Old 07 November 2009, 15:41   #1

Town: Stuart, FL
Make: Willard 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x 175 Suzuki's
7M Willard modifications.

Hello, I am looking into adding a diver door to a willard and am curious if any one knows what needs to be done? I am assuming that all the work to accomplish this would be done by the tube manufacturer. I would also like to know what i can do to get a 35-45 top end speed out of the boat running an inboard Diesel. The factory specs seam to push it in 28+- with a 180hp. Does the boat have enough room to put in a bigger engine, if so how big?

Thanks in advance..
Old 08 November 2009, 02:43   #2

Town: Oregon
Make: zodiac 550 SRMN
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F15
I believe that the 7m willards come with a 6bt cummins, go to some of the diesel forums to check out what you can do with those motors to pump up the power. You could change the pitch of the prop to match the new power output and get more speed.
Old 08 November 2009, 12:33   #3

Thanks.

I am looking at repowering the Willard with a new CAT C7. looking for between BHP 255-280. I would like to run B30 and Cat is the only manufacturer i can find that approves anything over B5.
Old 09 November 2009, 02:45   #4

Town: Houston
Repowering Willard

I have a '95 Willard with the Cummins diesel. I am in the process of pulling the diesel out with all the attached goodies like the FLOCS, etc. and repowering with Yamaha 150's. My only problem so far is hanging the Yamaha's on the transom which is a little high. Thinking about thru bolting several 6x6 inch oak beams across the transom to facilitate hanging the Yamaha's. I will sell the Cummins/trans/Konrad outdrive to help offset the cost of the yamaha's. I need the twin engines for safety redundancy.
Old 09 November 2009, 11:50   #5

Try this on for size.

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackets.htm

Their are several other company that make less expensive brackets. I would not recommend bolting on wood timbers if you are going after safety. You need to be using a composite unit and since it will be in contact with the water 100% of the time i would not recommend wood of any type unless you were to lay cloth over it. Look for a stern bracket they are the way to go!
Old 10 November 2009, 22:17   #6

My own answear

I spoke with Willard and Wing the manufacturers and they have told me the following.

Diver Door no modifications except new tubes. Wing does not want to do any tubes as they would not be cost efficient for a single application unless im made of money. FYI I'm not! So Thanks for the good advice and time Wing.

Engines Willard said they have put a 400hp Yanmar in the 7m before so size is not an issue. Thanks for your help guys.

See you on the water!