Old 15 March 2014, 17:05   #1

Town: Madison, MS
Boat name: wife's bane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Hello from Mississippi

Hi all,

Finally registered for the forum and am using the new app. I've used the forum quite a few times in the past and decided to join because I am finally embarking on my sib restoration/repair and will probably need to ask questions along the way. I have used a similar forum to help me restore my old Landcruiser ('78 fj40 daily driver) and that forum was and I continues to be an invaluable asset to ownership. I look forward to the same with rib net and my zodiac.

I own what I euphemistically like to refer to as a 'classic'. It is an older hypalon zodiac f470. I've had it for two years and it has taken me some time to gather the necessary replacement handles and other assorted items. I've gone for broke and am replacing the transom. I'm going to have one made from coosa so I'll be sure to post dome photos of that when it arrives. I still need to gather a few bits for the project. I spoke with a guy named Alan at Chas Marine last summer when I was then planning to finish but my land cruiser broke down and I had to put it off. I plan to contact them again soon.

My biggest problem is the temp/humidity ratio here. When the weather is warm enough, the humidity is too high. I lost one batch of glue on the shelf waiting for the perfect day. I decided to create my own humidity this year and have created a tent in my garage made of PVC and plastic covering the floor, sides, and roof. Inside the tent I put two dropcloths with a paper top and plastic bottom for extra moisture protection. I used two four pound buckets of a product called dry-rid and an additional smaller container of the same that also contains activated charcoal. Currently the outside humidity is 72% but inside the tent it is about 58%, so I think it will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2103330427.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	92171

Name:	image-375113885.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	92173

Name:	image-2277996974.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	92174

Name:	image-1536085733.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	92175

A few questions:
I have some Clifton glue that is fresh and some sta-bond glue that indicates it expired last month. Both cans have been stored in the house. Part of the project is to put new PVC handles on the hypalon boat. Do you think the sta-bond will be fine? Would the Clifton do the job just as well?

Thanks in advance.
Matt
Old 15 March 2014, 19:40   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I find the Clifton glue is OK. I've never used Sta-Bond.

I now use the Weaver 2-part hypalon glue, as that's what the inflatable shop near me stocks (though the last batch I bought online.)

As far as the expired stuff, think about how much effort you're putting into this and whether it's worth saving the $40 or whatever for fresh glue.

Good luck with the boat;

jky
Old 16 March 2014, 05:44   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to rib.net

I wouldn't hesitate to use the glue if it is only a couple of months expired. There is some fudge factor built into that date written.

For the FJ check out ih8temud.com. At least I think that is it. Pirate4x4.com is the goto for extreme modifications. Better have pockets full of cash if you want to keep up with the rigs on there.
Old 16 March 2014, 08:02   #4

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Welcome to the forum and I like your boat's name! I was wondering if you knew if jet ski or jet boat holidays/tours are still being run on the Mississippi. This company appears to still be in business; I was curious to know if there were any others: Discovery River ToursÂ*Â* Personal Watercraft PWC Jetski Tours
Old 16 March 2014, 18:43   #5

Thanks all. The ih8mud forum was the one I was referring to. As for those river tours I'm not familiar with any on the Mississippi River, I know services are few and quite far between and barge traffic heavy from at least Memphis down, I'd contact the corps because they would know for sure. I think the Tenn/Tom trip on that site would be great as it's part of the great loop and it goes down through to Mobile and you'll go through a few locks (barges on Tenn/Tom too though). My only reference to that is my personal favorite boating book: Honey, let's buy a boat.

Highly enjoyable and informative reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Cruising.../dp/0966914031

Wonder if anyone might answer one more basic question, I know the answer is out there because I've read it before but can't seem to find it. Can I glue my handles and d-rings on while the boat is deflated? I ask because that glue I mentioned is for those parts and I'd like to use it ASAP. I have some time with the other glue for my leaks etc.

All input appreciated.

M
Old 16 March 2014, 22:51   #6

Town: Mobile
Make: Zodiac H733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 200hp OB
Welcome to the forum. I am in Mobile and have an FC470 graveyard... I've got about 6 of them in all states of repair if you are still in need of parts. I used to do a great deal with them and these are just what I have accumulated over the years...A couple of them may actually be in better shape than what you are starting with. Not sure how much you've already invested into getting that one up and running.. I know how much the replacement parts cost and how hard it is to get your hands on good used ones...

If I can help in anyway let me know...
Old 16 March 2014, 22:54   #7

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Love the pictures, they remind me of a scene in the movie called Snatch
Old 16 March 2014, 23:04   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Love the pictures, they remind me of a scene in the movie called Snatch
Top film that Looey
Old 17 March 2014, 00:53   #9

Thanks again. I may need a few pieces and will let you know, appreciate the kind offer. Eventually I need a few missing alum deck panels but first I have to get her ship shape again. I feel pretty good about it, the transom is going to be a chore I probably should have left alone but I think I can do it. It's sort of become one of 'those' projects for me I'm afraid. Fools errand/pride, just a few more years and the band's gonna work out, you'll see...

Anyway, I've seen snatch but It's been many years so I'll have to see it again to refresh my memory. Tomorrow I'm going to get two more buckets of desiccant, we've had some serious rain/humidity and I want to be sure it doesn't affect the gluing.

Let me know if you think it'd be alright to glue the handles and d-rings with the boat deflated.
Old 17 March 2014, 01:08   #10

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but your photos just really reminded me of snatch, I'll PM you the photo, not sure it's the best photo for a forum...

Good luck with your build, I had an FC470 and loved it, It has to be the best SIB out there and worth every effort to get it perfect
Old 17 March 2014, 02:37   #11

Town: Mobile
Make: Zodiac H733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 200hp OB
I have several floors for it... And most anything else. Do you have the keel tube for it?

Gluing is recommended while the tubes are at pressure. Are the baffles intact? If so you could do the work on the front 3 chambers and then finish up the back two once the transom was in.

And as others said... They are amazing boats.. My oldest are 1990, a few late 90s and the one I have and use is a 2004... Will do most anything you ask of them if you keep them up.
Old 17 March 2014, 06:19   #12

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacman View Post
Gluing is recommended while the tubes are at pressure. Are the baffles intact? If so you could do the work on the front 3 chambers and then finish up the back two once the transom was in.
Agreed!
Old 17 March 2014, 15:07   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I don't know about PVC, but hypalon has a bit of stretch between empty and inflated. I generally try to glue while at pressure.

The stretch became noticeable to me when trying to put vinyl stickers on; they'd split if applied while deflated, and wrinkleand peel if put on while inflated, then had the tube pressure relieved. Glued attachments would have less noticeable indications, but the effect would still be there.

jky