Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 May 2007, 14:15   #1

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Are Ballistic props any good???

As title really- anyone out there use a Ballistic prop, if so what are they like?

Thanks.
Old 09 May 2007, 08:01   #2

Town: Yarmouth
Boat name: 74 Rouge
Make: Aquavite
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 O/B
Have not always had the best reputation - but I have had some pretty good results with them.

We have used them for racing - and found them to pretty good medium to rough weather props. They are particuarly good at maintaining revs in such conditions or when trimming in. However they raely gave us the best top end speed.

I know of others who use them as a base prop and modify to suit - sometimes heavily modify!
Old 09 May 2007, 08:22   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
As your probably not going to be racing with one, I'd have to disagree with Adam and say that they are excellent value for money, and a superb propeller. They have the added attraction of being supplied with a really nice storage box.
Old 09 May 2007, 10:07   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: Ceasar Surfcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
You cand beat a bit of differing oppinions can you eh.

You're right, im not going to be racing, im just after a prop that will give me some good allround performance for when im in the boat by myself-at the moment, im running the std 13" ally prop on my 30hp, which is great for kneeboarding/ringo ect, but when me and my friends go out by ourselves(theres 4 of us with Bombard Aerotec380's!!) i find that its a bit under propped even though when trimmed correctly im getting 30 odd knots(the boat weighs less than the engine!).
From the bit of searching i've done, Ballistic seem to be the only performance prop that do a 15" pitch for my Tohatsu.
Im also considering getting a set of Smart tabs to help getting on the plane when theres extra weight on board.