Old 20 September 2012, 11:42   #1
sib

Town: bath
Boat name: -
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: -
tow to Med or Adriatic ?

i would like to tow my 6.5m rib for a 3 week trip next september and do some extensive cruising/camping on board to either the med launching probably at La Ciotat with an aim to head east then get to Sardinia and back. the other option is to launch north east Italy near Venice and cruise down the east side of the Adriatic and back.

has anyone done either of these ?

i`ve been to Croatia/Hvar and loved the small area that we saw. I`ve also seen the Calanques around Cassis area and loved it too.

i guess the advantages of the med option is that it`s a bit nearer to get to and the disadvantages are that it`s more expensive and far busier.

any thoughts welcome..
Old 20 September 2012, 12:27   #2

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
I used to have my Beneteau based in Genoa and cruised the area extensively. It is a beautiful region with many options from Portofino, Radi de la Spezia and then down to the island of Elba, and Corsica/Sardinia. I can recommend that option. The east coast of Italy is very bland IMHO but of course you have the option of Croatia which is also stunning but no sandy beaches if that appeals.
Old 20 September 2012, 16:06   #3

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
we towed from glasgow to athens for cruising round ionian etc
we crossed from brindisi to somewhere in greece but would have been better from ancona as the run down italy was boring and the tolls added up
this was pre sat nav and we got rig stuck in some awkward places
it is hard to stop and find b&b or resturants and ending up sleeping in back of shogun in truck stops not a great way to see italy
trailer and bearings all serviced before we went but all-over cover as supplied by flatacraft shredded before dover
best of luck
Old 04 January 2014, 11:14   #4

We are towing two ribs down to Denia then shooting over to the Balearics for a couple of weeks have spoken when visiting Denia marina and all seems very straight forward
Old 04 January 2014, 16:10   #5

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstereden View Post
We are towing two ribs down to Denia then shooting over to the Balearics for a couple of weeks have spoken when visiting Denia marina and all seems very straight forward
Unless its changed be careful of the slipway nearest to the bars and the office as it drops vertically after a few feet. I spent some time moored next to it one summer watching the antics of people unaware.

SDG
Old 04 January 2014, 17:08   #6

Cheers will do
Old 14 January 2014, 20:42   #7

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
Croatia can get a bit tense when the locals all get pissed at the same time.
We were moored in a little fishing harbour when there was a rock concert in the town, during the evening the harbour filled up with ribs and various open boats, once the locals were all bladdered they started kicking off with each other big style (something to do with having had a really nasty civil war in recent memory) quite scary. Then they all staggered into their boats and went roaring off into the night !
And there are no beaches, it looks like there are in the aerial photos they use for advertising but its all rock.
And if you overnight even at anchor in the Kornati archipelago some government guys come round in a rib and charge you for the privilege.
Oh and every restaurant in the country has the same menu.
But other that than its nice.