Old 07 February 2013, 12:48   #1

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
2005 accident lock lomond

The tragic accident technical details are worth a read to help prevent another child death.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-21367041
Old 07 February 2013, 13:19   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Those details in condensed form:

1. Inadequate maintenance of stering - caused accident
2. No Killcord - caused RIB to leave the scene
3. No lifejackets - MOBs had no chance in 5 degree water
4. No Comms - made situation even worse for on board survivor.

A terrible situation, one we should all do our best, every time we boat, to avoid.
Old 07 February 2013, 13:23   #3

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
This was a real tragedy that sadly will probably be repeated. I took my RIB to Loch Lomond last year on a lovely hot day for the first (and last) time. It is a beautiful place but I was appalled at the lack of safety on most of the speed boats and PWC, I saw boats smashing into each other at the jetty as people were more concerned with loading their beer than safety gear. My favourite was when I found a quiet beach only to be joined by a crowd in a speedboat no lifejackets with ghetto blasters and compressors blowing up all the toys. Chatting to the guy who had been coming for years he was amazed that I had made it this far up the loch without losing a prop. Really I said, yes he and his mates had lost loads over the years! He also wondered why I had bought a chart for the loch as you can't get lost. Yes I noticed you can't get lost I said before bidding farewell. Speaking to the wardens I got the impression that they are just as frustrated with certain elements. I will stick to the sea.
Old 07 February 2013, 13:55   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

A terrible situation, one we should all do our best, every time we boat, to avoid.
Indeed - but I wonder how many of us might be temped ...

Quote:
I'm sure some of us would think - a top up is good enough I'll fix it properly later...
Quote:
nobody will ever know why - but they are not 100% fool proof, and subject to human error by forgetting to connect / connecting badly. I can certainly imagine that there are circumstances where any of us might forget or might even intentionally remove it whilst sorting out something on a temperamental engine / bow lines etc...
Quote:
apparently he was normally quite strict about them but he forgot them - it would be quite easy to say, "och, it will be fine just this once"...
Quote:
and today the Loch is still poorly served for VHF which isn't going to encourage people to go equipped.
Old 07 February 2013, 13:56   #5

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Don't know yet...
Make: Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x 150 etecs
I was out on the loch testing a Rib the day that happened. We went and assisted with the search but to no avail. It was a lovely sunny day but pretty cold. It was just a combination of things that caused the accident.

Its amazing that the loch has given anything up after this length of time. It used to be said that she claimed 7 bodies a year. Because its fresh water you have very little buoyancy compared to the sea so people tend to sink very quickly. Most of the bodies have never been found.

The amount of total drunken idiots on the loch is amazing during the summer. It is surprising that there are not many more deaths in accidents on it.

I nearly got run down by an out of control boat a couple of years ago. The owner was a little tipsy as he launched his boat and promptly came zooming forward bouncing up the side of my boat and Land rover and then up onto the beach at full power! I ended up coming up on the other side of my boat having had to go right under the trailer!!
Old 07 February 2013, 14:33   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Scarily, this is EXACTLY the state my Ballistic was being used in before I bought it. Leaking steering, hardly any fluid and VHF didn't work. No killcord ever. He'd been crossing the channel in it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2013, 15:51   #7
RIBnet Supporter

FWIW - I have at some point or another, been guilty of all the issues I noted, I didn't mean to come over all holier than thou.

I've been on the water and discovered my steering was "off" - always carried a top up kit after that (never needed it 'cos I checked the levels regularly from then on).

I've forgotten to clip on my killcord (once used a RIB that didn't have one - just accepted the risk, only me on board, no other craft on the water)

I've left shore without a lifejacket on - didn't like it but there was folks needin' grabbed in a hurry...

I've had a duff VHF (broken cable) and still went to sea - but had a handheld and mobile and flares.

My point was - any of it can happen to anyone - just make sure none of it happens to you, the divers call it the Accident Pit and once you start sliding, it's hard to stop...