Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 January 2016, 05:33   #11
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone have a link to the right type of flare and/or other emergency back up that won't break the bank. I'm not yet ready to fork out 150+ on a PLB.

Thanks.
Where do you intend to boat? The DSC Handheld is an awesome piece of kit and perfectly adequate IMO for areas with good coastguard VHF coverage. The phone (in a waterproof case) is the backup. You'll need to have the handheld securely clipped to you for it to be a plan.

Outside of the above, I really only rate the PLB for use in remote/unfrequented waters. I'd pass on the other options and save for a PLB. They can be carried when hill walking, holidaying, etc. so aren't a one trick pony like flares are.
__________________

__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 05:44   #12
Member
 
Stigomery's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 407
Thanks willk!

Sounds like a plan to me. We'll be using no more than a mile or two off shore around the Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex coast line initially. Then the lake district and hopefully along the Devon/Cornish coast in the not too distant future.
__________________

__________________
Stigomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 05:49   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 708
Plenty of online chandlers sell handheld flares. Main issue is the postage cost as they are hazardous goods.
Couple of examples:
https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/98...ividual-flares
Flares Gael Force Marine
Cheapest way is to go to a chandlers & buy there.
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 09:11   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'd pass on the other options and save for a PLB. They can be carried when hill walking, holidaying, etc. so aren't a one trick pony like flares are.
And you can take on flights and ferries without offending anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Sounds like a plan to me. We'll be using no more than a mile or two off shore around the Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex coast line initially. Then the lake district and hopefully along the Devon/Cornish coast in the not too distant future.
Local people might be better able to comment, but my understanding is that in the Lake District there is SOME CG Ch16 reception on Windermere, but perhaps not on the smaller lakes. Other users are less likely to have VHF (and certainly DSC). Beware if you ever make it as far as Loch Lomond there is no official VHF coverage on the loch.

IMHO you want some way of attracting attention if your VHF/Phone have no signal. In sight of "shore" Handheld Red flares are generally considered adequate for that. To get better coverage parachute flares would help - but they are more expensive and can only be used for attracting attention (not for pinpointing your position), and have shelf life issues as with all pyrotechnics.

The second part of the problem is having alerted a rescuer helping someone to find you during a search. A very bright torch or strobe might be enough. SPR on here sells a small laser flare designed for the purpose. There are two different makes of electronic flare which serve this purpose AND are also designed as a substitute for initial distress alerting (c. 90 though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Plenty of online chandlers sell handheld flares. Main issue is the postage cost as they are hazardous goods.
Couple of examples:
https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/98...ividual-flares
Flares Gael Force Marine
Cheapest way is to go to a chandlers & buy there.
I think those are relatively expensive? I am sure I bought a pair of h/helds for 15ish last year at my local chandler.

Of course perhaps the biggest risk is you are no longer on your boat (or are on its upturned hull) - "personal" flares you can put in your pocket are attractive for that - like the Ikaros Day/Night - but not cheap.

Tucked in the bottom of my safety kit I have a big orange plastic sheet (with black square and circle) - it came with some boat safety stuff I bought a while ago (I believe it is a US "thing"). Together with a very bright torch with a strobe more I'd be comfortable enough without any flares, and look towards a PLB for remote areas with little company.
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 12:48   #15
Member
 
Tedskee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90
MMSI: 235109818
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 27
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but does anyone have a link to the right type of flare and/or other emergency back up that won't break the bank. I'm not yet ready to fork out 150+ on a PLB.

Thanks.
Those flares were originally designed for the Military as Signal Flares, they should not be classed as Distress Flares, only to be used to pin point when a search is already in motion. There was a cut across a few decades ago from Mil to Civilian and I used to carry a pack whilst dinghy sailing as they would fit in a pocket. But as already stated only burn for a few seconds and can also be mistaken for fireworks.

Regarding cost, if anyone was to be in the unfortunate situation where they needed help, I imagine at that point in time they would spend anything to be seen. With that in mind and dependent where you sail, although hard, try not to save money buying a substandard device, whether it be a Radio or Flares, because if needed it needs to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flare_Pack1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	110251  
__________________
Tedskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 12:55   #16
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
No I would not, I would get rid off the proper way as soon as possible. If money is an issue I would scrimp and save and go hand in hand to family and see if I could get enouth cash on loan to buy a proper flare pack and a cheap but usable PLB.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 15:56   #17
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,928
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
IMHO you want some way of attracting attention if your VHF/Phone have no signal. In sight of "shore" Handheld Red flares are generally considered adequate for that. To get better coverage parachute flares would help - but they are more expensive and can only be used for attracting attention (not for pinpointing your position), and have shelf life issues as with all pyrotechnics.
.
I used to carry a "light" and a "smoke" in the SIB when on the sea. I didn't have much faith in them and thought of them as a way to guide a rescuer toward me. Paras are fine obviously. If the OPs SIB breaks down on a freshwater lake in the UK, it will quickly drift/be rowed ashore - no rescue needed. If the OP falls out of it - I doubt he'll have found room in his pockets for parachute flares...
__________________
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"
.
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 16:53   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Seil Island
Boat name: Ron Mor
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
MMSI: 235116643
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 87
Standard coding flare kit - 90

4 year life

2 X 60 second Orange hand smokes.
2 X 60 second Red 15,000 candela hand flares.
2 X 40 second Red 30,000 candela parachute flares that fire to 300 metres. Up to 30 Miles visibility

Pains Wessex Coastal Flare Pack - 2016 stock! - Marine Warehouse Ltd
__________________
Stevie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 18:12   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
If the OPs SIB breaks down on a freshwater lake in the UK, it will quickly drift/be rowed ashore - no rescue needed. If the OP falls out of it - I doubt he'll have found room in his pockets for parachute flares...
Fair point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedskee
Regarding cost, if anyone was to be in the unfortunate situation where they needed help, I imagine at that point in time they would spend anything to be seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borristhebold
If money is an issue I would scrimp and save and go hand in hand to family and see if I could get enouth cash on loan to buy a proper flare pack and a cheap but usable PLB.
Whilst I appreciate the issue you are both suggesting, here the OP is in a SIB and a little balance might be useful - there is a limit it how much kit he can practically carry, just as with Seakayakers, canoeists, paddleboarders, windsurfers, kitesurfers, etc who are probably all going out in the sort of areas and conditions the OP is likely to be out in and I'd guess carrying much less kit.

When your engine fails at sea the upgrade seems cheap. When you get caught out in bad weather a bigger boat seems sensible. When your anchor slips a bigger one seems like a bargain investment. When you curtail a trip because of concerns about fuel the cost of spare tank suddenly seems trivial etc. But if we all applied that logic to its ultimate conclusion we would never actually go out. None of us have infinite budget and whilst safety kit is needed things that prevent a problem (like training or engine servicing) might be better ways of spending money than a "4th" or "5th" contingency for distress calling!
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 20:09   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
MustRib's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'd pass on the other options and save for a PLB.
Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedskee View Post

Regarding cost, if anyone was to be in the unfortunate situation where they needed help, I imagine at that point in time they would spend anything to be seen. With that in mind and dependent where you sail, although hard, try not to save money buying a substandard device, whether it be a Radio or Flares, because if needed it needs to work.
Absolutely

A PLB works out at around 40 a year for some peace of mind. Think of it that way rather than as a large lump sum.
Invest in the best safety kit you can. Keep your flares in date.
As Poly said, invest in some quality training as well.
Your confidence will get a boost and you will enjoy being on the water more.
Think through what would happen in an emergency situation,
if you lost one of the ways you were counting on using to call for help.
Do you have a backup plan ...?
Think about what devices you will use and how you will attach them to yourself in case you part company with the boat.
Understood its a SIB and not a RIB, but if you are intending heading out along the coast,
in some less than populous areas, consider a PLB as a priority.
__________________
MustRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.