Old 08 September 2010, 00:10   #21

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalvez View Post
Alright guys. I finally finished all the repairs. I just took a look at two motors. Which would you choose and why. One is a 1992 Yamaha 40hp short shaft, it is really extremely clean...only bummer is that its a pull start. Second is a Evinrude 40hp short shaft with electric start. The case on this motor looks like crap, but under the cowl, it looks brand new and has just been serviced. Both of these have no rust and have been tested. Which would you buy?

Definitely go with the Yamaha!!! Far more reliable, much better quality. Also, I would much prefer a pull start over an older electric start. While most electric starts can be emergency pull started, it may be awkward & difficult to set up an emergency pull rope while out in rough conditions.

Old 08 September 2010, 00:36   #22

Really? How tough is it to pull start a 40hp? My other concern is its ability to keep a battery charged, I plan to have a gps/fishfinder, lights and other electric gizmos. It seems that its charging system would not be able to keep the battery charged. I do agree that the yamaha is very high quality outboard. Do you guys think that there is a large weigh difference?

Old 08 September 2010, 00:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalvez View Post
Really? How tough is it to pull start a 40hp? My other concern is its ability to keep a battery charged, I plan to have a gps/fishfinder, lights and other electric gizmos. It seems that its charging system would not be able to keep the battery charged. I do agree that the yamaha is very high quality outboard. Do you guys think that there is a large weigh difference?
A 40 hp that is in good condition takes very little effort to pull start. I can understand the desire to have a charging system if you are running other electrics, but a gps/fishfinder and some LED navigation lights shouldn't draw much current. A compact lightweight high end battery (such as an Odyssey PC 625) would go a very long time between charges.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/marinespecs.html
Old 08 September 2010, 08:49   #24

Town: GTA
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Futura MkIII
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I'm not a big fan of Yamaha only because a friend had a lot of problems with one. However, I AM a big fan of pull start. No battery is good. Less weight; more floor space; and no potential of a dead battery letting you down. I've had it happen to me. Carry a small gel cell wheelchair battery for lights and electronics.
You don't say what year the Johnson is, but they did at one time have 3 different versions of charging systems. The best had a regulator on the back right corner. A cast aluminum box with cooling fins on it and lots of wires going in.
Availability of service and support is a consideration.
Old 08 September 2010, 09:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
However, I AM a big fan of pull start. No battery is good. Less weight; more floor space; and no potential of a dead battery letting you down. I've had it happen to me. Carry a small gel cell wheelchair battery for lights and electronics.

The only thing I could add to that is that is also good to have a spare starter rope and to occasionally check the condition of the existing rope (even though they are extremely durable).
Old 08 September 2010, 09:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post

The only thing I could add to that is that is also good to have a spare starter rope and to occasionally check the condition of the existing rope (even though they are extremely durable).
Yes, goes without saying. Always carry a spare Everything. :^)
Old 08 September 2010, 11:53   #27

I was just thinking that with the console setup that a starter would make it more like a regular boat that anyone could just get in and turn the key to start it. Anyone have any input on the weight between these outboards. They are both from 92'. The evinrude is a 2 cyl and the yamaha is a 3 cyl, both 40hp short shaft.
Old 08 September 2010, 13:05   #28

You have a console? 3 cyl. might give you more torque. Also more weight and one more carburetor to tune, and potentially give you trouble.
I like to keep things simple.
Old 08 September 2010, 16:23   #29

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
According to the basic NADA outboard listing the 92 Evinrude 40hp manual start 2 cyl outboard weighs 185lbs (dry weight), the Yamaha 92 40hp manual start 3 cyl weighs 152 lbs. I think I get more low end power with my 3 cyl, but I'm probably kidding myself.
Old 08 September 2010, 16:42   #30

My OMC 25 shared the same block between a 20, 25, 30. The 40 shares a block with the 40, 50 and 60. I don't know anything about Yamahas.