Old 05 June 2013, 22:00   #11
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
There is no way I would recommend the OP's anchor nor a grapnel for a boat used around Morro Bay. Your bottom substrates should be about the same as mine, with either sand or rocks. The OP's anchor won't hold in the sand at all. Grapnels can close on their own, and even if they do stay extended they just don't have enough holding power on a windy day with larger swells. Either a Danforth, or a claw type anchor with the chain either the boat length or just a few feet longer. If the chain is too long and heavy, whomever is pulling the anchor is going to hate you! I don't personally use a swivel, as I am cheap and don't ever want to feel bad about cutting my anchor loose. I carry just over 300' of three strand line, and keep all of it in a milk crate.

Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2013, 14:02   #12
Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Dont know about Morro Bay but do know that you can only use either of the above 2 Anchors in a very casual manner ie;when you are still in the boat but want to stop for a break etc.The Bruce 2KG+2m Chain+30 M Rope,would perform better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor-Bruce 2KG+2m Chain+30 M Rope..jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	81073  

Boatnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2013, 14:07   #13
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
+1 on a bruce or delta.

I long ago gave up on grapple and folding anchors, they don't hold when you want/need them to.
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 12:37   #14
Town: Morro Bay
Make: Avon Inflatable
Engine: Tahatsu 40
Originally Posted by ZacOps View Post
I am thinking about an anchor for my Avon SR4.

This Wavetake collapsible

anchor seems convenient especially because it saves space on a small boat. Cast-iron coated PVC and stores flat. I have 4ft of coated rode and 22 ft of galvanized chain then three strand nylon. 3:1 scope recommended on this 18 lb anchor.

Any thoughts?

Also how should I connect the chains to the crown and each other? Rope I will braid in.

Anchor worked well at the lake. Algae turned the white nylon rope greenish. Added a stainless steel carabiner to clip in quickly at the right length.

Going to upgrade nylon for the ocean. Black 1/2 inch.

Rock out with your RIB out
ZacOps is offline   Reply With Quote