Old 06 March 2015, 08:33   #1

Town: London
Boat name: defender
Make: defender
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp yamaha 4 stroke
Which slipway? River Thames

Hello all, I'm looking to start this season with river Thames cruise and would like to know launch spot or slipway nearest to tower bridge area. I live in East London Hackney side so even canals will do, at long as I can park and setup my 3.6m allaminium deck with 15hp. Also do you guys know if there are area on river Thames where no speed restrictions (test purposes).
Many thanks.
Old 06 March 2015, 08:39   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'm not sure of the latest regs or even if you are allowed in something that small but that is an incredibly busy part of the river with many fast moving large passenger ferries and a lot of chop - I wouldn't venture amongst that lot in a 12ft rubber boat with a 15 on the back...
Old 11 March 2015, 21:16   #3

Town: Chester
Boat name: Larissa
Make: Jago
Length: under 3m
Engine: Electric/2hp Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I'm not sure of the latest regs or even if you are allowed in something that small but that is an incredibly busy part of the river with many fast moving large passenger ferries and a lot of chop - I wouldn't venture amongst that lot in a 12ft rubber boat with a 15 on the back...
I Agree. A bad move. I have spent many happy times in Thameside pubs in that part of London watching the river flow and it, especially around the bridges, piers, moored craft, etc can be fearsome. Get above Teddington locks on the non tidal part. Or from the local slips further up around Henley. It's even safe in a camping skiff.
Old 11 March 2015, 21:59   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert31 View Post
I Agree. A bad move. I have spent many happy times in Thameside pubs in that part of London watching the river flow and it, especially around the bridges, piers, moored craft, etc can be fearsome. Get above Teddington locks on the non tidal part. Or from the local slips further up around Henley. It's even safe in a camping skiff.
Launch at River Lane in Richmond/Petersham & stay above Chiswick, plenty to see & do in a small boat thereabouts. You might have to go through the lock at Richmond depending on the tide.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2015, 10:16   #5

Town: Dartmouth, Devon
Make: Ribeye
Send a message via MSN to Ella Chivers Send a message via Skype™ to Ella Chivers
RIB launching on thames

Hello
Following on from the above - we need to launch 6.2m RIB and get it to ST Katherine's docks. Also need to store a trailer. Where would it be sensible to launch with this in mind. Any suggestions most welcome! thank you
www.ribeye.co.uk
Ella Chivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2015, 12:51   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
The nearest accessible slipway is probably the one at Poplar Rowing Club. Not sure where you'd leave the trailer though. Shadwell Outdoor Activity Centre might be able to find you somewhere to store it for a few days.

You could launch up at Putney and see if you could persuade Chas Newens Marine to store your trailer.
Old 12 March 2015, 13:35   #7

Send a message via MSN to Ella Chivers Send a message via Skype™ to Ella Chivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The nearest accessible slipway is probably the one at Poplar Rowing Club. Not sure where you'd leave the trailer though. Shadwell Outdoor Activity Centre might be able to find you somewhere to store it for a few days.

You could launch up at Putney and see if you could persuade Chas Newens Marine to store your trailer.
good suggestion - thank you
www.ribeye.co.uk
Old 12 March 2015, 18:44   #8

Boat name: Various
Make: Various -
Length: no boat
Engine: 2.5 - 250 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post

Hi John,

Thanks for the recommendation, we would be happy to assist with the launch / recovery / local knowledge and advice side of things, at the moment we do have one of our 60ft passenger boats out of the water, so unfortunately couldnt help with the storage of a trailer. However, if it is clamped and hitch locked, then we tend to find that trailers are ok left in the parking bays at the end of the road.

Hope this helps.

James
Open Monday to Saturday - 0900 to 1800 (sometimes later)
ChasTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2015, 20:49   #9
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I would avoid Putney like the plague! Parking is dire (except on a Sunday), the rowers are rude and will go out of their way to make your life more difficult so avoid slack tide when they are on on the River.

If you can try River Lane in Petersham or even further upstream to Lower Ham Road near Kingston. For years we used to use Putney but experience has shown its just not worth it with all the trouble there.

If you want St Kats and to store a trailer try either Greenwich Yacht Club or Gallions Point Marina.

Chris
Old 27 March 2015, 09:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I would avoid Putney like the plague! Parking is dire (except on a Sunday), the rowers are rude and will go out of their way to make your life more difficult so avoid slack tide when they are on on the River.

If you can try River Lane in Petersham or even further upstream to Lower Ham Road near Kingston. For years we used to use Putney but experience has shown its just not worth it with all the trouble there.

If you want St Kats and to store a trailer try either Greenwich Yacht Club or Gallions Point Marina.

Chris
Thanks so much for your advise - gallions point marina have been very helpful!
www.ribeye.co.uk
Old 13 April 2015, 02:23   #11

Boat name: defender
Make: defender
Engine: 15hp yamaha 4 stroke
Thank you all for the kind replies. Wish you all a good season...