Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 15 May 2012, 15:21   #1
Member
 
Solent Seadog's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 31
Newsflash: Recovering Motorcyclist Turns to Ribnet for Help

Hi all, I'm Steve and I'm a recovering motorcyclist with the need for speed so I turned to Ribnet for help!

But seriously, last year I bought a small family-friendly 5m Bombard with a 60hp Yam. Some said I was a fool but it was 1st April! I've been ghosting in the background of Ribnet for well over a year now and been criticised by Mrs Seadog for spending too much attention on these threads instead of her threads. Anyway, its been an invaluable source of information as well as entertainment, and besides it doesn't need dresses and make-up. Well done to those that run it and contribute.

Met Andre at the Powerboat and Rib Show on Saturday and he turned me to the light so I eventually registered and then it took me most of last evening to find my way around the site (it's so much simpler being an unregistered guest on an ithingy). I have some photo's from Adam's Solent Rib Safari which we were invited to go on by him so, when I've worked out how to, I will hopefully share these with you on another thread.

Highlights since owning a rib:
First time use, managing to drop the rib into the water and recovering on the slipway;
First crossing to IOW - after several attempts when the weather conditions were not ideal we finally managed it (on a mill pond) and rewarded ourselves with dinner at The Folly ;
Seeing the Needles close up and fish and chips at Yarmouth;
The rough and tumble behind HMS Illustrious and the Clippers;
Cowes fireworks; and
Swimming off Sandbanks in October.

Embarrassing moments:
Needing help on the slipway to offload our rib before realising there's a rope still tied to the trailer!
Ribbin' up the Thames! Those rowers weren't happy!!!

Missed Opportunities:
That sunny weekend in March 2012 for the Round IOW, gutted.

Looking forward to:
Begin using the rib this year!!! File note, we'll probably be classed in the department of "fair weather" ribbers;
PB2 course TBA;
Towing to the south of France this summer; and
The Three Queens (and I'm not talking about the royal funeral in 1952!); the Clipper yachts returning; and the Jubilee on the water.


I'm also looking forward to hearing of plenty more hints and tips in the future and perhaps in time I'll be able help the newbies out there.

Happy ribbin', Steve (the Solent Seadog in training), Mrs S & the little seadogs.
__________________

__________________
Solent Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 16:59   #2
Member
 
Solent Seadog's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Bombard SB Explorer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Seadog
Hi all, I'm Steve and I'm a recovering motorcyclist with the need for speed so I turned to Ribnet for help!

But seriously, last year I bought a small family-friendly 5m Bombard with a 60hp Yam. Some said I was a fool but it was 1st April! I've been ghosting in the background of Ribnet for well over a year now and been criticised by Mrs Seadog for spending too much attention on these threads instead of her threads. Anyway, its been an invaluable source of information as well as entertainment, and besides it doesn't need dresses and make-up. Well done to those that run it and contribute.

Met Andre at the Powerboat and Rib Show on Saturday and he turned me to the light so I eventually registered and then it took me most of last evening to find my way around the site (it's so much simpler being an unregistered guest on an ithingy). I have some photo's from Adam's Solent Rib Safari which we were invited to go on by him so, when I've worked out how to, I will hopefully share these with you on another thread.

Highlights since owning a rib:
First time use, managing to drop the rib into the water and recovering on the slipway;
First crossing to IOW - after several attempts when the weather conditions were not ideal we finally managed it (on a mill pond) and rewarded ourselves with dinner at The Folly ;
Seeing the Needles close up and fish and chips at Yarmouth;
The rough and tumble behind HMS Illustrious and the Clippers;
Cowes fireworks; and
Swimming off Sandbanks in October.

Embarrassing moments:
Needing help on the slipway to offload our rib before realising there's a rope still tied to the trailer!
Ribbin' up the Thames! Those rowers weren't happy!!!

Missed Opportunities:
That sunny weekend in March 2012 for the Round IOW, gutted.

Looking forward to:
Begin using the rib this year!!! File note, we'll probably be classed in the department of "fair weather" ribbers;
PB2 course TBA;
Towing to the south of France this summer; and
The Three Queens (and I'm not talking about the royal funeral in 1952!); the Clipper yachts returning; and the Jubilee on the water.

I'm also looking forward to hearing of plenty more hints and tips in the future and perhaps in time I'll be able help the newbies out there.

Happy ribbin', Steve (the Solent Seadog in training), Mrs S & the little seadogs.

UPDATE (JULY 2012):
Began using our rib again for the first time this year and went out one rare evening back in May to the Jolly Sailor when it was fine weather. On our return journey in the dark with a rising tide we decided to take a shortcut out of Hamble River across the spit. Not again! A dramatic stop and a replacement propellor later we've learnt to give it a wider berth next time!

We also experienced by land a very wet Thames visit for the Pageant followed by an even wetter Three Queens evening back in Southampton during the Jubilee weekend in June. Last Saturday we missed the J class yachts when we got to Cowes too late for the race start and decided to avoid the chaos of the Clippers the next day returning home, instead choosing Mudeford Fun Day which was equally as busy but fun.

Good news. Mrs Solent Seadog and I passed our PB2 this weekend as well as the CEVNI test in readiness for our French trip. Thanks to Steve @ Tec Rec Coaching, operating out of Southampton Dy Stack, who provided very clear, informative tuition. Definitely a worthwhile course having experienced mixed conditions during the two days.

Looking forward now to some sunshine!

Steve
__________________

__________________
Solent Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 17:15   #3
Redbay supporter
 
wiLlfish's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Seadog View Post
and besides it doesn't need dresses and make-up.
yool fynd dat sum membirs doo.

dat rokknrolla nevver gows owt wivowt iz lippstikk onn an kirny az bin nowen too ware a brar.

de jokkstrapp membirs orl ware dressis sumtymes.

3 pirsent ov membirs av reseeved polis corshuns for nikkin laydees unnderware ofn woshin lynes
__________________
vowte willfIsh forr cheef ekserkewshener
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 17:25   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
3 pirsent ov membirs av reseeved polis corshuns for nikkin laydees unnderware ofn woshin lynes
...don't forget the 0.1% who didn't wait until they were washed, eh wiLlfie?
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 17:28   #5
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
...don't forget the 0.1% who didn't wait until they were washed, eh wiLlfie?
You mean to say that stocking he used to wear on his head was unwashed
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 17:59   #6
Redbay supporter
 
wiLlfish's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You mean to say that stocking he used to wear on his head was unwashed

Corse itt woz unwoshid

nuffink lyke a wiff ov quimquash too get de adrenalin flowin wen yor onn a blagg

I nikt dem stockins ofn a woshin lyne inn manchestir fromm a howse dat ad a bote in de dryve
__________________
vowte willfIsh forr cheef ekserkewshener
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 18:03   #7
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
Corse itt woz unwoshid

I nikt dem stockins ofn a woshin lyne inn manchestir fromm a howse dat ad a bote in de dryve
Ye it was this lady, she is a neighbour of mine. Google Image Result for http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/963.$plit/C_71_article_1085305_image_list_image_list_item_0_ image.jpg?14%2F12%2F2008%2015%3A39%3A57%3A066
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 19:06   #8
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
de jokkstrapp membirs orl ware dressis sumtymes.
I ware mine regularly .. but I sometimes have to take my 'tayle gunnor' for protekshun from the Englysh Nobburs
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.