Old 23 April 2014, 11:06   #1

Length: 4m +
Hi from Denmark

Hi - New to the forum and already with a problem I have a Zodiac Ribster 400 from the year 2000. I can see theres a lot of posts relating to more or less similar problem but just wanted to get your opinion as this boat perhaps is a bit different than your normal rib.

It seems that when i put the boat in the water it takes in a fair amount of water. Iīm thinking it might come from the drain in the rear. Under the boat theres a pewny looking rubber flap that i suppose is meant to close when the hull fills with water - and when the boat is moving you can remove a - what do you call it - a .. is it called a plug?? in the "floor" of the boat and thereby drain the water out of the boat. Still its pretty annoying that the boat is taking in water as soon as it is not moving. Was wondering if any of you have any experience with this ribster type?
I will try to check the drain it self and change the seal. If that doesn't work what is next?
Thanks!
mille120302
Old 23 April 2014, 15:02   #2

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Hi Millie, welcome to the forums!

I'm not familiar with your boat or it's set-up but I'm sure someone who is will be along soon!
Old 23 April 2014, 15:18   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
It's a one-way valve. Or it's supposed to be. They're generally pretty leaky, and as far as I know everyone so equipped has the same problem.

Usually, there's a plug that goes in (the ones I've seen are friction fit rubber plugs, going in from the outside) that will slow the water ingress. Pull it out and get underway and the water should drain (at least to a degree.) Replace the plug when slowing or stopping.

Looking back at your original message, sounds like you already know this. In that case, clean the mating surface of the rubber flap, and perhaps replace the plug itself. If that fails, put the boat on the trailer with the bow raised and fill the hull with a bit of water and you should be able to see where it's leaking from (which should be where it's coming in.)

Luck;

jky
Old 23 April 2014, 15:47   #4

I think you're right.. it should be a one way valve/drain but isnīt. The outside "plug" here is a flat rubber seal/membrane that i think is supposed to seal due to water pressing up - i don't see how this should work.. The plug from inside the boat doesnīt seem to be able to stop the water from leaking in to the boat - either this or perhaps it from somewhere else. - i considered putting a "real" plug ind from the outside but then i wouldīt be able to drain the boat. Its time to pour some water in the boat and hope for the best..
Old 28 April 2014, 17:34   #5

So.. i decided to go for a new boat. There was a tear in the pvc at the bottom of the old boat.. and so i decided that It will be either the zodiac cadet 340 hypalon or the bombard starter 420 - size aside.. which one would you opt for? Its for family fun, friends, tube towing, UW hunting etc.

regards