Old 08 May 2010, 15:52   #1

Town: leicester
Length: no boat
Newbie Looking to buy first Rib

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking to buy my first rib over the next couple of months and i've got a few questions for you good people.

After looking through the other threads I like the look of seariders and humbers but what would my current car (vectra 2.2petrol) manage size wise? I live in land locked
leicestershire and not really had any experience trailing a boat.

My budget will be around the bargain basement £5000 mark, I want it for cruising with good sea keeping abilities and carry up to 3 of my mid life crisis mates.

Thanks
Old 08 May 2010, 16:27   #2

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Sparrowhawk
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90hp 2T
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrack View Post
Hi Everybody,

I'm looking to buy my first rib over the next couple of months and i've got a few questions for you good people.

After looking through the other threads I like the look of seariders and humbers but what would my current car (vectra 2.2petrol) manage size wise? I live in land locked
leicestershire and not really had any experience trailing a boat.

My budget will be around the bargain basement £5000 mark, I want it for cruising with good sea keeping abilities and carry up to 3 of my mid life crisis mates.

Thanks
iv got a 4m searider with a 40hp mariner and use a 2ltr focus to tow and used to use a 1.6 zetec s fiesta for towing aswell so the vectra shouldnt have any issues and back in the day my dad used an xr3i for towing his 5.25m osprey sparrowhawk with a 90hp engine and was fine just needed someone to sit on the bonnet when pulling it out of the water
Old 08 May 2010, 17:19   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I suspect with 4 middle aged men on board a 4m Searider would get a bit crampt. So I'd be looking bigger. Generally bigger also = better sea handling.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me we own a 1.8L petrol vecta which manages a 4m boat no problems. I'm sure it has the grunt to pull a 5.5m boat. Slipways might be a bit harder - but you'll soon learn how to use a rope on anything too steep/slippy. One point might be that if a 5.5m boat drags you into braked trailer territory, if you (or anyone else who may have to tow it) passed their test after 1997 they need to sit a new trailer test.