Old 07 January 2014, 10:52   #41

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I'm looking at buying a used Ribcraft 4.8. If I bought this one would it be possible to change the layout to 2 x side by side jockeys in the rear. Alternatively would I be able to fit a bench seat behind the 2 existing jockey seats?

Am I being too ambitious? Is the 4.8 just too small for my needs? Any advice from a 4.8 owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hello hope you are well, what you need is a nice white Humber assault with jockey and bench sea at (apologies to all, private joke)

In my experience you may need to go above the 4.8 to get enough beam width to get two in side by side, the ribcraft 4.8 is a lovely boat that is very capable.

The other issue from memory is that ribcraft normally glass their seat pods in so you may end up having quite a bit of work on your hands to swap to a double.

I would continue to keep your eyes open, one will come along
Old 07 January 2014, 12:06   #42

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I don't think you'll get side by side jockeys on a 4.8, it's quite tight on my RC5.3.

give Ribcraft a ring & see what's possible, or if the have built any 4.8s to that configuration. There aren't many sub 5.5m hulls wide enough for practicable side by side jockeys.
Old 07 January 2014, 12:26   #43

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I'm looking at buying a used Ribcraft 4.8. If I bought this one would it be possible to change the layout to 2 x side by side jockeys in the rear. Alternatively would I be able to fit a bench seat behind the 2 existing jockey seats?

Am I being too ambitious? Is the 4.8 just too small for my needs? Any advice from a 4.8 owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I think you're being overly ambitious for what is still a relatively small boat. The Ribcraft 5.3m would allow side by side jockeys and a rear bench, or alternatively the Ribeye A500, however both models are relatively rare second-hand.

The Ribcraft 4.8 is either sold with a single jockey or double-jockey set up. It is frustrating seating-wise, but you need to think about how often you would have others on-board to justify a bigger boat.

The Ribeye rear seats look excellent. Other bench seats I've seen (such as leisure Zodiac-range) sit too high up and don't have the padding or security that you would require. Depends very much on the sea conditions you take the boat out in, whose on board, age ranges, etc.
Old 07 January 2014, 14:04   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: El Presidente
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Outboard, 70hp, 2st
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit3 View Post
Hello hope you are well, what you need is a nice white Humber assault with jockey and bench sea at (apologies to all, private joke)

In my experience you may need to go above the 4.8 to get enough beam width to get two in side by side, the ribcraft 4.8 is a lovely boat that is very capable.

The other issue from memory is that ribcraft normally glass their seat pods in so you may end up having quite a bit of work on your hands to swap to a double.

I would continue to keep your eyes open, one will come along
Your Humber is fab, we love it. We had so much fun jumping it out of the waves in Spain last year, that we shattered the base of the bench seat, it's on my list of things to do. ;-)

If I could find the identical boat I'd buy it tomorrow. :-)
Old 07 January 2014, 18:00   #45

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
my mate has a 4.8 with rear bench seat. its funny, he rang me as he was deciding whether to buy it or not cos he wasnt sure about the colour!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	88914  
Old 07 January 2014, 18:04   #46

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Ha ha i saw that one at falfied for sale just before they went bust.. Hope he got a good deal.. Minty freshness or what. Nice engine tho!!

Tags
rib