Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 July 2013, 23:19   #1

Boat name: WB465
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2013 ETEC 30
Advice: Small Open RIB for Tiller Handle

Pretty much every RIB I've ever seen has had a console and steering controls.

Say that I wanted a relatively small RIB <5 m and I just wanted it to be open and operated with an outboard with a tiller handle.

What specific make and model would you recommend?

Any pics would be appreciated.
Old 07 July 2013, 03:23   #2

Town: Texas
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 04 9.8 tohatsu
i have an older 2004 bombard ax500 (3 meter ish total 10'2" loa), it weighs under 100lbs, and i run a 9.8 4 stroke tohatsu. it would probably run a lot better with a 15hp 2 stroke but i bought it used as a package deal. but with weight distributed with just me on board ive gotten it to plane at 4 knots. they are a by product of zodiac and i dont see anywhere if they make anything that is 3 meter or better.

this is when i first got it. ive had all kinds of problems but they are previous owner related
Old 07 July 2013, 05:59   #3

Town: Alton
Boat name: Douggie
Engine: 40 mariner
I use a mariner 40hp 2 stroke on a Mercury Ocean Runner 430 with a tiller. Bough the boat new for a very reasonable price from Bridger marine who were very helpful.
The 40 is quite hard work when flat out with the tiller though.
Old 08 July 2013, 15:11   #4

Length: 5m +
just to test the engine i once dropped a 1980s Mariner 40 on a Zodiac Series 1, that was.... lively

Old 08 July 2013, 18:48   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Proyectile,

A <5 Mtr rib is not a small size to handle, for real boating fun will need at least 40 to 50 HP engine. I much preffer 420 to 470 open ribs too, the available deck space is awesome. Check Quicksilver, Mercury, 3D Tender, Highfield brands, just to mention some nice ones if available in Canada.

Some of them are quite wide (1) to tiller drive, unless you sit next to tiller next to port tube, but that's an issue for me being a left handed driver liking to sit and drive at stardbord side. How many mates are you planning to trasnsport ocassionally or all the time ? for a large rib will need a trailer and a SUV too.

There are also on the market the Quick Response type ribs (2) have shorter widths, less deep V keels, weights less, have shorter diam tubes and needs less HP engines than seen on more pro ribs. Those are just 4.00 to 4.20 Mt.

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRR-470-1.JPG
Views:	2000
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	82591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Rider 420-1.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	82592  
Old 08 July 2013, 21:48   #6

Those are nice, Loco!

I like this one, too, but I can't seem to find anything on it except for this video:

Old 08 July 2013, 21:54   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
iam very pleased with my rib eye 4.3 with tohatsu 50 on tiller , its the second boat i have had this size on tiller and its great so much more fun than a consul and lots of room . I think the current alloy hulled small ribs are the way to go the hulls all seem to bethe same the tubes vary in colour and design , look at xpro rib eye and highfield . Rib eye had some ex display boats at a good price .
mercury marine seem to be making a model a narrower lesser v fibreglass hull model also looks the same as the tohatsu rib. both quite cheap. Finding a 40/50 hp tiller steer engine is the hardest part

Loco whats that grey and blue rib in the picture , looks very similar to mine in some ways wondering if its another make using the same hull
Old 08 July 2013, 21:59   #8

The 40 is quite hard work when flat out with the tiller though.[/QUOTE]

you need a steering shock absorber , cheapest way is 8mm bungee rigged from the tiller to somewhere on the top of the tubes or transom . or make a pulley system using bungee , it works really well . my daughter can drive mine flat out quite easily .
Old 08 July 2013, 22:05   #9

Town: Alton
Boat name: Douggie
Engine: 40 mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
you need a steering shock absorber , cheapest way is 8mm bungee rigged from the tiller to somewhere on the top of the tubes or transom . or make a pulley system using bungee , it works really well . my daughter can drive mine flat out quite easily .
How tight do you have the steering tensioner? I don't think a single 8mm bungee would pull my outboard straight?
Do you have any pictures of what you have rigged up?
Old 08 July 2013, 22:33   #10

Town: halifax
Make: zodiac,bombard
Engine: 20hp,50hp Johnson
i have seen a zodiac pro 7 420 with a tiller steer 40hp yamaha. i am perty sure most boat companies will sell you an open rib. i have a zodiac 380 open rib with a 30hp tiller steer and a steering dampiner would be interesting. i hope to some pictures.
Old 08 July 2013, 22:55   #11

I made it up from 2 lengths of bungee , make a loop one end that fits snug around the tiller nearest the engine end . Get 2 of the plastic hooks that work likie a jamb cleat and allow you to adjust the length of the cord , clip them to a suitable point on top of the tubes is ideal and then adjust the tension on the elastic to give an even resistance so that the engine returned to central position . Just some simple experimenting with elastic and hooks /clips etc will have it sorted .
My current boat doesn't have anywhere on the tubes to attatch the elastic so i fitted 2 pulleys to the transom eyes and ran the elastic back to to a central point on the engine clamps to get enough length of elastic to work . It also takes the effort out of cruising when its et up right as the boat will stay strait with little effort on the tiller . Also set the tension on steerring damper screw on the motor to make it harder to turn .

I did intend fitting a zap cat type shock absorber but the elastic worked so well i never felt the need to do anything else .
I can send you some pics if you post me your email but getting pics on here is something i could never manage .
Old 08 July 2013, 23:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
Those are nice, Loco!

I like this one, too, but I can't seem to find anything on it except for this video
Proyectile,
That's the one I was previously reffering to, are rescue fast responder sib/ribs with low overboard as the red one in pic 2. With a 30 will fly to Mars. Check with Zodiac, but expect a pricy quote as everthing coming from them.

Ian,
Those are Asian made by a high skilled factory for different worldwide brands, the 470 blue/white was for a French Company, they're also made as Defender X Pro 3D, Highfield and others, surprised to read that X Pro Rib Eye sells them too.

Well made German PVC or French Orca Hypalon assembled to detail and customer taste whether plain open or with different console sets alternatives to please the most sporty boater. Would be interested to see your engine tiller mod too. Attaching pics is a piece of cake with wipped cream...

If you have swivel's bracket load nut adjusted so boat travels at a straight line when tiller is released, probably a steering shock aborver won't be needed. If nut is very loose giving a extremely light load on tiller, arm/shoulder will fatigue fast. Bolts needs to be checked and readjusted very often as it tends to rapidly go out of adjustment due to engine vibration.

Happy Boating
Old 08 July 2013, 23:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Proyectile,
That's the one I was previously reffering to, are rescue fast responder sib/ribs with low overboard as the red one in pic 2. With a 30 will fly to Mars. Check with Zodiac, but expect a pricy quote as everthing coming from them.

Ian,
Those are Asian made by a high skilled factory for different worldwide brands, the 470 blue/white was for a French Company, they're also made as Defender X Pro 3D, Highfield and others, surprised to read that X Pro Rib Eye sells them too.

Well made German PVC or French Orca Hypalon assembled to detail and customer taste whether plain open or with different console sets alternatives to please the most sporty boater. Would be interested to see your engine tiller mod too. Attaching pics is a piece of cake with wipped cream...

If you have swivel's bracket load nut adjusted so boat travels at a straight line when tiller is released, probably a steering shock aborver won't be needed. If nut is very loose giving a extremely light load on tiller, arm/shoulder will fatigue fast. Bolts needs to be checked and readjusted very often as it tends to rapidly go out of adjustment due to engine vibration.

Happy Boating
that confirms more what i had been thinking about the small alloy ribs currently available aisian made hull and the tubes getting specced by different manufacturers . They all seem to to be good quality boats as PVC go I think some are available in hypalon too , but not sure its worth the extra cost on a small rib like that .

The swivel bracket load nut won't make the motor stay in a strait line its just makes the steering a but harder to turn , doesn't do a lot on my tohatsu really and as you say some do seem to need constant adjustment.
Old 08 July 2013, 23:57   #14

Ian,

All sib/ribs coming from that manufacturer can be orderred in PVC, Akron or Hypalon fabrics, inclusing several fabric gauges ranging from 0.7 mm to 1.2 mm in Hypalon and 0.9 & 1.2 mm in PVC or Akron. Due to Globalization, cheaper hand labor that traslates into lower costs at affordable prices, boating has become more popular than ever before.

With respect to swivel bracket bolt load adjuster, works well with up to 30 HP, a 50 having more torque & final speed it's other story.

Happy Boating
Old 11 July 2013, 01:58   #15

I think you're right sail it. I can get a Zodiac Pro 7 man (420) or 9 man (470) and not add any interior options so that it's completely open and just use it with a tiller motor.They come in PVC or Hypalon/CSM as well. Probably pretty pricey, as Loco said.
Old 11 July 2013, 02:01   #16

This looks like a nice boat:

(PS. Can anybody tell me how to make the word "this" an active link to the URL of interest?)

Tags
rib