Old 18 August 2009, 10:26   #91

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Plenty of single engines helicopters as well - including the most common of all - the Jetranger and my favourite - the Hughes/MD Defender as from Magnum.

The smallest twin engined helicopter is the MBB105 which suffers a bit from the extra weight.
I think this deserves a link to pPRuNe

Old 18 August 2009, 16:57   #92

aux engine

My two penny-worth for a leisure rib (you're not likely to go too far offshore) is to have one main engine plus aux. (Better power-to-weight ratio, lower costs etc.) I've had two hard boats: Sea Ray 215 and Trophy 2052 and now intend to switch to ribbing (xs 750). In the Navy I thought they were just work boats but now realise they're great leisure boats too, if you only do day-running. Considering the reliability of modern engines the most likely problem is going to be either hitting an obstacle or fuel issues. This will probably affect both main engines. Therefore a totally separate auxilliary method of propulsion makes sense. A nine hp outboard (for up to 7 or 8m) with its own fuel supply would get you home, or if you have money to burn the electric wizard from Torqeedo looks good. I saw a demo at Seawork and was impressed. The battery alone was 3K so it must be good, I suppose, although it's a want-have rather than a must-have. Whatever you get stow it down aft and make sure you can fit it when you need to. Subscribe to Seastart, make sure your VHF is ok (plus hand-held) and happy days. If there's a flaw in my thinking please advise.

Old 18 August 2009, 17:40   #93

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
Hi Bob,

Sounds pretty good sense to me, although I am sure others will also chime in with your thoughts. I suppose the most obvious question is why 750 XS? I am looking for a cabin, so Redbay and such like are obvious choices for me, but I shuld be interested to hear your reasoning, especially as you are coming from two hard boats.

Thanks,
rupert
Old 18 August 2009, 17:56   #94
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcheer View Post
or if you have money to burn the electric wizard from Torqeedo looks good. I saw a demo at Seawork and was impressed. The battery alone was 3K so it must be good, I suppose, although it's a want-have rather than a must-have. Whatever you get stow it down aft and make sure you can fit it when you need to.
This is a new one for me, do you have any contact details for them or other info?
Old 18 August 2009, 18:00   #95

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You can also use a normal old lead acid. Some of the models are 24v.

Could possibly make sense on a RIB if you have twin batteries.

I reckon they are better suited to James Bond as they pack up into a rucksack!!!

http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/home.html
Old 18 August 2009, 18:09   #96

aux engine

Simple really, after looking at all the current ribs, just decided that XS ticks all the boxes for me; they're basically the same as the old Tornado, which is a proven hull. And they can fit a console with a Jabsco inside. This is important if you take children, women etc. out for the day.
Old 18 August 2009, 18:20   #97

aux engine

Don't know anything else about them. They're German and very expensive. The guy at Seawork said there are two types. The bigger ones with two batteries are not necessary for ribs. In fact their demo boat had batteries under the deck, in series or parallel, not sure. I think it was used on the Norfolk Broads for tourist trips. They're probably too expensive for most rib users but they look good. Even got some sort of GPS thingy that shows speed and endurance.
Old 18 August 2009, 18:33   #98

aux engine

Followed the 2 links in Codprawn's reply but the one I saw was orange and a bit bigger, although much smaller than a normal aux outboard. You could certainly handle it much easier; if the batteries were lashed down somewhere close to the transom.
Old 18 August 2009, 18:35   #99

aux engine

Finally, no idea why the battery is three grand. He didn't tell me the price at the time but emailed me later. I wonder why.....
Old 18 August 2009, 21:37   #100

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
It is a lithium ion battery - like in a laptop or leccy car - a bit more efficient than a lead acid for the same weight but that price.........

I would say these things are crap for their inteded market but they could be viable for people who already have some batteries on board.

Think I will stick with small petrol engine.