tsw

Town: Gorran Haven
Boat name: Anchor Management
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp EFI mariner
AM I MAD? channel crossing in Avon adventure

I have an Avon Adventure 4.5m paired with a 60 Mariner EFI 4 stroke
the boat is solid and the engine is very reliable I regularly travel reasonable distances in some decent chop around Cornwall.

I am planning to travel directly across the channel from cornwall (Gorran Haven) to some suitable location in France as direct as possible)

almost everyone I have discussed this with has suggested im crazy but the majority have never taken there boat more than a mile off shore

I have plenty of experience on boats and have gotten myself out of a pickle once or twice

is there any reason why if I take all the safety precautions I can and pick a good looking weather window that I shouldn't attempt it.

the route im looking at is essentially 110 miles directly across the channel

thanks
Old 04 July 2023, 19:10   #2

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsw View Post
I have an Avon Adventure 4.5m paired with a 60 Mariner EFI 4 stroke
the boat is solid and the engine is very reliable I regularly travel reasonable distances in some decent chop around Cornwall.

I am planning to travel directly across the channel from cornwall (Gorran Haven) to some suitable location in France as direct as possible)

almost everyone I have discussed this with has suggested im crazy but the majority have never taken there boat more than a mile off shore

I have plenty of experience on boats and have gotten myself out of a pickle once or twice

is there any reason why if I take all the safety precautions I can and pick a good looking weather window that I shouldn't attempt it.

the route im looking at is essentially 110 miles directly across the channel

thanks
Weather window, weather window, weather window………you get the idea! I’ve crossed a few times and when the conditions were good we could have crossed in a bath tub! Also been in ‘interesting’ (oh sh*t!) seas coming back, plan, have back-up option/s and a buddy boat or two is never a bad idea ��
Old 04 July 2023, 21:04   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Snap - with the right weather the boat will be fine, as long as you can take enough fuel with you. Make sure you allow a decent fuel reserve, and check you can easily get petrol where you're going (assuming you don't plan to carry enough to get home again as well!).

My absolute favourite place on the NW French coast is Ile de Batz - have taken the sailing yacht there many times and is an amazing island to visit. To be honest I love all of the Brittany coast though!
Old 04 July 2023, 21:09   #4
tsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
Weather window, weather window, weather window………you get the idea! I’ve crossed a few times and when the conditions were good we could have crossed in a bath tub! Also been in ‘interesting’ (oh sh*t!) seas coming back, plan, have back-up option/s and a buddy boat or two is never a bad idea ��
Thanks for your reply I’m new to this forum, I will only leave if the conditions look calm and stable in every direction from my start point and destination

I plan to go to from Gorran haven to the eddystone light and back at WOT where possible this week which is 45ish mile round trip and includes a run a fair distance offshore (10 miles or so) there’s a bit of chop around at the moment so this should give me a relatively accurate idea of fuel consumption so I can get a guage of how much I’ll need to carry

The boat has proven she can take a beating and goes fine in choppy seas if you concentrate and read the waves it can be a hard ride but I can still cover ground quite quickly when it gets bumpy.

I will go over the boat and engine carefully before I leave and take all possible safety precautions

Unfortunately it is going to be a solo mission as none of the other boat owners I know are prepared to conquer this voyage

I have faith in myself and full confidence that the boat will make it in one piece 👍
Old 04 July 2023, 21:15   #5
tsw

Response to Paulbrown22

Thanks for your reply everyone I’ve spoken to apart from a boat builder I know and a few older sailors think I’m crazy I suspect to land potentially at roscoff as I could have a breather from navigating and follow a Plymouth ferry for a while on the way home ��
Old 04 July 2023, 22:36   #6

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsw View Post
Thanks for your reply everyone I’ve spoken to apart from a boat builder I know and a few older sailors think I’m crazy I suspect to land potentially at roscoff as I could have a breather from navigating and follow a Plymouth ferry for a while on the way home ��

Other things to think about; do you have a VHF and a license to use it? Do you have all the right paperwork for the boat to be in France? Do you have paper charts in case the electronics fail? A comprehensive tool kit? Finally is your experience, training and knowledge of seamanship, navigation, weather, tides and boat handling adequate for such a trip?
Old 05 July 2023, 12:03   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post
Other things to think about; do you have a VHF and a license to use it? Do you have all the right paperwork for the boat to be in France? Do you have paper charts in case the electronics fail? A comprehensive tool kit? Finally is your experience, training and knowledge of seamanship, navigation, weather, tides and boat handling adequate for such a trip?

Yup, and if you intend to land in France, you will need to fill in all the relevant immigration paperwork in France & on returning to the UK.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon