Old 13 April 2018, 22:41   #1

Town: Peel
Boat name: Lara
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235103959
Auxiliary Storage

What’s the best place or way to store an auxiliary inside a RIB?
Main OB is a Suzi DT90 and is right on the weight limit of my 5m so can’t have a 5hp bouncing around. Space is also tight.
Auxiliary I’ve got is a 4S 5hp Honda. Weighs about 28kg.

Any ideas

Thanks
Old 13 April 2018, 23:16   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Best place for an auxiliary is on the transom. If you need to deploy quickly, then you can drop anchor, but manoeuvring a 30kg outboard in a rolling sea and securing it comes with its own set of problems.

If it's at all possible then see if it will fit on the transom. You can keep it in the tilt position using a ratchet strap around the power head which feeds through the pull start opening on the cowl and secures to a stainless steel U bolt on the transom knee or deck. The vibration on small outboards can break the tilt lock otherwise. If you need it quickly, just cut the strap.

I've seen auxiliaries mounted behind jockey seats and in front of consoles. They have to be upright and secured at the saddle and skeg.

Even if you don't use it when you're out, still run it like the main engine with fresh water. Salt water gets everywhere and the small telltale stream can block (use strimmer line to clear).

Here's my Mariner 4hp 2-stroke. In the up position the main engine can turn full lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	124217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	124218  
Old 13 April 2018, 23:36   #3

Thanks

That looks tight. My 90 is a fatter lad than your 70 and the auxiliary is a short shaft so a bracket is a necessity. I’d have it on a bracket permanently but I’m bothered about being 30kg overweight all the time and I keep reading horror stories about the lifting brackets breaking.
I thought about keeping it upright behind the jockey but people often stand there as it has a hand hold.
I agree that humping it around in a swell is far from ideal. Don’t see that I have much choice though. I just don’t want it laid on the floor.
Is it possible to reinforce the transom with SS plate?
Old 14 April 2018, 07:31   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Whatever you do don't opt for an adjustable bracket. They're bleed'n awful. There are some good fixed brackets on the market, but check weight rating. I'd still have the outboard tethered for security.

Get some transom pictures up so we can see space and throw in some measurements. Another option could be to get a narrower auxiliary. The Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke should be narrower than your Honda 4-stroke. They come up now and again. Built in 2.5 litre tank, and I think can connect to an auxiliary 12 litre tank. Only 19kg. 310mm width, approximately 700mm hard lock rotation. You can steer with main engine too to a degree.
Old 14 April 2018, 17:36   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I hung mine for a while off the back of the jockey seat with a hard rubber pad for the Skeg to rest on to protect the deck. When I did hang on the transom put it against the tube with a small gap to prevent rub and steamed with the main as a rudder, doesn't matter if the aux is short shaft the prop is still in clear water and at displacement speed (24degrees dead rise)
Old 14 April 2018, 17:57   #6

This is a tough decision if you can't get the current engine on the transom.

For me i would seriously consider selling the Honda and buying a different engine to put on the transom, maybe mariner 3.3 worst case and feather light.

As for short shaft auxiliaries, Im not a fan. If you can put it on transom then chances are it will cavitate to some degree in a swell, If you put it on a fixed bracket you risk submerging it when slowing down or speeding up, or the wake catches up and gives it a bath when you forget it is out there.
Old 15 April 2018, 17:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Whatever you do don't opt for an adjustable bracket. They're bleed'n awful. There are some good fixed brackets on the market, but check weight rating. I'd still have the outboard tethered for security.

Get some transom pictures up so we can see space and throw in some measurements. Another option could be to get a narrower auxiliary. The Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke should be narrower than your Honda 4-stroke. They come up now and again. Built in 2.5 litre tank, and I think can connect to an auxiliary 12 litre tank. Only 19kg. 310mm width, approximately 700mm hard lock rotation. You can steer with main engine too to a degree.

I’ve already heard enough horror stories about auxiliary motors going for a swim so I’ll definitely be factoring in a tether.
Old 15 April 2018, 17:59   #8

I’ve got a couple of transom pics which show how tight space is.

I’m still bothered about weight though. I’m no physics expert but I’m guessing that the forces on the transom are going to be multiplied by the movement, and even worse if it’s slung from a bracket.
A lighter auxiliary doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Having it right next to the tube also makes sense given that I’ll need to rudder with the main OB.

Name:	IMG_5339.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	124246Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5341.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	124247Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5342.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	124248
Old 15 April 2018, 18:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I hung mine for a while off the back of the jockey seat with a hard rubber pad for the Skeg to rest on to protect the deck. When I did hang on the transom put it against the tube with a small gap to prevent rub and steamed with the main as a rudder, doesn't matter if the aux is short shaft the prop is still in clear water and at displacement speed (24degrees dead rise)

What did you use to strap it to the jockey? Anything special or just a strap?

Thanks
Old 15 April 2018, 21:16   #10

RIBase
Just straps, I did a solid aux bracket before I fixed mine on the transom I fixed two together end on to get it clear of the main engine that allowed me to tilt it up clear of the A frame when not in use
Old 15 April 2018, 21:26   #11

Quote:
Just straps, I did a solid aux bracket before I fixed mine on the transom I fixed two together end on to get it clear of the main engine that allowed me to tilt it up clear of the A frame when not in use

[emoji106]
Old 16 April 2018, 09:10   #12

RIBase
just another way i tried fixed to the A frame until i ended up with a plate made getting the AUX as far over as possible with it on fixed steering and using the main to steer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC 1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	124258   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC 2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	124259   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC 3.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	124260  
Old 17 April 2018, 22:39   #13

Quote:
just another way i tried fixed to the A frame until i ended up with a plate made getting the AUX as far over as possible with it on fixed steering and using the main to steer.

Interesting and certainly gives me some options.

Cheers
Old 18 April 2018, 13:51   #14

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
I have one of those Honda 5s and if you're trying to manoevre it on the back of a RIB it'll feel a lot heavier than the quoted 28Kg. I used to carry it strapped across the inboard engine cover on my Excalibur.
http://www.rib.net/forum/members/245...cture7805.html
Then November '16 out in a big sea in the lee of the Fastnet I heaved to to check the straps and came so close to going over the side and concluded it'd be near useless unless it's close to ready to go. There was just no way I could have safely unstrapped it and got it onto the transom bracket without losing it and/or me over the side. Fine in less troubled water but not when it's anyway gnarly. I sought out a Mercury 5Hp 2stroke shortshaft and I'm looking at either a bracket on the A-Frame or a custom extended bracket onto the transom.

I also used to carry that Honda 5 ready to go on the transom of my widebodied Cobra 5.4. It's weight made it problematic to get the bow down when testing the Honda backup resulting in a strong tendency for the wind to blow the bow downwind. Once sorted it could drive it along at a decent lick but I recommend you at least test run that engine directly on the transom, it just may not work - especially solo with no-one to send to the bow to keep it down in a wind. I preferred to carry my ancient 3.3 Mariner which was light and did a nice job.
Your A-frame means you'll probably have to go with the rigid extended bracket advocated here but that may exacerbate the potential bow-up issue.
There's a company here https://www.donedeal.ie/boatextras-f...kets-/15471688 selling a bracket that winches the mounting pad up a rail to the gunw'l (or Aframe?) allowing it to be secured clear of the water with the centre of gravity a bit further inboard but very rapid deployment. Might inspire someone on here!
Old 18 April 2018, 14:42   #15

RIBase
good point on thier a bugger to fit in bad weather i had a lanyard fixed to mine pic 2 set so it would fit only on the bracket not below all you have then is swing it into position it wasn't ideal but better than nothing but the plate worked well only just enough clearance for the main engine to slew
Old 19 April 2018, 12:48   #16

Can’t beat someone’s personal experience. The weight on the back end is already a concern so handling may be a real problem. Think that you have convinced me to get it out on the water first.
Old 19 April 2018, 14:32   #17

RIBase
must admit none of the ways i tried were spot on, i either had it look neat but didnt steer or stuck out on a long bracket too far to do anything to it if i had a problem i settled for the transom plate but did think of an outrigger off the A frame over the tube but its putting the thing on when its rough you really want it ready to go. steering with a fix AUX engine position was ok as a get you home might be a bit tedious berthing in the marina but your safe thats the main thing
Old 27 June 2023, 20:55   #18

Town: cork
Boat name: na
Make: na
Engine: na
Hi all.does an a frame bracket exist for storing aux motors or did ye do custom jobs?
Old 20 July 2023, 21:06   #19

Town: cork
Boat name: na
Make: na
Engine: na
Another question folks, do I need a transom bracket or could I just pop it over the transom? I haven't a lot of space so a bracket sticking out could restrict steering of the main. It's a long shaft Suzuki aux I have
Old 20 July 2023, 22:51   #20

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Always on the transom and ready to use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211016_122125577_iOS.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	187.6 KB