Old 13 February 2011, 15:14   #1

Town: Southampton
Length: no boat
Ballistic 7.8

Hi All,

I'm very close to buying a new Balltistic 7.8 with the new Yamaha F300 4-stroke. Before I finalise anything, I thought I'd check on here and see if anyone has any opinions on these boats. Obviously it always depends on what you want to use the boat for, and budget etc etc, but in general, do they hold up well? Any views on build quality also greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 13 February 2011, 15:38   #2

Town: Alderney
Welcome to the forum

My prediction is that a certain fellow islander will approve:

"You can't help but notice this Ballistic is of course entirely black. Yes, entirely, black. Note the detail, even the screw heads to the console were carefully sourced to maintain the theme. But off setting what might be a rather sinister appearance, the teak decking to this model does much to give this craft a truly classy look."

From: http://www.ribmagazine.com/site/inde...d=21&Itemid=84
Old 13 February 2011, 17:08   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark75 View Post
Hi All,

I'm very close to buying a new Balltistic 7.8 with the new Yamaha F300 4-stroke. Before I finalise anything, I thought I'd check on here and see if anyone has any opinions on these boats. Obviously it always depends on what you want to use the boat for, and budget etc etc, but in general, do they hold up well? Any views on build quality also greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
I have only been on a 6.5 so can't really comment on your particular hull. However I found the ride quiet harsh on my trip out into the Solent.

The Ballistic has very agressive chines and whilst these promote good cornering and a crisp handling the downside is that it can be quite a tiring ride in the lumpy stuff.

As for the Yamaha. Loads of people swear by them I have never owned one so can't offer any info however I thought Ballistic favoured the E-tec ?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 17:25   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The scalloped chine makes for a fast and dry hull design, but it is a very firm ride. It's not a bad boat, but won't be to everyone's taste. Have you had a sea trial?

As far as I know they are still built in South Africa, but build quality seems OK.
Old 13 February 2011, 18:36   #5

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Ribs View Post
Welcome to the forum

My prediction is that a certain fellow islander will approve:

"You can't help but notice this Ballistic is of course entirely black. Yes, entirely, black. Note the detail, even the screw heads to the console were carefully sourced to maintain the theme. But off setting what might be a rather sinister appearance, the teak decking to this model does much to give this craft a truly classy look."

From: http://www.ribmagazine.com/site/inde...d=21&Itemid=84
I remember that boat, twas in the factory when I went for a nose round, dread to think how many years ago, 13-14 maybe? And yes, I did approve
Old 13 February 2011, 22:09   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark75 View Post
Hi All,

Many thanks in advance.
We only had the 6.5m - but whilst it may have been a bit "hard", it was certainly well built and very good in the rough. We had a Yamaha 150 4-stroke and it was great. I'd expect the new F300 to be even better!
Trev
Old 14 February 2011, 05:34   #7

Town: Alderney
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
dread to think how many years ago, 13-14 maybe?
It must be at least that since they were sold out of Sparkes, was that where you saw it?