Old 09 June 2008, 23:51   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Are you insured while pulling your boat?

Just renewed my insurance with Craftinsure. I'm definately not insured while the boat is being trailered. Yes I'm covered for loss at sea, stolen and damaged, etc .

The conditions of my policy seem quite strict, and really only covers me for launch and retrieve. I drive at 60 mph tops, and always double-check ropes and ratchet belts before setting off. Bearings are renewed annually and tyres are as good as new.

Still - it takes a careless driver to rear-end you, or a blow-out due to road debris, and then where are you?

Any better policies out there?
Old 10 June 2008, 07:20   #2

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
I'm with Porthcawl, They DO cover whilst in transit. See their website for more details:

http://www.porthcawl-insurance.co.uk...1/default.aspx

Tim
Old 10 June 2008, 07:21   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
I would be speaking with your broker and having the policy changed. Alan Priddy had an unfortunate incident in France with a large Ribtec and there is another Solent 6.5m that turned over on the M3 fortunately without to much damage, but as you say it could happen.

Pete
Old 10 June 2008, 07:46   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
I'm with Towergate Mardon

They cover for

Transport by road, rail, air or ferry for a boat upto 9 m long + launching and recovery including using a crane

Jim
Old 10 June 2008, 09:08   #5

Town: North Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mary Olwen
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Doesn't your motor insurance cover you when you're towing? I looked into this and we are covered under the University's motor policy for damage to the boat and/or trailer when towing, provided the boat is 'securely attached' to the trailer. Quite what 'securely attached' means in insurance terms is probably a debatable point!
Old 10 June 2008, 12:40   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry_Doc View Post
Doesn't your motor insurance cover you when you're towing? I looked into this and we are covered under the University's motor policy for damage to the boat and/or trailer when towing, provided the boat is 'securely attached' to the trailer. Quite what 'securely attached' means in insurance terms is probably a debatable point!
I think that it would be unusual to cover damage to the boat. And by definition it doesn't cover the risk that the boat becomes unsecure and damaged.

The norm is that 3rd party risks (damage to other persons, vehicles, etc) are covered under the vehicle insurance whether caused by the boat/trailer/car etc.

Accidental damaage caused to the trailer itself, or the boat either by your own fault or that of another driver would not normally be covered by the car policy but can be included in the boat policy.
Old 11 June 2008, 16:00   #7

Town: Staffordshire
Boat name: Pacific 9134
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
MMSI: 232043887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
I'm with Porthcawl, They DO cover whilst in transit. See their website for more details:

http://www.porthcawl-insurance.co.uk...1/default.aspx

Tim

If I were you I'd check your small print very carefully, I do not want to mention details as I have a claim ongoing, but you'l find the 'Three Stokes Guide' which they use, is way off the mark when it comes to reimbursement values!
Old 11 June 2008, 16:25   #8

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Pamela
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 80 EFi
MMSI: 235059536
I tow for both work and pleasure and both motor policies do not cover the boat when trailing. The trailer is covered, but not the boat on it. I have arranged separate cover for the boats on the boat's own policies; ie an addition to the policies which cover the boat in use. This wasn't an expensive option but very important as without it the boat would be completely vulnerable if there was an accident on the road.
Old 12 June 2008, 14:57   #9

Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
I tow for both work and pleasure and both motor policies do not cover the boat when trailing. The trailer is covered, but not the boat on it. I have arranged separate cover for the boats on the boat's own policies; ie an addition to the policies which cover the boat in use. This wasn't an expensive option but very important as without it the boat would be completely vulnerable if there was an accident on the road.
My motor insurers cover 10% of the car's insured value for trailers. Car is ancient, so boat needs to be cheaper than £300. Oh, by the way my excess is £500!

Since my RIB is worth several times more than the car (and a hell of lot more than £300) it is insured with Portcawl for towing.
Old 13 June 2008, 09:32   #10

Length: no boat
RIB Insurance in Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Just renewed my insurance with Craftinsure. I'm definately not insured while the boat is being trailered.
I suspect that your boat is insured for damage and theft while being towed and that it's just the third party liability section of your policy that is excluded while being towed. The liability in transit is covered by the vehicle's insurance and having double insurance would be counter-productive if an incident were to occur.

This is common on all boat insurance policies I've seen and should not be a cause for concern. Of course check this with Craft Insure and if you're not satisfied with their answers cancel the policy and get the cover elsewhere.

Jon

RIB Insurance
- Instant on-line quotations and immediate insurance.

Search our directory of RIBs For Sale
Noble Marine is offline   Reply With Quote