Old 11 July 2015, 17:44   #1

Town: Chicago
Length: 4m +
Trying to bust into the RIB from Chicago, IL USA

I was thinking that I'd actually make my first post once I own a RIB. But I thought I could use some help on making my first purchase. After all, as I'm quickly learning, inflatables can be more expensive than regular boats.

What I'd like is an SR 5.4. My friend is selling me his, but it's been weathered and has patches. What would be the value of this boat at its condition. I thought I'd buy it and get it retube. Can someone please provide some insight on what I'd cost to refurbished this boat. Cost of tube and labor?

My next option would be to buy a Chinese made aluminum hull inflaitable. I already got a quote for 15.4 ft boat for $2,200 (pvc) or $4,200 (hypalon). I'm still awaiting on shipping cost.

Purchasing new is not an option because of the budget.

I currently own a 12ft Newport sib, but I want to upgrade and go more crazy. I'd appreciate any help.
Old 11 July 2015, 21:11   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Pictures would help in valuing your buddies Avon.
Old 11 July 2015, 23:03   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
15.5' Aluminum RIB for $4200??? Is that aluminum foil over chopsticks?

My 17.5' Aluminum RIB ran $46K 9 years ago (boat, controls and motor - no electronics.)

jky
Old 12 July 2015, 00:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
15.5' Aluminum RIB for $4200??? Is that aluminum foil over chopsticks?

My 17.5' Aluminum RIB ran $46K 9 years ago (boat, controls and motor - no electronics.)

jky
No controls, center console or motor. I'll try to post the quote and I'll pm you the site.

Old 12 July 2015, 07:29   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum antipackers12.

A Chinese made aluminium boat will be of unknown quality, and you haven't even put an engine on it yet, rigged it, sourced trailer, etc. My advice would be to avoid.

Back to the Searider. There are plenty members on here (UK based and State-side) with years of experience. Get pictures posted, and plenty of them.

A full retube isn't going to be cheap. More details here on the process involved: http://www.dinghydoc.net/ribrepair.pdf

The Searider that's for sale, what's the condition, does it have an engine, history, trailer, documentation? Is the hull sound or is it rotten to the core? Post up as much information as possible and other members can point you in the right direction and give you a ballpark figure regards value.

Regards other boats, then get onto Craig's List and start scouring ads. You'll probably have to travel, but for the right boat, it's worth it. Also consider alternatives.
Old 12 July 2015, 21:27   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Aluminum RIB: Find out what it's made of (material and thickness) and how it's made.

Anything less than about 3/16" will flex, which will rapidly weaken aluminum. That can be mitigated by lots of ribs and bulkheads, but that costs money (and adds to weight.) Riveted boats are pretty well known not to last too long, as the joins invite crevice corrosion, and the rivets tend to loosen over time. Welding aluminum is tougher than welding steel - takes a lot of power to get good penetration.

6061 is the "normal" corrosion resistant alloy; it's still not great around seawater. 5052 is much more saltwater corrosion resistant, but gets pricey.

I'd be very wary of a budget aluminum boat (and at that price, I can't see it being more than a toy.)

jky
Old 12 July 2015, 22:36   #7
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
New tubes are expensive. I'd guess $2500 or more for just the tubes shipped over from the UK. Then, you have to install them or have them installed. This guy in Santa Barbara, CA, did it himself:
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39807

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39807
Old 13 July 2015, 08:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
New tubes are expensive. I'd guess $2500 or more for just the tubes shipped over from the UK. Then, you have to install them or have them installed. This guy in Santa Barbara, CA, did it himself:
Retube Flange Joint - RIBnet Forums

Retube Flange Joint - RIBnet Forums

Thanks for posting great tips to my thread. It's something that I'd have to consider down the road.

What kind of trailer works best with this boat? Bunk or Rollers? Length? If lets say the both is 16 ft long, what the correct trailer length for it. How about width? What other things I should consider to make sure that the trailer is the right fit for the boat?

Tags
rib

« Hi From Poole | Top | Intro »