Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 July 2006, 07:59   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Lostboy is your mate with the bad leg called Norman?
He may be!
__________________

__________________
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 09:02   #22
Member
 
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Boat name: La Bamba
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: F100 Yam / 5Hp Suz
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 707
Look somebody has got to ask.......

What his good leg called ?

No Offence meant guys !

If it's good enough for Dick van Dyke...........

Bern
__________________

__________________
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 09:07   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck
What his good leg called ?

No Offence meant guys !

If it's good enough for Dick van Dyke...........

Bern
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 15:54   #24
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton
Couldnt agree more!

On another note, I was standing on the slipway today with 6 customers when there was a big bang behind us. A boat on its trailer had come off a car while launching, it rolled down the slip in to a parked car which got pushed in to another car.

Now whos insurance does this go off? car or boat?

Jono
Both I think! If I remember rightly my car insurance covers damage to 3rd parties from "run away trailers". But any damage to the boat comes off the boats insurance.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 16:20   #25
Member
 
Country: France
Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 41
Still, so sad to think these people have lost their lifes for lack of a proper safety equipment/training.

Just in case some of you didn't know it, the rules are different in France. You need a license to operate a boat if the engine is bigger than 6HP. Doesn't mean that the licensed ones are competent but they're supposed to have had the opportunity to learn at least.
There is a mandatory set of safety equipment to keep on board as well, including flares and life jackets but the passengers don't have to wear the life jackets at all times, you are just supposed to have them on board, available.
Authorities regularly perform routine checks for the safety equipment and license and you can be fined/jailed/stripped of your license if you break the rules.

Well, even with rules, there are accidents when people choose to ignore them.
__________________
le_forban29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 19:30   #26
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 885
Both I think! If I remember rightly my car insurance covers damage to 3rd parties from "run away trailers". But any damage to the boat comes off the boats insurance.

Not on your nelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - and this is the basic problem ---- where "we"
belgiums ( ha ha he says) has the advantage.

Car insurance will cover a trailer provided it conforms to the MMA of the vehicle while , and here's the catch.. it is attached to the car. In Belgium , trailers over 500 kgs payload MUST have a separate insurance, a special plate , and pass the MOT .This came into being because of the horror stories of runaway trailers causing damage and in some cases fatalities.For once- this makes sense.

In the case described-you will probaly find that the insurance comanies will, naturally decline responsabilty and the onus will fall on the pepetrator( is that how you spell it ??)

Jonathan
__________________
eupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 14:39   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Jersey
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10
Erin is right we have JY boat registration and all that - but still last year a local beach waterski company sunk a speed boat off Gorey - overloaded ? allowed the wake to catch up ? transom too low - no idea but sink it did - paying customers left floating about. Bad scene.

Qualifications or registration can't make up for experience - or common sense, you always end up with the minimum standard
__________________
Dan Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 07:03   #28
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Not on your nelly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - and this is the basic problem ---- where "we"
belgiums ( ha ha he says) has the advantage.

Car insurance will cover a trailer provided it conforms to the MMA of the vehicle while , and here's the catch.. it is attached to the car. In Belgium , trailers over 500 kgs payload MUST have a separate insurance, a special plate , and pass the MOT .This came into being because of the horror stories of runaway trailers causing damage and in some cases fatalities.For once- this makes sense.

In the case described-you will probaly find that the insurance comanies will, naturally decline responsabilty and the onus will fall on the pepetrator( is that how you spell it ??)

Jonathan
I have checked my car policy and it makes no specific reference to the trailer being attached to the car; and I believe the wording is such that a good lawyer would be able to claim the trailer was covered (as it was being towed - which is the terminology used) at the point the causative event happened.

However my boat insurance (which covers the trailer against theft etc) also covers damage caused by the trailer when "not attached to a motor vehicle". I believe this is really for the event that I push it into something (or manually let it roll down the slip) - rather than it becoming decoupled from the car.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2006, 13:29   #29
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana
I do think thatover regulation and a nanny state, which is happening in this country has gone to far...... ......and not the sort of registrations that are purelly money grabbing. by local counsills. and have little or no effect on safety. as is the case in wales, travel down south, no registration, enough said
So are you saying that you think that the way they do it in North Wales is wrong? Or that they are grabbing?

12 to register a powerboat is hardly going to break the bank.

It means that you have to show the HM that it's insured, and that the HM has the details of the owner and the vessel. If there is a problem with that vessel (i.e. he's a plonker) then he is easily traced. And it means that technically, every boat in the waters of North Wales should be insured (nice to know when that plonker hits you).

And a stern word from the HM if you have been reported for misbehaving is a big incentive not to repeat it. A notice 59 (or is it 80?) would focus your attention, and if you got a second one, bye bye boat. If that sort of incentive is whats needed to get people to be more sensible...then I think it's probably a good thing. And all for 12.

I don't believe in the nanny state - but until you can prosecute people for stupidity, what else can you do? I helped the ILB a few weeks ago when they were called out to a 16ft day boat who's engine has stopped (the fuel connector wasn't pushed in properly). When the ILB got there, there were 9 people on board . With 2 lifejackets .

Ah well...

D...
__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2006, 17:48   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 488
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
So are you saying that you think that the way they do it in North Wales is wrong? Or that they are grabbing?

12 to register a powerboat is hardly going to break the bank.

It means that you have to show the HM that it's insured, and that the HM has the details of the owner and the vessel. If there is a problem with that vessel (i.e. he's a plonker) then he is easily traced. And it means that technically, every boat in the waters of North Wales should be insured (nice to know when that plonker hits you).

And a stern word from the HM if you have been reported for misbehaving is a big incentive not to repeat it. A notice 59 (or is it 80?) would focus your attention, and if you got a second one, bye bye boat. If that sort of incentive is whats needed to get people to be more sensible...then I think it's probably a good thing. And all for 12.

I don't believe in the nanny state - but until you can prosecute people for stupidity, what else can you do? I helped the ILB a few weeks ago when they were called out to a 16ft day boat who's engine has stopped (the fuel connector wasn't pushed in properly). When the ILB got there, there were 9 people on board . With 2 lifejackets .

Ah well...

D...
Firstly, im not saying that registation is wrong if it did actually do what its supposed to, but as soon as youve registered either by post or to the harbour
master in person. whos to say that the person in control of the vessell ,is the keeper or the insured. without going the full route of a license with identity.Then take account of all the private beeches with boats launching ,no insurance or registration, Most of my boating is in North wales. with familly and kids so safetyand enjoyment is my main concern,but the current system of a 12 registration seems inadequate to say the least.But i suppose that you have to start somwhere. It allso appears that most people on this forum are safety sonscious, may be the fact that ribs tend to cover bigger distances in more challenging conditions,but then back to the rant. Nanny state, Health and safety. Dont climb that! lift that!do this! do that! but you can, launch a 250,000 cruiser,with no qualifications, and then drive it out to sea. as long as youve paid your 12 registration.and can afford the fuel to get out the harbour. We had the customs and excise round our way this week, prosecuting people for running on cooking oil,I might open a chip shop in pwythelli next year
__________________

__________________
Top banana
Top banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.