Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 April 2011, 18:42   #1

Length: 7m +
Advice about a stiff throttle

Noticed last week my throttle seemed stiff going into forward making things tricky at low speed, went out today and it's even worse, what's more when entering Poole harbour with uk customs cutter behind me the engine starting acting up like the throttle had suddenly been closed a bit.

If you also consider I can put throttle all the way up and still not getting max revs would you consider the following to be the cause.

A knackered throttle cable? Should I replace cable and control box as they are rather old.

I'm not going out again as I feel the cable may snap and I don't want to be in front of anything big when it does.

Advice would be welcomed.

Engine was serviced two weeks ago
Old 08 April 2011, 18:59   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
My first step would be to disconnect the throttle cable at the engine end and see if that makes the throttle move smoothly (when moving lever is just moving the cable), and likewise if manually moving the linkage at the engine is smooth. I doubt the box itself will need anything more than some grease, but the cables do get sticky (salt, corrosion, dried grease, sand etc inside).
Old 08 April 2011, 19:09   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Forgive me, but if engine only sericed two weeks ago, I would take it back to them.
I would have thought a service would include full & free movement of throttle and cables.
It should have not deteriorated to that state in such a short time.

Always welcome out with us
Old 08 April 2011, 19:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Forgive me, but if engine only sericed two weeks ago, I would take it back to them.
I would have thought a service would include full & free movement of throttle and cables.
It should have not deteriorated to that state in such a short time.

Always welcome out with us
It's more noticeable when being delicate as you would be when making way rather than it being tested on dry land so I would imagine they didn't notice.

I think I saw you guys today go past at cobs, your Parker looks the business
Old 14 April 2011, 15:54   #5

I discovered today the main cause, a butterfly valve wasn't opening correctly, very stiff due to crap sticking in, looks like water got sucked in somewhere and made a mess. Also my starter motor is knackered, again due to water and salt. I'm out of action until I can get new parts. Still not wasted time as I learnt a lot about my outboard while kieron from ribshop was diagnosing the fault.

Lesson to learn, while playing in waves is great fun, too much of the wet stuff hitting your outboard will lead to costly repairs. Baa humbug.
Old 14 April 2011, 19:01   #6

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Glad it's sorted, we were out last weekend, our first of the season. Picked up alot of private charters for later in the season, so happy.

The boat does look good and tends to sell herself, so like to get her out on the water even with minimal passengers early in the season.

Hope to see you out on the water again soon

Steve