Old 04 July 2010, 18:59   #1

Town: Gateshead
Boat name: Confirmative Jim
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Rude 35
Zodiac Maiden Voyage

Well we finally got our old Zodiac out at the mouth of the Tyne. The weather was warm but very windy creating some reasonable chop. Unfortunately our trip was a very short one.

I hadn't realised that a previous owner had seen fit to cut the transom down. This meant we could only go straight or make left turns because the tiller was fouling the transom, bugger! Apart from that the boat seemed in good condition and the recent refurb of the boards proved worth while. I think this combo of engine and boat will make for good fun ( I only opened the throttle half way and it was up and off on the plane, no steering made me back off quickly!).

I am going to cut a pice of wood to refill the transom and move the clamping plate back up. I was going to use either marine ply or hardwood.

Am I right in thinking it will be ok to just put this piece in place without attaching it?

Also what product should I use to fill the screw holes in the transom, preferably something non marine?

One last question. Does anyone know if these are the self bailers and is there a way to refurb or replace them?

Apologies for all the questions but I want to get it sorted and get back out on the water for some fun.

Thanks in advance

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	52508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	52509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	52510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	52511  
Old 04 July 2010, 21:28   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
It takes a standard shaft engine. No idea why the previous owner felt it necessary to cut it down. To build it back up, get some marine ply (you may need to sandwich a couple of sheets) with epoxy to get the desired width. Make a template and cut out your new section from the marine ply. Glue into place - only when the transom has thoroughly dried out. For added strength you could add a stainless steel plate that effectively creates a lip over the top of the transom. Plug any screw holes with epoxy resin. Finish the whole thing with a few coats of marine varnish. Job done.

Regards the self bailer. The diaphragm is probably past it's best. Replace. There should be a rubber bung too to seal it properly when underway.
Old 05 July 2010, 00:01   #3

Thanks Spartacus

I thought that the weight of the outboard plus the clamping effect would keep a transom extension in place. Do u think putting ss plates either side clamped by the motor will provide enough grip on the transom?

The '79 manual from Zodiac even suggests raising the transom with fillets of wood. But that was back in the day when you could put a 55hp 2 stroke on that vessel lol! It would take off!

Thanks

Adam
Old 05 July 2010, 00:15   #4

By the way the self bailers were plugged by sink plugs ha! Maybe they do the job but I have my doubts.

There in lies the frustrating beauty of working with and using old things. Purity and simplicity rules! Oh and history too.

Too many cowboys. Do it right and properly!

Ta

Adam