Old 18 August 2007, 03:39   #11

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.esp View Post
The sort of permanent Bimini with a SS tubular frame I looked at on this Rodman was attached to the console.
Jon

Sounds more like a T-Top (like on the Boston Whaler pic attached). Great for the driver but a pain if you ever need to trailer the boat, as you may have to take it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22RaiderTeeTop372x450.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	29344  

Old 18 August 2007, 04:33   #12

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
hi, yes I agree the jockeys are best for cruising but at rest the bench would be far better - only space for 1 sunbather on the back bench. A solution is to buy a big flat donut thing & use it as a lilo - more sunbathing space at no cost & you can keep the jockeys. I´ve seen them online for 100 GBP & will pick one up on next UK visit.

Re non Spanish cars & towing the law is that over 750 kg you need separate ITV & regn for the trailor, I have a UK Bramber & it cannot be legalised in Spain. Bramber are happy with UK sales so haven´t gone for Spanish homoligation, a pain but that´s life. Anyway, I got a similar Spanish trailor made up locally & have the plaque & paperwork for that (Ficha technica). When the plaque on the copy gets a bit corroded I´m going to put that on the Bramber so it has effectively been legalised, by me of course.

The Spanish legal trailor looks like a load of pipecleaners by comparison to the Bramber so I will keep it as a spare, minus the plaque of course.

I have yet to be stopped by the police but I know someone who has - towing non Spanish trailor with Spanish car - it´s a 600e fine so be warned. The alternative if you are caught with a Belgian reg car with no tax MOT etc, ie, illegal in the home country, is impoundment. Basically, you won´t get it back.

Hope it helps, anything else just ask. Spansih love their bureaucracy & if you ask 3 people advice you willñ get 4 different answers. Above took me 2 months of chasing around to clarify.

Old 18 August 2007, 10:26   #13

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Guy. That’s the sort of thing. T top you called it. But just look at how it is attached. If you made it any bigger to give more shade you’ll be paragliding not wave jumping.

Also have any of you ever been stropped by any of the Spanish authorities whilst afloat? And is your boat Spanish, British or Belgium Registered?
Old 18 August 2007, 17:15   #14

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
Our boat is UK reg & displays the SSR no q clearly front & back. The Police do patrol the harbours keeping an eye on things - incidentally they don´t wear lifejackets on their RIB, a 6m Valiant, so not a brilliant example.

We were speeding in a Nature Reserve - not knowingly of course - & were stopped by the Gov Agency boat (Media Ambiente dept). They just explained the local law which was fair enough, it´s a temporary summer thing to keep the wash down. They didn´t want to see our papers.

Round here sad to report we are the only lifejacket wearers & most boating expats don´t have the ICC. Local RYA training centres charge 400 GBP per ICC which puts most people off.
Old 19 August 2007, 12:35   #15

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
We are also SSR as it seems both easier and cheaper. We do carry in a wallet on board various documents all of which have been laminated which include the SSR doc, ships and operators radio licences, cert of insurance and our own certificates of incompetence.

I haven’t been stopped by any authorities in Spain for many years mind you I have only had our current boat since the spring. Up until a few years back the Guarda National (at least I think it was them} used to from time to time patrol the various harbours during darkness in a small gun boat. I was told many years ago not to fall out with them which is generally sound advice regarding anybody brandishing guns. I must admit I have always been confused over the various Guarda and understand that have are will shortly amalgamated.

I have however been told that last year boats have been fined for picking up mooring laid by a local hotel in a bay with the national park despite the fact that the hotel not only gave them permission but also charged a mooring fee. There are restrictions over anchoring in certain areas which seem to change and are difficult to keep track of. We haven’t fallen foul of anything yet.

Almost 20 years back I bought a yacht in France put it under full British Reg and sailed it to Spain. This was before Spain was fully integrated into the then EEC. I put up the Q flag on entering the harbour and was immediately pulled over by the customs and instructed to go to their lay-by berth. I got out all the paperwork but the two young chaps weren’t interested in that at all. They were keen on sailing and my boat was a very racy looking ¼ ton cup boat so they just wanted to have a good look over it. I asked them about inward clearance and they said as long as I went to the Harbourmasters Office in the next couple of weeks there wouldn’t be a problem. I’m not sure it I still quite so laid back now.

I agree with you that life jackets of any sort are definitely not in fashion up in the Bay of Rosas. A rumour has it that the last life jacket sales man went bust may years ago and drowned himself out of protest. I put up a thread some weeks back with pictures of the Viglancia trying to rescue a tender I think I called it Keystone Cops. Even the Cros Roja don’t wear any and a couple of pictures to prove it. Like you we seem to be the only people in the area who do. My children have had it so well drilled into them by the school and sailing club in the UK that they simply won’t go out without them on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0443 crop.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	29376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0442 red.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	29377