Old 19 December 2012, 16:05   #1

Town: Wirral
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
What to do next?

Hi everybody my name is Lewis and I'm based on the Wirral, Merseyside. I'm fairly new to everything RIB-related and I have a couple of questions if anyone has a minute to help me out (it would be greatly appreciated!). Last year I completed my RYA Level 2 Powerboating Certificate, had great fun doing so, and would love to get back on a RIB and carry on where I left off. Thing is, I'm a little unsure on how I can do this. Has it been too long for me to just head into the Intermediate course considering I haven't had any boating experience following the Level 2? Would I need to take Level 2 again? Or is there someway I can maybe hire a RIB and practice what I learned? I'm not 18 until July and don't know if this would have an effect on the possibility of hiring. Any information would be fantastic; thanks for your time, Lewis.
Old 19 December 2012, 16:46   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Lewis , Welcome.
My thoughts to help would be to go with some training on one to one with a local trainer. You have learnt the basics so need to refresh. Too early I would suggest for intermediate.
If you were local I would hire a boat with me on and take a few hours to practice so you need a local trainer / operator and pay for some time first and then see who on here will offer some time out with them on a day out and pay towards fuel on trips. Good way to make friends and learn some skills.
Other ways are voulnteering at local sailing clubs who have safety RIBs and crew and learn. Good Luck
Old 19 December 2012, 19:09   #3

Town: Wirral
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: no boat
Engine: N/A
Hi Ian, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your advice makes a lot of sense and I will certainly take it on board! Do you have any idea where I might be able to find a local trainer? Many thanks, Lewis.
Old 19 December 2012, 20:41   #4

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Why do you want rib driving experience for? Hoping to buy a rib?

Go buy the rib is my advice, all the experience you could want then. Remember, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger