Click Here to Login

Old 26 January 2005, 10:53   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Avon adventure 620 vs humber 630 ocean pro

hello all, this is the first time i have used this forum, so hello! firstly i am looking to replace my zodiac PRO 9 MAN, which has a 50 hp suzuki from 2003, with a larger boat, and have been looking at the avon adventure 620 or the humber ocean pro 630, both would have a suzuki 140hp, and would come in at the 18,000 mark. does anyone know anything about these boats and a direct comparison? sea worthiness? which has deeper vee etc, as i have heard that the avon is a medium vee, but still very good offshore, i use the boat off the mumbles coast, near swansea, and also the north of scotland, achmelvich, lochinver, to the very nroth of scotland. i basically need as much advice as i can get, also if anyone knows how fuel efficient the 140 will be, obviously more thirsty than my current 50hp. but how much? thanks to all responses.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:00   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Jon

we demoed an Avon 620 at the Southampton boat show last year, on the flat at 40 knots the two passengers at the back got covered in spray, now out in a force 5 i'd agree that getting wet goes with the territory, but a boat this size on a flat sea should stay dry, my 4.7 certainly stays dry !

Dont get the wrong idea i lve Avons and have one of my own, but if it were my money i'd go for the Humber !!
Old 26 January 2005, 11:01   #3

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
There is a nice Humber Ocean Pro for sale in the Boats for Sale section that you are welcome to come and try.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2005, 11:10   #4

yes i have heard praises of the humber before, dry ride and good offshore, the basic thing is that as i am buying new i have the choice between getting the boat (avon 620) from bembridge outboards, then sending it to outboards direct where they would fit a suz 140hp instead of the mercury optimax offered by bembridge, bringing the total to just under £18,000, humber however comein at more but they are currently trying to shave their prices to match the avon. where i would buy the humber package all from the one place apposed to different places for outboard and boat with the avon. what their sea capabilities? fuel consumption? ideal tow car? oh, also does anyone know about the quality of the consoles and fittings at bembridge outboards?
Old 26 January 2005, 11:59   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Jon123
I can certainly commend you to Alex's Humber. Here is a piccie of it during last year's South-West Cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmallMarikh1.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	10166  
Old 26 January 2005, 15:06   #6

Thanks Brian (cheque in the post)

Skype - alexgreig
Old 26 January 2005, 16:06   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Hi Jon,

I have just orderred exactly the same set up you are talking about, I have bought an Avon 620 with 140hp Suzuki in the NEW avon navy blue. I have done for a centre consule with single jockeys behind then double jockeys behind them. Then end of last year I sold my Avon 560 with 90hp Suzuki which I was very impressed with, hence I have opted for the 620. Also have organised a sun deck for the front to keep the missus happy.

I understand the Suzuki 140hp will burn at a reasonable cruising speed about 2-4 gallons per hour, so hope this helps.
Old 26 January 2005, 16:28   #8

thanks for your reply, how did you find the avon in the rough stuff? 2-4 gallons an hour is amazing, at full throttle i guess it would burn near the 5 gallons an hour mark. just for interest how much did you get your package for? is it a dry ride? what performance do you get?

does anyone have any advice regarding the humber 6m or 6.3m models?
Old 26 January 2005, 16:32   #9

My advice to you is buy a Humber (mine)

Skype - alexgreig
Old 26 January 2005, 16:42   #10
ADS

Town: Dorset
I think the key to the newer avons is the weight distribution, I have been on an Avon 560 with a Yamaha 100 4 stroke and I was a bit dissappointed. There was a lot of seating at the back which didnt help but the nose never really settled down -it was always a bit high, a bit like a semi displacement!

The Avons are reasonably expensive but the thing I like about them is they are a good cross between a 'med' style boat and a roughty toughty boat like the humber. They are also backed up by avons reputation.
If it were me I would go for the Humber, because I like that style of RIB, but I think IMHO the Avon is more family orientated.

Alex

EDIT Having just said that looking at Gingercoasties advert the jockey seats he has are very safe for young children and family trips!
Old 26 January 2005, 17:43   #11

Town: Llandygai, Bangor
Boat name: AhandAh (R&R)
Make: Maxum
Length: 7m +
Engine: INBOARD DIESEL
Send a message via AIM to Ribster Rache
Humber or Avon

we go ribbing with humber ocean pros and avon adventurers. The humber has a drier ride we feel and rides better in rougher conditions than the Avon. The Avon is very nose light and tends to not get on the plane as easily as the humbers (we've known people to put extra weight in the front of the avon to compensate). Adding weight to a rib is the last thing one needs to do.

Avons don't seem to weather the passage of time as well as Humbers.

Avons definitely look the part and if this is important to you then this may be the one for you but, if all weather capability is important then the Humber is the right choice and we would say a stronger boat.

If we had the choice we would choose the Humber 6.3 Ocean Pro with 150 Mercury or Mariner Optimax! (there are some great prices to be had on these two engines)

Old 26 January 2005, 17:44   #12
RIBnet supporter

I had the same problem when I had my 560 with the 90hp Suzuki, the problem went away when it was up on the plane although you had to give it quite a lot of welly to get it up, had some shark fins fitted which made a big difference although it was still a bum heavy. Taking this into account on my new 620 I have had the whole seating/consule area moved forward to counter this problem.
Old 26 January 2005, 18:03   #13
ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy
I had the same problem when I had my 560 with the 90hp Suzuki, the problem went away when it was up on the plane although you had to give it quite a lot of welly to get it up, had some shark fins fitted which made a big difference although it was still a bum heavy. Taking this into account on my new 620 I have had the whole seating/consule area moved forward to counter this problem.

Good idea, get the console moved forward a little, are you going for the outhill stuff? I ve got an Outhill 2 seater on mine and its fantastic.
The 560 is a nice boat but they do tend to have the bench seat at the back and the console far back, combined with a heavyish engine acceleration is bound to be affected. With the console further forward and an inboard fuel tank you should have a balenced boat.

Alex
Old 26 January 2005, 19:44   #14
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Good idea, get the console moved forward a little, are you going for the outhill stuff? I ve got an Outhill 2 seater on mine and its fantastic.
Alex
Yep having main consule as attached followed by 2 singles then double jockeys behind all done in the new colours to match the tubes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Consule.gif
Views:	187
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	10168   Click image for larger version

Name:	single.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	10169   Click image for larger version

Name:	double.gif
Views:	195
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	10170  
Old 26 January 2005, 19:48   #15
ADS

I remember now, you posted a thread about it! The console with the screen definatly gives more protection over the console with the pods. The Avon 560 I drove had the one with two blue pods on the top and it was a sqweeze to get past it and the tubes.
I expect your looking forward to delivery!
Best of luck with it

Alex
Old 26 January 2005, 20:22   #16

people seem to be preferring the humber, so i will look into it tomorow, after all the capability of a boat is the most important, is the finish inside the humber ocean pro tidy and uncluttered? good finish? also is the hull a true deep vee instead of the slightly shallower vee of the avon, any more thoughts on the suzuki 140hp engine suited to the humber ocean pro 6.3 or 6m and the avon 620, also how would a 115hp suz perform on these boats?
Old 26 January 2005, 21:02   #17

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Engine: Tohatsu
I personally would go for the Humber. I used have one and I was very pleased with it. It has a deeper V than the Avon and the finish is pretty good these days.

I now have a Coastline Rib which has a really deep V and is very soft riding. Have you considered one of those?

[URL=http://www.coastlineribs.co.uk]

they are built on the River Hamble, Southampton.

Martin
Old 26 January 2005, 22:04   #18

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
They're both good boats, demo them both for yourself and judge which ride you like best.
Old 26 January 2005, 22:37   #19

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
You should get on fine with the Suzuki 140 4-stroke engine - having owned one now for just over 2 years, my engine has been faultless. I started it last weekend in a fishbin (cos the dustbin isn't big enough) and it hadn't been started since November last year - as usual, it fired straight away without hesitation. As for fuel consumption, try searching for suzuki 140 fuel or something in the search - it's been discussed a few times now I think

The Humber's are great - I've been out on 5m assaults last year, as well as my own 6m destroyer including a 9m ocean pro a few times. At the yacht club we use the small assaults with 40hp suzuki's - they are very nimble which is great, but the lower bow does mean it is a wetter boat in chop. My boat is surprisingly dry - after my first rib, and talking with a few people, I assumed ribbing was one of these things where you got wet everytime you went out. I can quite happily go out on my boat and come back bone dry provided it hasn't rained.
The ocean pro is better again (I should have bought one) - I prefer the higher bow and it's a bit wider than mine for the same size too.

It certainly might be worth having a look at Alex's Humber 6.3

-Alex
Old 27 January 2005, 10:41   #20

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
we go ribbing with humber ocean pros and avon adventurers. The humber has a drier ride we feel and rides better in rougher conditions than the Avon. The Avon is very nose light and tends to not get on the plane as easily as the humbers (we've known people to put extra weight in the front of the avon to compensate). Adding weight to a rib is the last thing one needs to do.

Avons don't seem to weather the passage of time as well as Humbers.

What about all the ancient Seariders still in service after years of abuse????