Old 23 June 2009, 20:42   #1

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Zodiac Unglueing

Hi guys,
I have a 1992 Zodiac 3.8m mark II Tourer. It was in very good condition when I bought it, with just the handles peeling away slightly.
I took it on holiday with me, inflated it and turned it upside down on top of my box trailer. The boat has grey tubes and a black keel. When I returned to the boat the next day and the bottom had come completely away from the tubes at the bow.
I got it professionaly repaired, but left it for 9 months (in my yard I am ashaamed to say) as I didn't trust it, and used an Avon S340 instead. However the zodiac is a better boat and I have decided to give it another go. When I had a look at it though, more of the keel has come undone the transom in places and the rowlocks have peeled off.

Some questions;
I will have to repair this in any case, but am wondering wether it is worth keeping the boat, or is it always going to be coming unglued?

Does it come unglued because of the heat, the way I have treated it, or because of its age and inherrant weakness in the type of glue used?

I have a repair kit I bought from a company called polymarine for pvc boats. Will this work well, or would I be better of with something that the professionals use (I have heard Bostik mentioned I think)?

Sorry to waffle and thanks for all help!
Geoff
Old 25 June 2009, 04:11   #2

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
It's past its use by date by a couple of years. The problem is that after 15 or so years the fabric just won't accept the glue anymore.

If the fabric is still supple and not stiff and scratchy then you may be okay.

if carrying out further repairs, you'll have to remove any remnants of old adhesive and soften up the fabric prior to glueing using MEK. Bostik 1669 is the easiest glue to use on PVC Zodiacs (heat activated).
Old 27 June 2009, 16:54   #3

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
Zodiac Unglueing

Hello Simon, my Zodiac is coming apart in what I think are similar circumstances, you mention heat activated glue.
Is that with a paint stripping gun/ hairdryer?

Thanks in advance.
Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac tube 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	43590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac tube 2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	43591  
Old 28 June 2009, 09:24   #4

Bostik 1669 activates at around 35 deg C, so hair dryer will be sufficient. If using a heat gun then be careful not to overheat the dried glue as this will kill it.

With your craft you'll have to get rid of the old glue as this will hamper the new glues ability to adhere. We use a dremel as it's accurate and gets the job done although time consuming. If the transom is water damaged, you maye have to sand back and recoat, otherwise the glue just won't take.
Old 01 July 2009, 19:38   #5

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Thanks very much for the reply Simon. The SIB seems in good condition, but I have just lost faith in it. Think I will glue it up, leave it to see if its ok, and then sell it on.
Thanks again Simon, and hope you do ok with yours Lee.
Geoff
Old 01 July 2009, 21:33   #6

Town: Warminster
Boat name: Narwhal
Make: Narwhal
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 8hp 2stroke
Is there an alternative to the Bostik 1669 ? it only seems to be available in Australia ?

I have a PVC Narwal 2.8m rib that needs the hull to tube join at the front redoing and i was looking to see what the best glue for the job is ?
Old 02 July 2009, 03:54   #7

The Bostik 1669 is a general Shoemakers adhesive for glueing (PVC) soles of shoes. have a chat to your local shoe repair guy and see what they use.