Old 09 July 2014, 16:58   #1

Town: Orpington and Lymington
Boat name: Charrnah
Make: 6.5m Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 150
Australia

Hey I'm going to Sydney in a few weeks time for work! I have a spare weekend so was thinking of boating activities!

Other than the ferries does anyone know if there are any rib / boaty type things you can do there?

I have RYA PB lvl 2 but I'm assuming it won't be accepted there without the icc bit?
Old 09 July 2014, 23:50   #2

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Biffer rented a hard boat and cruised around Sydney Harbour. Someone like ozboathire.com.au. Biffer might be able to point you in the right direction.

When will you be here? It is winter here but we still get out a bit so never know your luck in the big city.
Old 10 July 2014, 07:45   #3

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Morning lads, you have got to visit kubcat when you're there, he's a good man, boat wise, there are a number of hire companies and they seem to have different rules to hire, my best advice would be inter web search.
The harbour is vast so keep and eye on your charts coz it's easy to get lost, my son is into jet boats and lives in neutral bay just across from the opera house, but he's over here at the moment
Old 10 July 2014, 09:09   #4

As for RIBs, some of our water taxis are RIBs, so easy to get a ride if you want. I don't think anyone hires RIBs. RMS.nsw.gov.au is the organisation in charge of vehicle and marine licensing, they are the ones to ask if your licence is valid or not. I expect it would be for anything except a jet ski.

Biffer, did your son find someone to sort out his boat? I spoke to him about my sons friend who owns the Seadoo dealer near me. Not sure where we left it as I was way too busy with work at the time.
Old 10 July 2014, 17:54   #5

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubcat View Post
As for RIBs, some of our water taxis are RIBs, so easy to get a ride if you want. I don't think anyone hires RIBs. RMS.nsw.gov.au is the organisation in charge of vehicle and marine licensing, they are the ones to ask if your licence is valid or not. I expect it would be for anything except a jet ski.

Biffer, did your son find someone to sort out his boat? I spoke to him about my sons friend who owns the Seadoo dealer near me. Not sure where we left it as I was way too busy with work at the time.

Not sure if he got it sorted as I've been busy also, last time we talked he was going down the new ecu route, I'll be seeing him soon and catch up, hope you are all well over there, regards
Old 10 July 2014, 19:47   #6

Thanks guys I will be there from 23rd to 31st mainly working but could have a free weekend not sure in that just yet depends what they have lined up for me - will have a look at oz boat hire
Old 30 July 2014, 02:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner-paul View Post
Thanks guys I will be there from 23rd to 31st mainly working but could have a free weekend not sure in that just yet depends what they have lined up for me - will have a look at oz boat hire

How did you go?

If you are still around this Sunday we need to do a bit of maintenance on the trailer so if the weather isn't too bad we will probably have a few beers on Lunasea. You are invited, for the beers that is.
Old 02 August 2014, 07:29   #8

Hey had a good time in Sydney unfortunately didn't do any boating related activities but still had fun! Thanks for the offer but I flew back to U.K. on Thursday afternoon otherwise I would have joined you