Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIBnet Community Forums > Say Hello | New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 15 May 2012, 19:21   #1

Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Newsflash: Recovering Motorcyclist Turns to Ribnet for Help

Hi all, I'm Steve and I'm a recovering motorcyclist with the need for speed so I turned to Ribnet for help!

But seriously, last year I bought a small family-friendly 5m Bombard with a 60hp Yam. Some said I was a fool but it was 1st April! I've been ghosting in the background of Ribnet for well over a year now and been criticised by Mrs Seadog for spending too much attention on these threads instead of her threads. Anyway, its been an invaluable source of information as well as entertainment, and besides it doesn't need dresses and make-up. Well done to those that run it and contribute.

Met Andre at the Powerboat and Rib Show on Saturday and he turned me to the light so I eventually registered and then it took me most of last evening to find my way around the site (it's so much simpler being an unregistered guest on an ithingy). I have some photo's from Adam's Solent Rib Safari which we were invited to go on by him so, when I've worked out how to, I will hopefully share these with you on another thread.

Highlights since owning a rib:
First time use, managing to drop the rib into the water and recovering on the slipway;
First crossing to IOW - after several attempts when the weather conditions were not ideal we finally managed it (on a mill pond) and rewarded ourselves with dinner at The Folly ;
Seeing the Needles close up and fish and chips at Yarmouth;
The rough and tumble behind HMS Illustrious and the Clippers;
Cowes fireworks; and
Swimming off Sandbanks in October.

Embarrassing moments:
Needing help on the slipway to offload our rib before realising there's a rope still tied to the trailer!
Ribbin' up the Thames! Those rowers weren't happy!!!

Missed Opportunities:
That sunny weekend in March 2012 for the Round IOW, gutted.

Looking forward to:
Begin using the rib this year!!! File note, we'll probably be classed in the department of "fair weather" ribbers;
PB2 course TBA;
Towing to the south of France this summer; and
The Three Queens (and I'm not talking about the royal funeral in 1952!); the Clipper yachts returning; and the Jubilee on the water.

I'm also looking forward to hearing of plenty more hints and tips in the future and perhaps in time I'll be able help the newbies out there.

Happy ribbin', Steve (the Solent Seadog in training), Mrs S & the little seadogs.
Old 29 July 2012, 20:59   #2

Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Seadog
Hi all, I'm Steve and I'm a recovering motorcyclist with the need for speed so I turned to Ribnet for help!

But seriously, last year I bought a small family-friendly 5m Bombard with a 60hp Yam. Some said I was a fool but it was 1st April! I've been ghosting in the background of Ribnet for well over a year now and been criticised by Mrs Seadog for spending too much attention on these threads instead of her threads. Anyway, its been an invaluable source of information as well as entertainment, and besides it doesn't need dresses and make-up. Well done to those that run it and contribute.

Met Andre at the Powerboat and Rib Show on Saturday and he turned me to the light so I eventually registered and then it took me most of last evening to find my way around the site (it's so much simpler being an unregistered guest on an ithingy). I have some photo's from Adam's Solent Rib Safari which we were invited to go on by him so, when I've worked out how to, I will hopefully share these with you on another thread.

Highlights since owning a rib:
First time use, managing to drop the rib into the water and recovering on the slipway;
First crossing to IOW - after several attempts when the weather conditions were not ideal we finally managed it (on a mill pond) and rewarded ourselves with dinner at The Folly ;
Seeing the Needles close up and fish and chips at Yarmouth;
The rough and tumble behind HMS Illustrious and the Clippers;
Cowes fireworks; and
Swimming off Sandbanks in October.

Embarrassing moments:
Needing help on the slipway to offload our rib before realising there's a rope still tied to the trailer!
Ribbin' up the Thames! Those rowers weren't happy!!!

Missed Opportunities:
That sunny weekend in March 2012 for the Round IOW, gutted.

Looking forward to:
Begin using the rib this year!!! File note, we'll probably be classed in the department of "fair weather" ribbers;
PB2 course TBA;
Towing to the south of France this summer; and
The Three Queens (and I'm not talking about the royal funeral in 1952!); the Clipper yachts returning; and the Jubilee on the water.

I'm also looking forward to hearing of plenty more hints and tips in the future and perhaps in time I'll be able help the newbies out there.

Happy ribbin', Steve (the Solent Seadog in training), Mrs S & the little seadogs.

UPDATE (JULY 2012):
Began using our rib again for the first time this year and went out one rare evening back in May to the Jolly Sailor when it was fine weather. On our return journey in the dark with a rising tide we decided to take a shortcut out of Hamble River across the spit. Not again! A dramatic stop and a replacement propellor later we've learnt to give it a wider berth next time!

We also experienced by land a very wet Thames visit for the Pageant followed by an even wetter Three Queens evening back in Southampton during the Jubilee weekend in June. Last Saturday we missed the J class yachts when we got to Cowes too late for the race start and decided to avoid the chaos of the Clippers the next day returning home, instead choosing Mudeford Fun Day which was equally as busy but fun.

Good news. Mrs Solent Seadog and I passed our PB2 this weekend as well as the CEVNI test in readiness for our French trip. Thanks to Steve @ Tec Rec Coaching, operating out of Southampton Dy Stack, who provided very clear, informative tuition. Definitely a worthwhile course having experienced mixed conditions during the two days.

Looking forward now to some sunshine!

Steve
Old 29 July 2012, 21:15   #3
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Seadog View Post
and besides it doesn't need dresses and make-up.
yool fynd dat sum membirs doo.

dat rokknrolla nevver gows owt wivowt iz lippstikk onn an kirny az bin nowen too ware a brar.

de jokkstrapp membirs orl ware dressis sumtymes.

3 pirsent ov membirs av reseeved polis corshuns for nikkin laydees unnderware ofn woshin lynes

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 21:25   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
3 pirsent ov membirs av reseeved polis corshuns for nikkin laydees unnderware ofn woshin lynes
...don't forget the 0.1% who didn't wait until they were washed, eh wiLlfie?
Old 29 July 2012, 21:28   #5

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
...don't forget the 0.1% who didn't wait until they were washed, eh wiLlfie?
You mean to say that stocking he used to wear on his head was unwashed
Old 29 July 2012, 21:59   #6
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You mean to say that stocking he used to wear on his head was unwashed

Corse itt woz unwoshid

nuffink lyke a wiff ov quimquash too get de adrenalin flowin wen yor onn a blagg

I nikt dem stockins ofn a woshin lyne inn manchestir fromm a howse dat ad a bote in de dryve

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 22:03   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Corse itt woz unwoshid

I nikt dem stockins ofn a woshin lyne inn manchestir fromm a howse dat ad a bote in de dryve
Ye it was this lady, she is a neighbour of mine. Google Image Result for http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/963.$plit/C_71_article_1085305_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg?14%2F12%2F2008%2015%3A39%3A57%3A066
Old 29 July 2012, 23:06   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
de jokkstrapp membirs orl ware dressis sumtymes.
I ware mine regularly .. but I sometimes have to take my 'tayle gunnor' for protekshun from the Englysh Nobburs