Old 28 October 2015, 09:53   #41

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Thanks for your input which was very helpful and your welcome.
I was looking at this type of RIB for my first purchase.

JMD 6m with yamaha 150hp outboard engine

Ribtec 585 and Yamaha 130hp outboard

A bit over budget but a nice looking purchase is this one and I could stretch to 15k for the right boat:

Ribeye 7.5 with Yamaha 200hp outboard

Not sure about the advantages and disadvantages of two stroke engines. On the road I know them to be lacking torque and quite smelly.
First two have "older generation" two strokes....reliable easy to maintain and certainly NOT lacking in torque .....drink petrol like it comes out of a garden hose

The Ribeye...(without looking at it)....if you change your mind about dry-stacking would be too heavy for the A6 to tow legally I think?
Old 28 October 2015, 11:39   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post

I looked at this rib a few days ago, I'm not convinced it's actually a Ribcraft.
You don't have better pics per chance or one of the deck? Was there any plates on the transom inside?

It looks like ribcraft seats, not sure about the console and the hull, I must admit I doesn't look right proportional wise but I assumed was the pics......strange one.
Old 28 October 2015, 12:28   #43

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
You don't have better pics per chance or one of the deck? Was there any plates on the transom inside?

It looks like ribcraft seats, not sure about the console and the hull, I must admit I doesn't look right proportional wise but I assumed was the pics......strange one.
the hull doesn't look deep enough or the dead rise angle and is that a planing pad at the stern or my eyes?
Old 28 October 2015, 13:18   #44

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post

As for fuel costs I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Its not like your commuting to work on the boat. You use it for pleasure / adventure, so just enjoy it. .
The issue isn't the cost of the fuel it's the limitation it puts on your range. Refueling from jerry cans while the boat is bouncing around is not fun and having full jerry cans cluttering up the boat is a pain in the 4$$.
The 6.4mtr boat at Port Edgar with the 115 Suzuki has only got a 100ltr fuel tank which will probably give a usable range of about 100mls leaving a bit in reserve making it a sensible, maybe not thrilling, option. If you stick a 200hp on the back of that (and use the extra power) that range is going to fall to 70mls I don't know the geography of the area around the Solent but I'm guessing that would limit your cruising.
I had a 5.2mtr rib with a 70hp two stroke and a 60ltr built in tank, range about 60mls, and that was one of the main reasons it had to go.

PS Don't know much about Optimax engines but that offering from KB Boats looks interesting.
Old 28 October 2015, 14:18   #45

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Oh, good point.

I get my butler to follow me in the fuel barge when I have to go further than 100 miles
Old 28 October 2015, 17:33   #46

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:

I don't have any pictures, there wasn't a plate on the inside of the transom.

I'm sure it's another hull put together by a company not that far from Port Edgar.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.......
Old 28 October 2015, 20:39   #47
RIBnet supporter

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: no boat yet
Make: no boat yet
Length: no boat
Engine: no boat yet
Quote:
Given the price of stacking (about 400-450 quid per metre for the year via google) I would seriously consider what you really need size wise as costs will mount up quickly.

Sea trial is always a good idea, but unless it is a bit choppy they will all seem largely fine.

I had possibly the worst RIB you can buy according to some on the forum, an Avon adventure 5.6 (great boat IMO for what it was), I now have one of the best and probably 50% of the time I use it you would not feel the difference as an example. I.e in calm conditions you won't tell a whole lot perhaps

Build quality is a different ball game though, cheaper boats may not have glassed down seats and consoles for example, bildge wells vary a lot, a lot of ribeyes don't have hypalon tubes as another example, wiring could be poorly done, cheap A frames etc etc.

The best suggestion is post up a lot of pics here before buying ANYTHING, someone will give you advice prior to purchase.
How nice it is to receive sound advice. Thank you Xk59D, I will keep it in mind. I would say that 6 metres looks to be about the right area for me. For now, I want to try and keep in and around that length. A good point about a sea trial and also calm conditions. Dry Run has got a nice boat which should be on offer very soon and I think that it could well suit.

I like the idea of posting pix so that I can get a some advice from the members who know a heck of a lot more than I do.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:41   #48
RIBnet supporter

[QUOTE=69cmw;698121]
Quote:

If this 6.4 had more stuff on it with a 175-200 motor it would be a 20k boat easy, but if the layout suits you won't buy a better hull at this age IMO. The engine is certainly under powered for what the hull can handle but that is why it is this cheap. Addition of an A frame would man it up nicely, maybe a bigger engine in a couple of years too. I would think it will cruise in the mid 20s though and maybe Max out circa 32 knots or so. It is almost a crime to have that good a RIB fitted out like that.
Ribcraft - 6.4 RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Edinburgh, Scotland | Boats and Outboards

I looked at this rib a few days ago, I'm not convinced it's actually a Ribcraft.
Thank you 69cmw! Good to know.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:43   #49
RIBnet Supporter

Posting pics is a good idea. You might want to be more cautious with links to ads - a few members have been gazumped by others having done so.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:05   #50
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
hi jepho

there are loads of factors that determine the speed of your boat i spent a lot of time sorting mine out the best i got was 45 mph two adults one dog 130 lts of fuel oban bay little wind flat calm 14 x 19 ali prop.
add a bit of wind, tide, chop and you can loose 10 mph off that then your getting into a rougher ride i always throtted back to 25 mph then to look after the boat and its occupants installing shock mitigation seats in was a god send. fuel consumption was brilliant 36 ltrs to go round the isle of jura around 100 miles in contrast i have done 80 mph on the river humber in a 10 m ribquest with two 300 hp mercury verado's on £140 worth of fuel lasted 20 mins great ride but the cost wow!.
budget will limit you and you need to make a list of what you need from the boat in terms of how you will use it and for how long per year, as said the boat show is a good place to start even if buying secondhand you will get a feel for whats out there ,the big companies are good to talk to like humber inflatables been in business 50 years if they don't know nobody does they have a large range for all pocket sizes also deal in secondhand last time i looked they had some avon's in, good boat solid and around the 10k mark.
lots of good advice on here there are guy's with the all singing all dancing big ribs down to the 3 m and below sib owner's the one thing in common is they get immense pleasure from their craft and where they cruse.
best of luck with your choice

cheers
Thank you Jeff. Lots of good information and ideas here. I have had a drive of a Humber with twin 60s. It was a 5.85 I think. Not madly fast but very stable in rough seas and highly manoeuvrable. An impressive craft when pressed hard.

I saw a really beautifully kept RIB which was adorned with four (what I had taken to be) shock mitigation seats, in Portsmouth very recently. They looked so very expensive and I did not dare to ask the price. All had an adjustable suspension unit under the seat which appeared to be sitting atop an adjustable double cantilever type arrangement. Here are some pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	109444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	109445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	109446  
Old 28 October 2015, 21:16   #51
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
They looked so very expensive and I did not dare to ask the price
Around £2.5K each, last time I looked.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:16   #52
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi Jepho,

Just a thought, but I have a boat coming on the market shortly, that may suit your needs/budget and comes with a trailer and a dry stack space (paid up until May 2016).

Details at KB Boats

Regards

Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks very much for the heads up.

It is a really nice looking craft and it looks to be a good deal which is within my budget. I am committed to several other matters this next weekend when I have several arrangements which I cannot break. I can get to you the following weekend if that is any use?
Old 28 October 2015, 21:21   #53
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
There are calculators on the Web no idea how accurate they are especially as they all involve hull shape fudge factor. This thread might be useful http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/5m-to-6-...vey-14600.html although I'd make two warning 1. People intermix knots and mph 2. the Internet is full of misleading information. No reason Fib.net would be any different. With a 3 knot following tide on a glassy calm day I go about faster than in normal conditions so top speed isn't everything!
Thank you for the link Poly. I have read a fair few of the postings on the provided link. I guess that riding the sea is not too dissimilar to riding the air. That is that the actual speed over the ground will depend on factors such as a wind, tide, load and power applied. Air speed can also be a rather moveable feast.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:26   #54
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
I would not worry too much about top speed, sure its fun but so long as your boat is comfy and capable you will be fine. You spend most of your time cruising about, not thrashing about.

I've got twin 175's on mine and I'm still not sure how fast it goes. Every time I've opened it up in calm conditions I've not actually looked at the speed. I've just looked at the view and grinned like an idiot. If you don't race anyone you wont know if your boat fast on not.

As for fuel costs I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Its not like your commuting to work on the boat. You use it for pleasure / adventure, so just enjoy it. If the cost of the fuel for a weekends fun is going to be a concern then Id suggest you reconsider the whole thing. There are lots of other costs to consider. Insurance for example, you pay that even if your not out having fun on your boat.

(I plan for 1.65 litres of fuel per Nautical mile)

Make sure when you use it all the little details are sorted out before hand, so your just left to enjoy the boating experience. Not the faff of trailering it there, or finding the weather pants, or the slipway crap, or the radio fails, or some other unrelated detail ruins the whole experience.

I trailered mine from home for a year - which allowed me to sort all the small things like wiring/radio/trailer etc. Then when I did tow it to the sea id also researched the slipway / weather etc. That meant every time I used it the whole experience was great.

Now I've got the boat sorted I keep it in storage and just ring up to get it lowered into the water ready for me to use for the week / fortnight. So for that time sits in the marina all ready to use day or night on a whim - any maintenance jobs having been done while in storage.

Maximise your time in enjoying it, not worrying about it.

As for twins / single, I would recommend a single for general use in the UK. You wont be far from help should it fail. If your planning on crossing the Med where the radio wont help or doing some extreme adventure in challenging weather, then twins would be better. Even in the middle of winter in the Solent the radio is alive with other boats / coast guard, in the Med even in the summer its pretty silent. In the winter I don't even turn it on, its that silent.
Some great points here for which I thank you. I never realised just how much there was to consider. I am only intending to travel around the coastal areas initially. I enjoyed my Powerboat 2 course. We planned a trip to the IOW from Portsmouth and ended up in the Ferry Inn for Sunday lunch. Your point about spending a lot of the time cruising about is well made. Fuel costs are not going to be a concern to me because it is my leisure time and it will cost what it does.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:57   #55
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Posting pics is a good idea. You might want to be more cautious with links to ads - a few members have been gazumped by others having done so.
Thank you willk. An interesting thought.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:58   #56
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Around £2.5K each, last time I looked.
Old 28 October 2015, 22:02   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I don't have any pictures, there wasn't a plate on the inside of the transom.

I'm sure it's another hull put together by a company not that far from Port Edgar.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.......
I have never seen the 6.4 hull in person, I only have my 6.8 and a 6.5 I was going to buy as experience.

It certainly is no where near as deep a V as mine or the 6.5, I can't say for sure it isn't correct though, someone no doubt can.

It is strange though as if you were going to effectively make up a rib there are far cheaper ways than ribcraft seats and console, if they are of course!

All the ribcraft boats I have ever seen had a plate right in the middle of the transom inside the boat, again I can't say about the 6.4.

If anyone reading is thinking of buying then a phone call to Jason at ribcraft would certainly be worth doing.
Old 28 October 2015, 22:23   #58

Now that I think about it, northcraft boats can be built in Edinburgh, I know someone who had a custom 6.3 from there with a 90 Suzuki. I'll check out the hull next time I see it. His transom cracked after about 18 months of very little use and he took it back for repair, I'll ask him what the place was like.

Looking at the side pics, it does look like a 6.3 hull with ribcraft bits on it..... Naughty if true. I can't find a transom one to confirm but will have another butchers

Edit, found a crappy one......similar planning pad but V looks different maybe?

Old 28 October 2015, 23:06   #59
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Northcraft ribs aren't made in Edinburgh. Bosun's Locker are just dealers for them (they are made in Yorkshire).
Old 28 October 2015, 23:08   #60

Poly, full boats are built there yes, but, i am 99% certain they have had bare hulls in Edinburgh and built them up at the very minimum, I shall explain.

My mate went and seen it made over space of few weeks I am pretty certain. Perhaps assembled is a better description, they got a bare hull and put whatever you like on it. I will certainly ask him exactly where he went to see it built as it may not be on the premises granted, was defo in Edinburgh though.

When I originally looked for boats I called northcraft and FYM years ago and they confirmed that was possible. I seem to recall FYM had a 6.5 hull on site they could do a deal for if memory serves and they would put what i like on it. I may have an email invoice perhaps...i will have a dig.

They may not do this anymore though, my mate got his boat about 6 years ago, I asked circa the same time. I assumed FYM bought a couple of hulls to fit out over winter and sell them a bit cheaper than direct.

My own Avon came from FYM, the old owner said they also assembled that as it was a bespoke build, they got a hull/tubes and fitted it out for him. I am fairly certain the invoices supplied were for buying the bits and fitting it out at FYM. Those invoices are with the new owner or I could take a piccy.

I have also seen in last 6-8 months them advertising a spare northcraft only hull as a package for someone to build, it came with a set of tubes that could be made to fit, console and some seats for someone to install. I am not saying this is the normal but they do get hulls from time to time at the very minimum. I'll see if I can find a link to it, was all black if memory serves, was a cracking price.

Lastly, they do retubes and fibreglass work there, maybe not on site again but FYM atleast have had bare hulls from northcraft and the ability to put it together in the past. I can't say if the bosun's locker still offers that though.

Looking at this 6.4 "ribcraft" there is a very good chance what I have said above has happened again, perhaps before bosun's locker took over or merged W.H.Y with FYM.

Tags
rib