Old 22 October 2018, 16:10   #1

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Which 4m Sib

Looking to get a new sib, around the 4m size, I have a trailer for it, it may get deflated a couple of times a year but thatís about it.
So an air floor isnít a necessity
What do the expert sibbers recommend?

Old 22 October 2018, 16:32   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
I like the Mercury / quicksilver make heavey duty welded seams in PVC you can buy hypalon 2/3rds the price again though. Honwave is a good boat too especially at that length. Excel worth a look too. Bombard/zodiac are good but the price hike is too much in my opinion.

Old 22 October 2018, 17:11   #3

Iíve had a Zodiac Mk2c and a Bombard Aerotec a few years ago, Iím with you on the current pricing, IMHO I donít think they are worth it now.
I looked at Excel, but from what I saw they bow looks flattish, whereas the Honwave T40 looks more pronounced.
Old 22 October 2018, 17:37   #4

When you look at the quicksilver 410 it's bow is a lot (larger keel) higher than mine at 365 the old 380 ( shorter cones) both same maker look on the gurnard's mull and Skye trips both are boats together plus the honwaves of Kaman and highland haggis similar difference
Old 22 October 2018, 17:47   #5

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
I'd agree with the Zodiac vs Honwave price comments Jeff makes. About £1000 for a 4m Honwave vs £3500 for a 3.8m Zodiac Classic.

Both alloy floor with LP sausage keel and similar dimensions. I bet the way they perform and handle is near identical. So about all you get for the Zodiac's extra £2500 is a better colour scheme and welded tube seams. Hard to justify really.

If you had a budget between the two I'd consider a Mercury/Quicksilver like Jeff's. £1700 as a 3.65m and £2050 as a 4.15m. They look/feel that bit better quality than the Honwave and look nice in red with black trims.
Old 22 October 2018, 18:09   #6

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
And of course the usual question. If you are going to trail would one of the lightweight alloy floor RIBs suit?
Old 22 October 2018, 18:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
And of course the usual question. If you are going to trail would one of the lightweight alloy floor RIBs suit?

No, reason being is a couple of times a year I would deflate it and take it away with the caravan and use a collapsible launching trolley.
But the thought has crossed my mind a few times though.
Old 22 October 2018, 18:52   #8

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury F30 EFI
Personally feel a 4m SIB is a mistake if you are prepared to trailer. At this size an aluminium floor would be mandatory IMHO unless you are prepared to put up with floor flexing and they all do it, Bombard excepted. I learned by experience, sold up and got a used RIB instead. Design limitations with floor flex and weight mean 4m SIB's are the largest size you can buy for good reason.

If cost dictates an air floor then Honwave style looks good to me but I was put off because water sloshes around in the V and all your gear bounces to the middle and gets wetter than it should. The floor is not separately replaceable like the Excel Volante, there's fewer air chambers and it's made of PVC which is cheaper and inferior. Zodiac is probably on par with the Excel but it's also more expensive which would buy you the Alu floor of an Excel Vanguard. If you get a proper photo of the deep keel you'll see the Honwave does not have any advantage in this department. Mercury don't sell an air deck floor bigger than 3.2m then they switch to composite or alloy.

At the end of the day all SIBs and RIBs have pros and cons I hope you get the choice right first time like I didn't.

Edit: Since I wrote all the above I see you are a caravanner like me. I now prefer either making two journeys or taking both tow cars to avoid soft hull compromises. I've also thought about seasonal storage.
Old 23 October 2018, 03:35   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury F30 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I looked at Excel, but from what I saw they bow looks flattish, whereas the Honwave T40 looks more pronounced.
When I get chance I'll post some images proving this is not the case.
Old 23 October 2018, 03:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Personally feel a 4m SIB is a mistake if you are prepared to trailer. At this size an aluminium floor would be mandatory IMHO unless you are prepared to put up with floor flexing and they all do it, Bombard excepted. I learned by experience, sold up and got a used RIB instead. Design limitations with floor flex and weight mean 4m SIB's are the largest size you can buy for good reason.

If cost dictates an air floor then Honwave style looks good to me but I was put off because water sloshes around in the V and all your gear bounces to the middle and gets wetter than it should. The floor is not separately replaceable like the Excel Volante, there's fewer air chambers and it's made of PVC which is cheaper and inferior. Zodiac is probably on par with the Excel but it's also more expensive which would buy you the Alu floor of an Excel Vanguard. If you get a proper photo of the deep keel you'll see the Honwave does not have any advantage in this department. Mercury don't sell an air deck floor bigger than 3.2m then they switch to composite or alloy.

At the end of the day all SIBs and RIBs have pros and cons I hope you get the choice right first time like I didn't.

Edit: Since I wrote all the above I see you are a caravanner like me. I now prefer either making two journeys or taking both tow cars to avoid soft hull compromises. I've also thought about seasonal storage.
first you can buy sibs much bigger that 4m see pic, the flex on the floor is for a reason the bow needs to move up and down hence always made of wood. the alli floor part should be stable with the stringers keeping it ridged with the keel pumped up to pressure. as for water sloshing around you have auto drains there shouldn't be hardly any water on the deck all should be under the boards or your doing something wrong. the OP has other boats and the sib is a compromise for his caravaning activities. a 4m sib is a very capable boat not light mine weighs in at 100 kg something to consider.another boat i would consider is the takacat 3.4 explorer not cheep fiberglass hull planes on low HP engines would be ideal for caravaning not sure of weight i think around 60kg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00026.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	127384  

Tags
sib