Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Re: Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
...would Michael Schumaker post a reply offering to let me borrow his tools for the weekend

Probably not...
I doubt he'd let you have a copy of the plans for his latest World Championship winning car either. Cheers Alan. You might not have made it all the way round, but you're certainly a winner.

Matt

Old 07 December 2002, 06:15   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Matiboy,

- have you booked anywhere yet?

If not, you probably need to get cracking - the seaside places get booked quickly. We often use "Chez Nous" who have cottages / gites and caravans.

It sounds like Morbihan would be ideal for what you want, but because it's so popular lots of people book year on year (we learnt to book 18mths in advance). Golfe du Morbihan is the huge inlet near Vannes which Charles described - there's loads of islands to explore (some with villages, some privately owned) and the city of Vannes at the northren shore has some beautiful medieval parts. At the exit to the sea, the currents are wicked (watch the yachties going backwards!) but you'll be OK with 50 horses. There's a huge marina at Port du Crouesty to the seaward of the eastern peninsula, where property prices are almost as unaffordable as the UK and holiday rentals accordingly expensive. Lots of new development around, unlike the western peninsula (Locmariaquer), where it's more remote. There's the French answer to Stonehenge up there too at Carnac (Les Alignements).

My preference would be to stay a little further up the coast to the west, where it's quieter and the rentals are more affordable, and to travel down the N165 to visit the surrounding areas.

Old 07 December 2002, 11:40   #13

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
PLEASE SEND INFO!

My ears have pricked up at all this talk of Brittany and slipways. If anyone knows of any slipways please please send them in to www.boatlaunch.co.uk as we often get asked about that coastline and it sounds fantastic. We should have a big update on Ireland before Christmas and northern France is top of the To Do list.

The attached picture is the slipway at the marina with a frenchman launching Dave Mallett style
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stmalomarina3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1452  
Old 07 December 2002, 12:48   #14

Town: Salisbury
any other

pics of recommended harbours etc please post
Old 07 December 2002, 13:46   #15

Have a google search with a few place names - here's a some of the more interesting ones:

http://www.golfedumorbihan.com/

http://www.hku.nl/~ben/concarn.html

http://www.bretagne-celtic.com
Old 07 December 2002, 14:07   #16

Morbihan

certainly looks like it has lots of islands to explore

only now got to find out where it is ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	golfe1.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1453  
Old 07 December 2002, 14:11   #17

Morbihan

loads of islands and sheltered water, does anyone know if this dry's out at all at low tide ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cgolfe.gif
Views:	114
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1454  
Old 07 December 2002, 14:40   #18

Re: Morbihan

Quote:
Originally posted by matiboy
...now got to find out where it is ?
This should help a little...

Quote:
does anyone know if this dry's out at all at low tide ?
- Mrs Pepper reliably informs me that only the smaller creeks dry out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	map of france + arrow (lowres).jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1455  
Old 07 December 2002, 15:56   #19

Pepper

we have seen a campsite in Baden through motours brochure who we booked with last year, have you been to this particular area ?

How would I find out if there are any slips in this particular area ?

Rather than take the rib on a trailer it might be easier to take a sib in roofbox with small outboard, I know of one which is currently lying around doing nothing which I can borrow

What is aprox distance / drive time from St Malo

It looks a lovely area with a huge sheltered inlet to explore
Old 07 December 2002, 17:51   #20

Matiboy,

I've never been to Baden - I assume that it's the place half way between Auray and Vannes?

If it's the Baden that I've seen on the map, I think this will be a good location. You'd be away from the busy presqu'il de Rhuys, but near enough to nip across to Port Navalo and enjoy lunch in the quayside cafe without worrying about parking on a busy summer's day.

I wouldn't worry about finding about slipways in advance, as it's a bit like the Hamble - lots of slips like Swanwick, Hamble, Warsash, etc... And the French look upon it as a RIGHT to be able to launch a boat and go fishing or maintain their lobster pots. And in fact I've had a quick surf (google again) and found you a slipway at Port Blanc, less than 5km away: Port Blanc, Morbihan - what a superb web site!!! - look at the link on the left ("La vie du port"), and then click on "Le port en image" when the sub-menu drops down. the first thumbnail shows you that the only problem you'll have is finding space amongst the dinghies.

Now, if you're considering taking a SIB instead of that lovely 5m RIB of yours, I reckon you shoud do a swop with me so I can take your RIB on holiday with me and you can take my SIB!

As far as journey times go, I'm not sure what it's like from St Malo, as we normally go on the Plymouth-Roscoff route. This is partly for personal reasons, as we meet friends & family in Plymouth, and partly to do the driving on "familiar" UK roads, than have a short journey in France. We've learnt to keep to the dual carriageways in Brittany for the arrival/departure journeys, as they are reliably quiet, fast and easy, and found that attempting to go cross-country can be slow and tiring (A-roads can be more like B-roads) . There are no toll roads in Brittany. We've also found that the Plymouth-Roscoff ferry times work well - outward journey at 3pm Saturday allows enough daytome travelling with a reasonably early start, and the 10pm arrival at Roscoff means that midnight to 1am arrival is sort of ok, but I guess that with children and going to a camp site, it could be unacceptable. An overnight en route could be better - we usually use Formule 1 or Premiere Classe as they're really dead, dead cheap (~20 a room per night) and they're all out of town (usually on an industrial estate) so no problem parking, leaving luggage in car, or even leaving a trailer hitched. (Alternatively Ibis Hotels can be useful. There's one at Landivisiau which is handy for Roscoff. Not useful for much else, as Landivisiau is the most boring place in France, IMHO.) Coming back, we usualy take the 11pm sailing (allows time for a leisurely journey back up country) and book cabins. Arrival back in Plymouth is about 6am. And last time we did this there was a cabaret on the boat with an excellent illusionist.

Of course, we will expect a FULL rib.net report on your expedition!