Click Here to Login

Old 04 February 2003, 10:08   #21

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Re: what an advert for tohatsu

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
.....what's peoples opinions of tohatsu as outboards ..... ?
I am told by a Japanese friend of mine that Tohatsu Engines are THE outboard engines most of the working boats in Japan use. Reliability 99.9999% and work for years without any major servicing (appart from a gear oil and a fuel filter change).
However, I believe that AP who had been in Japan may be able to give some more info about those engines.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2003, 10:15   #22

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
I hate to say this but I do not remember seeing a single Tohatsu engine. Everything was either Yamaha or Honda. Alan P
Old 04 February 2003, 11:33   #23

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
May be it wasn't very popular where you went Alan LOLOL
Any way I was only told about it. Don't realy know about those motos my self. Never ever had one.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2003, 11:53   #24

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Tohatsu

Never had one my self but I heard they are very reliable, Are'nt they part of Nissan motors.

Julian
Old 04 February 2003, 12:25   #25

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Here is the man himself, Dr Alain Bombard, holding a model of his SIB (which looks remarkably like 'Quicksilver'). Well at least I take it that it IS the model!

Keith (Orkney or Bust) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3omb2.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1671  
Old 04 February 2003, 12:35   #26

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Greetings
Having seen the footage for the greenpeace SIB's having fun at Marchwood Miltary Dock last night, it was quite impressive for those not use to seeing SIBs flooded and still working. It looked like the Mariner 4 strokes were still running also, tough little beasties!
Jelly
Old 04 February 2003, 17:36   #27

Town: Cheltenham
I've never had trouble getting water into a boat, only getting it out!

Tiger
Old 04 February 2003, 18:34   #28

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
The plot thickens: Alain Bombard

In our April and June '98 issues, we ran articles on Dr. Alain Bombard's experiment in living off the sea while sailing across the Atlantic in a small inflatable in 1952. While no one doubts that Bombard made it across the Atlantic, not everyone believes he did it living entirely off the sea - as he claimed. Indeed, many experts believe Bombard's assertion - that shipwreck victims could survive indefinitely by drinking limited amounts of saltwater and the juice squeezed from fish chunks - was both incorrect and irresponsible.

One of Bombard's biggest critics was/is Dr. Hannes Linde-mann, a German doctor who met and was inspired by Bombard just before the French doctor took off across the Atlantic. Starting in October of 1955, Lindemann crossed the Atlantic from the Canaries to Haiti in 65 days aboard a 25-foot long, 2.5-foot wide dugout canoe. Just nine months after completing that trip, Lindemann crossed the Atlantic from the Canaries to St. Martin in 72 days, this time with a 17-foot long, 36-foot wide stock Klepper folding kayak!

According to Alone At Sea, the book which Lindemann wrote shortly after his crossings, everyone at the Real Club Nautico in Las Palmas watched Bombard load his raft "to the brim" with 25 gallons of water and enough food for three months before he left. Lindemann also charges that Bombard twice took on provisions from passing ships - and that photographs of one such incident appeared in Dutch newspapers.

Lindemann - who was so adverse to publicity that he didn't even tell his family until after he completed the voyages - calmy disputes both of Bombard's main tenets. Lindemann says that his experiments at sea - as well as many by other notable doctors ashore - proved that saltwater is not potable. In addition, Lindemann reported that he was unable to get any useful fluids by crushing chunks of fish. Lindemann advises shipwreck victims without water to avoid eating fish.

Lindemann's book offers much more specific observations and recommendations than did Bombard's, which in truth offered very little. Lindemann also reports that Bombard wasn't the first to sail across the Atlantic in a raft. He claims it had been done in 1868 with a raft called Nonpareil, and in a folding rubber boat by Capt. Franz Romer in 1928.

The English version of Alone at Sea was long out of print when Peter Schwierzke, a sailor who owns Klepper West/Western Folding Kayak Center in the Central Valley, convinced a reluctant Lindemann to let him republish the English version - along with a new chapter summarizing what was learned from the two crossings. This fascinating book, complete with color photographs, is available at $20 - a discounted price for Latitude readers - by calling Schwierzke at (530) 626-8647. We highly recommend it.

Lindemann is one of those older gentlemen - he's 75 now - who mistakenly believes that nobody cares about the achievements of his youth. Yet when his folding kayak, on permanent display in Munich's prestigious Duetches Museum, was loaned to another museum in Bonn, Lindemann was asked to appear. Although only several hundred people were expected to attend, a crowd of 2,000 - many of them from other countries - packed the auditorium to hear Lindemann speak.

If it was a life and death situation, we'd follow Lindemann's recommendations.
Old 04 February 2003, 18:56   #29

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Have a look at some of

these amazing contraptions used over the years to cross the Atlantic

http://www.famoussmallboats.com/

There's one boat 3 foot long which didn't quite make it, I wonder why ?

It seems there are no more records to be broken when it comes to crossing the atlantic

Pic of a 6 foot "bath tub" which did east to west crossing in 1965

link to a 4 foot crossing !

http://www.btinternet.com/~dov/ngp/Atlantic99.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathtub1.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1672  
Old 04 February 2003, 19:01   #30

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Is Peter Kay Alain Bombard's son?

Keith Hart
Attached Images

Old 04 February 2003, 20:22   #31

Boat name: ONYX
Make: HALMATIC PACIFIC 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: FORD MERMAIDtd 140HP
Food and drink...

Before I set sails for Atlantic crossing, I read a book of Alain Bombarde of course! I'd been thinking about His diet, but at least I decided to take 120 ltrs of water (2 l/day) and food (freez dry)for 100 days. If not that provisions, I could die! I didn't had many fishes around, and only 2 or 3 flying fishes landed inside of my RIB! The biggest was some 2 in long!
When I capsized I lost half of the water. For 2 days I didn't drink anything apart of licking drops of rainwater. After righting "Cena Strachu" to correct position, I decided to drink only 1 l/day, becouse I'd been affraid, that I'll run out of water before I set foot on land. I didn't lost much food when the RIB was bobing up side down on the waves.
I read a book of Bombard a couple of times, but I spoke to many people, and avery one advised me: don't drink sea water! So followed advice and didn't drink it.

On the site
http://www.naszsklep.com/strefaprzyg.../atlantyk.html
is a few pictures of my RIB, but text is in Polish only