Old 06 April 2010, 15:04   #1

Town: South West
Length: 4m +
Zodiac Grand Raid MK3

Hello Everyone,

We have recently bought a zodiac grand raid from ebay, the boat came with a good quality snipe trailer and no engine.

The boat itself is in good condition and holds air well. We've bought a 40 HP mariner engine for the boat with will hopefully very well suited to the boat and what we want to use it for.

The tubes are hypalon and I would like to know the best way to clean/care for these. The boat will best used on the sea so I imagine a good rinse down to remove all the salt from the tubes. Are they any products you would recomend to product the material?

Here is the eBay ad for the boat -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_2640wt_1167
Old 06 April 2010, 18:00   #2

Went down to the boat today and got some pictures.

Anyone on here more knowledgable than myself that could give me some more information about the boat (date it was built, operation of the valves and what the various codes and numbers on the boat refer to). Also, how can i get the glue off the tubes?
Old 06 April 2010, 18:14   #3

Town: North East
Boat name: Sarah Louise
Make: Honwave T38IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 Yamaha, 8 Mariner
Very nice mate! You must be pleased as punch.

I was removing glue from my boat at the weekend and used a paint remover attachment for your drill. It was an absolute godsend! It is like a scotchbrite pad. I tried to find it in the tool section but couldn't and found it by mistake in the paint section.
Go steady with it though, as it can get quite hot.
Its in this thread... http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=346866#post346866

What is the piece on the back with thumb screws?
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 06 April 2010, 18:18   #4

Cheers for the info, will have a look around for something like that.

We're not sure ourselves what they are for, we don't know much about the history of the boat. The previous owners bought the boat in a auction just for the engine and then sold the boat on eBay. Can only imagine they were put there and a quick release for the engine? Not too sure.

Definately am very pleased with it, it's a beast compared to our 3.6m suzumar inflatable. Can't wait to get it on the water in the summer!
Old 06 April 2010, 18:27   #5

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
That puppy will fly with a 40. I had a similar setup years ago and it was all I could do to hang on when the boat was empty. Hopefully your engine has a kill chord... Use it!

Those valves are intercommunicating... Turn them this way and you can fill all tube sections from one location and balance the pressure. Turn them the other way, and it isolates each chamber from the next, in case one is torn.

In you last photo, there is something on the tubes is there? Of is the rubber worn from the Hypalon?

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 April 2010, 18:30   #6

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by roody262 View Post
Hello Everyone,

We have recently bought a zodiac grand raid from ebay, the boat came with a good quality snipe trailer and no engine.

The boat itself is in good condition and holds air well. We've bought a 40 HP mariner engine for the boat with will hopefully very well suited to the boat and what we want to use it for.

The tubes are hypalon and I would like to know the best way to clean/care for these. The boat will best used on the sea so I imagine a good rinse down to remove all the salt from the tubes. Are they any products you would recomend to product the material?

Here is the eBay ad for the boat -> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_2640wt_1167
Nice Sib, how long is the Sib mate,looks a beast and you say longer then your 3.60
Old 06 April 2010, 18:43   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

The Zodiac Grand Raid MK3 (15'5") with aluminium floor system (HD) is a great boat. If you're using a tiller-steer, then 40hp is fine and it will fly. If you were opting for remote steering, then a 50hp Yamaha 2-stroke (if you can find one) would be better.

The hypalon material can be cleaned with a product called Rib Revive. It's suitable for hypalon or PVC. You can also use a 3M Marine Outdoor Vinyl as an additional treatment to protect the tubes.

The serial numbers on the boat is a manufacturer code/serial number followed by the year of manufacture (thin-strip starting ES, I presume for Spain). In this case (2003). Has maximum capacity for 8 people, is a 'category C' boat for inshore waters, and has maximum load capacity of 1270kg which is huge.

The glue on the tube, is probably because this boat was used on the continent and either had a boat name or registration number on it. I'd take it easy regards the 'sanding idea' Wouldn't take long to break the surface of the hypalon and expose the weave. Better approach would be to try a little MEK. Wear gloves and try a small area first.

The valves are pressure-release valves. Turn the valve to 'inflate' and pump each valve to operating pressure (in stages), then put on the valve cap. Then turn the valve to 'navigation' when underway. Top up with air as required.
Old 06 April 2010, 20:29   #8

Yeh the boat is a BEAST, lot bigger than my last inflatable (3.6m) at 4.7m! Always used to find the suzumar would struggle against bigger waves hoping this boat will be rigid enough to tackle a decent sized surf with confidence.

Engine wise - we are going for a 40hp with tiller control have been waiting for the right one to come availiable on eBay or boatsandoutboards. Unfortunatly I've got to go back to university soon and wont be back down here to play with the boat till the summer when it will get a big clean up etc and will get a load of use out of it this summer!

Spartacus - What changes in the valve when you turn it from Inflate to Navigate? Also what sort of maintenance do the valves need? Have seen a thread saying they can be dismanteled, would this be necessary? What sould you lubrication would you apply to them?
Old 07 April 2010, 16:33   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Spartacus - What changes in the valve when you turn it from Inflate to Navigate? Also what sort of maintenance do the valves need? Have seen a thread saying they can be dismanteled, would this be necessary? What sould you lubrication would you apply to them?
They are inter-communicating pressure release valves. By turning to 'inflate' you can effectively pump the boat from one valve from stern to bow. For this to happen all valves will need to be turned to 'inflate'. After you've inflated the boat, turn the valves to 'navigate' which now isolates the chambers. You can adjust the pressure as required.

Maintenance-wise, zodiac sell rubber diaphrams that pop into the valve. Over time they dry out or become distorted, allowing air to escape. They also sell rubber inserts that go into the valve cap to ensure complete air-tightness. I normally remove all the valves at least once a season, wash in a mild detergent and dry thoroughly. Fit the new diaphrams and rubber valve cap inserts. Apply a thin smear of Duckhams marine grease to the threads of the valves and tighten. Job done.
Old 07 April 2010, 19:39   #10

Cheers for the information. As they say, you learn something every day. I cant get my head around how the inter-communicating function works will look around for a diagram unless you have a link to one?

Where would be the best place to get hold of the diaphragm valves? A local Zodiac dealer or contact Zodiac directly? Do you have the part numbers by any chance? Wish I had to boat in front of me to play around with to get my head around how it all works!
Old 08 April 2010, 11:52   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Where would be the best place to get hold of the diaphragm valves? A local Zodiac dealer or contact Zodiac directly? Do you have the part numbers by any chance? Wish I had to boat in front of me to play around with to get my head around how it all works!
Speak to main dealer. That's how zodiac work anyway. Cap seal is Z2213 and diaphragm is Z2195, Best to double-check with your make and model of your boat before ordering. Knowing Zodiac it won't be cheap, even for rubber inserts.

Here's a couple of useful links. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...:1&um=1&itbs=1

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...:1&um=1&itbs=1
Old 08 April 2010, 12:39   #12

Town: NE
Boat name: RedGazelle
Make: Gemini GRX420 SIB
Engine: Mariner 40 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_Jubb View Post
Very nice mate! You must be pleased as punch.

I was removing glue from my boat at the weekend and used a paint remover attachment for your drill. It was an absolute godsend! It is like a scotchbrite pad. I tried to find it in the tool section but couldn't and found it by mistake in the paint section.
Go steady with it though, as it can get quite hot.
Its in this thread... http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=346866#post346866

What is the piece on the back with thumb screws?
Cheers,
Geoff
Another, less abrasive glue removal method is to use glue from a hot glue gun.

Melt the glue gun glue into a block and use it like a rubber, once it cools. No idea why it works, but it does the trick on old glue with less risk of damaging hypalon.

Ed
Old 08 April 2010, 12:57   #13

url=https://www.phpbb.com/]Visit phpBB![/url]

Cheers guys, I think at the moment the valve diaphragms are in ok condition, they dont leak air as far as i know. Unfortunately the boat isn't kept at our house, wish I had it here so I could test all this advice I've been given.

We're still hunting for an engine, we originally thought the boat took a long shaft engine but after measuring the transom and looking at diagrams it appears (to me anyway) that it takes a short shaft engine.

The diagram of the boat from the Zodiacmilpro website show the boat with a different shaped transom to ours. If you look Here the green line shows the outline of the transom. The shape of ours is different to that and is the same as this. The specification of the second boat I guess is just another version of the GR MK3. Would I be right in sayin that my boat would therefore be a short shaft?
Old 11 April 2010, 13:46   #14

Town: London
Boat name: Various
Make: Various -
Length: no boat
Engine: 2.5 - 250 hp
Best Advice i can give is to give chas newens marine in putney a ring ask to speak to julie who deals with all our zodiac enquiries we should have everything you require in stock and we also have 2 MK 3 GR sitting on the shop floor about to be dispatched so she will be able to give you the advice you need

J

CNM: 0208 788 4587
Open Monday to Saturday - 0900 to 1800 (sometimes later)
ChasTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 21:02   #15

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Cheers guys, I think at the moment the valve diaphragms are in ok condition, they dont leak air as far as i know. Unfortunately the boat isn't kept at our house, wish I had it here so I could test all this advice I've been given.

We're still hunting for an engine, we originally thought the boat took a long shaft engine but after measuring the transom and looking at diagrams it appears (to me anyway) that it takes a short shaft engine.

The diagram of the boat from the Zodiacmilpro website show the boat with a different shaped transom to ours. If you look Here the green line shows the outline of the transom. The shape of ours is different to that and is the same as this. The specification of the second boat I guess is just another version of the GR MK3. Would I be right in sayin that my boat would therefore be a short shaft?
Best check transom and shaft length proper before you buy an engine,with some large inflatables,,and i am not saying yours is ,, it may have what appears to be a short transom,,even when measured ,, but when up on the plane owing to the underwater profile of a large deep keel you may find it did need a longshaft as a short may airate cavitate when turning .
Old 12 April 2010, 23:46   #16

We have now bought an engine, a old (mid 90's I would say) Mariner 40hp from ebay. The shaft length is 18" so a mid lenght. From looking at the diagram in the two links to the specifications on the zodiac website, I am quite confident the boat in designed for a short shaft engine.

Think we will see how the engine measures up on the boat and if needs be adapt the transom to lift the engine so its positioned correctly.

This is the engine we have bought, we will be picking it up one evening this week.
Old 13 April 2010, 17:25   #17

RIBase
Quote:
We have now bought an engine, a old (mid 90's I would say) Mariner 40hp from ebay. The shaft length is 18" so a mid lenght. From looking at the diagram in the two links to the specifications on the zodiac website, I am quite confident the boat in designed for a short shaft engine.

Think we will see how the engine measures up on the boat and if needs be adapt the transom to lift the engine so its positioned correctly.

This is the engine we have bought, we will be picking it up one evening this week.
A solid enough engine. First thing to do is get it serviced. Either do it yourself or put it to a dealer. This includes: New impeller and gear oil, new starter rope, new sparks, grease nipple points, clean thermostat and housing, check and adjust linkages, clean fuel filter (on engine) renew split-pin on propeller, check torque on flywheel nut. Run in tank to test, etc. It'll give you complete peace of mind and is money well spent.
Old 13 April 2010, 20:04   #18

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Duck View Post
Another, less abrasive glue removal method is to use glue from a hot glue gun.

Melt the glue gun glue into a block and use it like a rubber, once it cools. No idea why it works, but it does the trick on old glue with less risk of damaging hypalon.
Ed: Have you tried using the glue stick directly in something like a draftsman's electric eraser (though I suspect the eraser wouldn't last long... Maybe just an electric drill?)

jky
Old 16 April 2010, 01:56   #19

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
grand raid

The transoms have changed over the years on the grand raids. Many of the older boats were short shaft transoms. In the past few years they have changed over to Long Shaft transoms.
Your boat is a 2003 built in February of 2003 shown by the "B" which represents the month it was built. You should NOT use MEk to remove the old glue. MEK is not good for hypalon. try either Acetone or ethyl acetate as these works much better and will not harm the fabric. Good luck with the new boat, they are a blast.
Old 22 April 2010, 23:20   #20

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm quite sure that the boat we have is intended for a short shaft engine.

We have now got the engine home and it seems in fair condition to me for it's age, not sure exactly what year it is. I have taken some pictures of the engine which I will post up soon.

Although the advert for the engine stated it had been serviced last year and hardly used it will be getting proper service before the summer, either my myself or a dealer depending on how "hands on" I am feeling. There is an oil leak coming from behind the prop, I'm guessing this is gearbox oil.

I cannot wait till the summer to try this boat out!