimes we are close into shore, but then we know the area we cover very well. It wasn't a fin we missed it was a shark underwater so not visible from the surface. Watching sharks both yesterday and today I was very interestedly watching them appear and disappear while considering our near miss the other week. Even when stationery if there is slight chop on the water you don't see sharks just below the surface from a boat. I have 100's of hours experience watching these animals sometimes they are very visible and sometimes not. I think a flag system could work because it is the first thing we would look for when coming into the area. However it would only cover the area immediately around the coast watch station and I have to say this is not where the majority of the sharks have been this year.
Dunc
Old 03 September 2007, 13:19   #34

Town: St John, Cornwall
Boat name: Ningaloo
Make: Ribeye 5.8m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100hp
Hi

Been away from my computer for a while. Seems this has generated a bit of interest.

Firstly, the point of starting the thread was not to "name and shame" people or to point angry fingers, rather to just highlight the cautions we should all take in areas particularly known for wildlife, like the Rummell Stone. Last year, I almost ran over a sunfish in Plymouth Sound so "there butfor the grace of God etc."

The boat in question seemed to be observing the animals rather than on the A to B and seemed to get too close. It wasn't you Dunc. Your outfit has a great reputation and your jet rib is pretty recognisable!!

Since getting my boat, the best experiences I have had have been encounters with wildlife and its a subject close to my heart. We've just all got to be more careful.

By the way, Dunc, love your plastic bag retrieval idea on your website. Now plastic bags and fad butts. I feel another thread coming on!

Jon
Old 03 September 2007, 15:37   #35

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
Thanks for the comments Jonmitch. Plastic bags and marine litter are a real sad sight in the ocean particularly when you think about the damage they can do. We pulled a fridge out the sea a couple of years a go. People seem to think it's the worlds dumping ground.
Dunc
Old 03 September 2007, 17:52   #36

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225

On that note the Smirnoff ad is very apt!!!