Old 11 July 2019, 09:50   #1

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: zodiac yachtline 420
Make: zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 4 st yamaha 40hp
old boy roy needs adventure!

hello and salutations to you and you......hope your all well inflated.....well firstly why i am here at all!......

Hi i am 57 yr old roy...single parent and carer for my two kids....scarletts 15 and has special needs (loves swimming! beaches ! sand! and a bit of speed / adrenaliney stuff) and a cracking big boy sam whos 10 .

Lifes been a little choppy.... but you cannot help the weather.....so I am 57 and hopefully still got some mojo left in me.....so Ive bought a 380 zodiac zoom with a 9.9 suzuki ob after some humming and harring......10 year old kit but in a1 condition (oh there is two! scratches on the engine!!)

My aim is to give the kids some exciting experiences afloat so i've plummed for a good engine....all serviced etc.....and now is the time for me to get insurance for the rig and GET ON THE WATER.

So people of the sibbing /ribbing world I need to start slow and build my / our experiences.

I lived on the wirral in my youth and sailed (lazer /wayfarer / windsurfer) so pretty ok with sea sense but i need to as i have mentioned start safely....

I have been thinking of Ullswater as a starter before any maritime antics.

also have read of slipways at cleethorpes but unsure on launching times in respect to high water etc....

I live in sheffield ! ....couple of hours from locations either side.

FINALLY....i do go on!.....if there are any kindly souls out there who could chip a bit of advice to a keen learner....on locations...progression etc i'dbe most grateful....cheers roy
Old 11 July 2019, 11:10   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Roy and welcome to the forum. You'll have some fun with that outfit, totally suited to an adult and two kids.

I don't know Cleethorpes but have had a quick look... do you mean the slip near the pier and/or the one a little further down from the pier they call the Brighton slipway?

Looked at the charts too and it seems at lowest tides it can dry out to a mile or more sand/mud so you need to get the tides right or it will be a long pull back on the transom wheels.

Personally for family leisure use I don't like launching direct into the sea as if the wind picks up and there are breakers when you return it can be very dangerous. Far prefer a slip into a more sheltered estuary or harbour.

But there may be Cleethorpes regulars on here who have better local advice.

BTW seem to be a lot of rules...

https://www.nelincs.gov.uk/wp-conten...ach-Safety.pdf

And this gives an idea of the sort of terrain you'll have to cross if you get the tides wrong!

David
Old 11 July 2019, 11:20   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi Roy welcome

whitby would be a good option 3 hrs either side of HW into the river off a good slipway plenty of shops around for food etc look for the wheedale hotel live cam which shows surf in the bay so you can pick the good days. if it does blow up you still have a mile of river with all the fishing boats in to look at. the lakes are a good start though
Old 11 July 2019, 11:38   #4

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Ullswater is very pleasant and there is a suitable gravel/stone beach next to the steamer pier in Glenridding which is free to use. Parking can be tight in high season though. Derwent or Windermere are also quite nice but closer to towns for lunch etc.

Phil
Old 11 July 2019, 11:58   #5

thanks bud for the first learning points....me thinks inland for starter course....awesome dronage of the sands (Phantom 4?)......been here windsurfing many moons ago...and yes your right if the windage goes wrong then swell can be big.....

your right in as much as for a newbie i need to minimise tits up probabilities!!!
Old 11 July 2019, 12:05   #6

thanks geoff for your heads up re whitby.....fish and chips for afters?

although being capable of idiotic decisions i feel that inland will be the best starting point for my learning

also funny story about whitby life boat.....many years ago fossiling with girlfriend got stranded in between whitby and saltwick nab.....was pretty happy being 23 with my girl on a deserted beach....i guess you know what i mean......only to be rudely interrupted by RNLI rib storming towards us....oooh how we laughed!!

so do not want another encounter with those fine people ..... yet!

great that we can check webcam and other stuff like windy

cheers again roy
Old 11 July 2019, 12:11   #7

thanks phil for your info

that sounds ace for a newbie......its one of my fave places glenridding.....proper good skiing if you have snow and legs of steel to walk to the tow.....but hey back to watery stuff.....

i know theres a 10 mph limit but are there other RULES.....ie do you need to show your insurance.....need to register and all that gubbins??

Id love to stay at the campsite with launch facilities...but 30 quid a night for the pitch...ooh

cheers roy
Old 11 July 2019, 13:59   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
+1 for Whitby, my launch of choice from home.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2019, 14:21   #9

RIBase
you can launch at belverdea bridlington tractor launch but it can have a surf there or scarbrough parkings a problem there though
Old 11 July 2019, 23:35   #10

Location for me Maiden voyage

Me thinks that I will plum for ullswater at Glenridding and have a wee pootle down... Across.... East... To the little bay past where the steamer goes to from glenridding

No tides... Or currents... Maybe hidden rocks but am going to choose to chill for our first oouting

As far as I can see on the ullswater Nat Park leaflet there is no need to register a powered craft.. Just stick to 10 mph limit

If anyone knows any flaws in my cunning plan please let me know before I make a dick of meself

Cheeers
Old 12 July 2019, 09:17   #11

RIBase
the water should be clear enough to see the bottom roy an important job for the crew to keep lookout,keep well out & when you do come close in put the engine on shallow drive or swap to paddles another important job for the crew. dont forget some pictures when you go and post
Old 12 July 2019, 13:27   #12

I don't think there are any other rules at Ullswater. No need to show insurance, no registering etc. The signs say 10 mph and 10 kts, so we went with 10kts but the steamers do at least 13. There is a patrol boat but they are usually friendly and won't get bothered unless you are really pushing the speed and even then, all they can do is have a word and ask you to slow down.

Phil
Old 12 July 2019, 13:49   #13

Maiden voyage tally ho!

Thanks phil for the heads up.....sundays the day....just hope the cp at glenridding int chokka.....my little / big girl has special needs so maybe therell be a space in disabled bay?

canny wait to get the wind in the hair....esp the kids who propper buzzed off ribrides weve done from beaumaris......albeit in a monster rib....sure theyll enjoy our little vessel

Im kinda made up cos the boat fits in a roof box i got for 80 off ebay....and me shinny motor kinda docks into the back of the vitara......no lifting just need to think a bit about dynamics pivots etc

so i can get all the kit in the back with a blanket over and still have four seats!!
will give capt log after weekend
Old 12 July 2019, 13:52   #14

cheers jeff....my son will be forced to read your advice !!! i let him give me instructions...he usually does!!

cheers again roy
Old 15 July 2019, 11:34   #15

Did you manage to get out Roy?
Old 15 July 2019, 11:37   #16

Mission one update

FANTASTIC DAY.....IN T LAKES

first time out in the our sib and everything went to plan....no catastrophies

launched at big campsite access beach by pooley br.

rocked up...gave the lovely ladies in reception a fiver for parking

drove to the easy beach....no worries getting set up....leave the car in cp 50 mt away from beach

tally ho....ullswater is massive and the character changes as you venture up? to glenridding

low hiils to moody peaks and DEFINITELY ONE OF THE MOST STUNNING PLACES to see from a new watery perspective

conditions were perfect....stopped by howtown for a picnic and swim....then to glenridding for ice cream...then back

i guess 20 km....more with my boy s antics doing s shapes and doughnuts

kids loved it...i loved it....fantastic day...canny wait for next venture

??? anglesey !!!!

but the joy of ullswater is NO REG / licence / hassle / tides / currents etc

pics to follow
Old 15 July 2019, 15:58   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavies View Post
FANTASTIC DAY.....IN T LAKES

first time out in the our sib and everything went to plan....no catastrophies

launched at big campsite access beach by pooley br.

rocked up...gave the lovely ladies in reception a fiver for parking

drove to the easy beach....no worries getting set up....leave the car in cp 50 mt away from beach

tally ho....ullswater is massive and the character changes as you venture up? to glenridding

low hiils to moody peaks and DEFINITELY ONE OF THE MOST STUNNING PLACES to see from a new watery perspective

conditions were perfect....stopped by howtown for a picnic and swim....then to glenridding for ice cream...then back

i guess 20 km....more with my boy s antics doing s shapes and doughnuts

kids loved it...i loved it....fantastic day...canny wait for next venture

??? anglesey !!!!

but the joy of ullswater is NO REG / licence / hassle / tides / currents etc

pics to follow

If you venture to the Menai (& why wouldn’t you [emoji106]) get a couple of hand lines & some feathers, get the kids into sea fishing, they’ll be hooked[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote