Old 05 October 2019, 11:44   #1

Town: Belgrade/Serbia
Make: Mochi Craft 35
Length: 5m +

Hello Rib.net members,

I have joined this forum recently because I am planning to purchase a RIB soon.

Due to the fact that I live in Serbia and that second hand market is not offering much, I have dedcided to purchase new. My major concern is longevity of PVC tube material. Can anyone advise, thanks
Old 06 October 2019, 06:58   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Welcome to the forum the pvc/ polyurethane/ hypalon debate comes up fairly regularly. Can I ask what size of boat you are considering and type of use etc , it may help with being a little more specific about material choice
Old 06 October 2019, 07:38   #3

I am looking at these 2 Highfield models

1. Oceanmaster 540 with PVC tubes
2. Deluxe 640 with Hypalon tubes

Needless to say there is a significant price difference, about 35-40%, due to size and tube material difference. While I wouldnt like to spend too much money, I am concerned about choosing the cheaper option only to pay more later.

Difference in size matters, but its the tube durability that currently seems more important.
Old 06 October 2019, 09:36   #4

It would be interesting to compare like for like, pvc v hypalon. I suspect a large proportion of the extra cost is taken up by the extra mtr in length. My thoughts are that a boat of that size should be hypalon or polyurethane. Pvc in my opinion should be reserved for the smaller budget end of the market
Old 06 October 2019, 09:52   #5

I agree that it's very difficult to compare, which is why I have such difficult time making a choice.

3 major characteristics - boat length, equipment and tube material are different making me feel like the smaller boat while capable, would barely doi the job.

My idea is to use the boat primarily during our holidays in Greece, while it would see occasiuonal use on rivers (only when waterways are clear of debris that high water levels tend to pull from coastline).

To sum it up, as both RIBs would be sufficient for our use, I am wodering about lifetime of PVC tubes if stored/cared for properly.
Old 06 October 2019, 10:53   #6

It sounds like your answer is in your 2nd paragraph when you say the smaller boat would barely do the job. That says you need to go for the larger boat.
With regards to material I'd go for hypalon over pvc as I believe the hypalon will outlast the pvc & is far easier to repair if it gets damaged or starts to wear.
Also consider resale when you want to move it on, most buyers will expect hypalon and would likely pay more for the hypalon boat
Old 06 October 2019, 11:03   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Hi Kostice and wellcome to the forum , i do not intend to enter the Hypalon /pvc debate /however having been a satisfied Highfield customer for four years (5m pvc ) i would suggest that alot of the price difference between hypalon and pvc, may be availiability and not nescesarily superiority . highfield seem to operate by stacking standard stock boats (rarely hypalon ) in their dealers in the various countrys when manufacturing (aluminium) prices are lowest and currency rates are good ,this helps them to be very competitive and also their dealers are happy because they can get great margins .When you come along and want a non stock boat then it has to be priced accordingly (even if he has it in stock it will be a while before he can get another one ) , this has become apparent this year in the uk as highfield boats are no cheaper than the hand built British ,because the business model has fallen over i think , just my opinion ! ,enjoy whatever you buy !
Old 06 October 2019, 11:07   #8

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostice View Post
I am looking at these 2 Highfield models

1. Oceanmaster 540 with PVC tubes
2. Deluxe 640 with Hypalon tubes

Needless to say there is a significant price difference, about 35-40%, due to size and tube material difference. While I wouldnt like to spend too much money, I am concerned about choosing the cheaper option only to pay more later.

Difference in size matters, but its the tube durability that currently seems more important.
How much is the 640 with Pvc tubes ,probhably cheaper to buy and retube when you need !!
Old 06 October 2019, 21:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
How much is the 640 with Pvc tubes ,probhably cheaper to buy and retube when you need !!
I think you just confirmed the hypalon boat is the one to go for if your already budgeting for a new set of tubes in a few years. I'd imagine most people would expect their new hypalon tubes to last 20 years or more which is a long time to own the same boat. Come retube time most people would opt for hypalon or polyurethane tubes as thats what the retube folk supply.I may be wrong but I've never heard of anyone offering a retube service in pvc. So using your ownership model you'd buy the boat with budget tubes then retube with expensive tubes, doesn't make sense!
Old 06 October 2019, 21:48   #10

Thanks for weighting in on brand, as this is the first year Highfield has become available on local market. One of the reasons I am strongly considering making a purchase at this time of the year is that the dealer is giving good discount.

Unfortunately local market is 4-5 years behind "economically healthy" part of Europe , so stock boats are very limited. A DL 540 or 590 with Hypalon tubes would be a perfect choice.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers!
Old 07 October 2019, 12:38   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
gurnard on here has a 14 year old quicksilver in PVC still looks like new
Old 07 October 2019, 15:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
gurnard on here has a 14 year old quicksilver in PVC still looks like new
But more than likely its covered or inside when not in use which is fine for a small boat but as boats get bigger & more expensive then hypalon tends to take over as the tube cost becomes a smaller percentage of the overall cost.
Only my opinion but once your over 4mtr is then hypalon or polyurethane takes over from pvc
Old 07 October 2019, 16:00   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
op asked for longevity of PVC 14 years 7 of which he has owned it, any rib/ sib should be covered as is gurnards & outside.as always if you look after stuff it lasts longer
Old 07 October 2019, 16:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
op asked for longevity of PVC 14 years 7 of which he has owned it, any rib/ sib should be covered as is gurnards & outside.as always if you look after stuff it lasts longer
We all know being covered, preferably inside is best however its easier to cover/ store inside a small boat. Very few pvc boats over 4m in pvc my pvc ribeye that sits on my hard boat during the season is showing signs of uv degradation within less than 10 years
The almost total domination of the 4m+ market by hypalon/ polyurethane suggests I'm not the only one who thinks the same