Old 23 August 2015, 11:29   #11

Length: under 3m
This is what I was thinking something like this :

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ard/1119875599

Old 23 August 2015, 11:30   #12

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler2061 View Post
Just to explain I'm only looking to go 100m off the shore line and drop a few feathers for Mackeral fishing so no lengthy cruises along the coast required.
In that case - I suspect anything would do the job. Bigger will be better and get you out on more days.

Quote:
I basically just want something that will launch of the beach and has enough power to go against the waves and me not get stranded at see.
Gonna need a local person who knows the sea / launching in your area to comment on that. Someone is bound to be along soon enough...

Quote:
I have a budget of about 1500-2000 for boat and engine and will probably look at second hand to get more value for money.
You'll certainly get something decent and reliable, if you take your time and buy wisely, for that money.

Quote:
I also have to bear in mind I may be on my own so will have to carry myself.
You'll almost certainly want to look at launch wheels...

Old 23 August 2015, 12:12   #13

Ok thanks for taking the time to answer.

I've found a few boats/motors up to 1000 that look pretty good.

One more question, buying of places like Gumtree etc. I've always been a bit dubious because you don't really know why you are getting.

Anyone bought from one of these sites how was the experience?

Cheers
Old 23 August 2015, 12:30   #14

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I launch in Hastings/Rye/St Leonards/Bexhill/Cooden. Read the Which SIB sticky for some thoughts and places to look to buy and recommended outfits but in a nutshell for what you want to do, ie pop it off the beach by the Rock a Nore car park? Then any 3 to 3.5m SIB with a 6hp to 9.8hp 2 stroke will be ideal.

If you're local you'll know it's more often than not a 3/4 south-westerly blowing (except of course this Friday/Saturday yesterday when it was flat calm, blazing hot and windless - two best boating days I've seen all year and could we go out?! Grrrrrr, no...

I would not go to sea with less than that. Stick to airfloor and you can carry it all up and down the beach yourself. Chuck a thick piece of carpet or rubber matting over the airfloor as additional protection.

Whether you buy local free paper/shop window ad/eBay/Gumtree/Prre-loved/Boats and Outboards it makes zero difference. An ad is an ad - you're buying from another person regardless so always inspect the goods at their home, make sure they are the owner, satisfy yourself condition is what you want/need and it all works and simply never part with a penny until you have agreed a deal and are ready to pick up the goods paying cash as you do. Just the same as before the internet. Basically never send any electronic payments.
Old 23 August 2015, 12:33   #15

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ard/1119875599

Re above. You have a budget that will get you something so much more capable (or comfortable to be in with a greater safety margin if you like).

I would say ideally a 3.0-3.5m Zodiac/Honwave air floor with Yamaha 8hp or Tohatsu 9.8hp motor.

Such an outfit in lovely condition should be available for around 1500.

Like others I'd comment beach launching then shore hugging isn't always the safest situation so don't underestimate the usefulness of a slightly larger boat/engine.

Edit: Ahh sort of ditto to Max's post... for good reason... we've both had a variety of SIBs in this size bracket.
Old 23 August 2015, 12:41   #16

That Honwave's a lovely little outfit for the money - superb value and illustrates perfectly how many of these get bought in a shiny showroom then sold on virtually unused at great loss (and our gain!). I've seen many people fishing in similar off Hastings but another 1/2 metre makes all the difference when the chop's up.
Old 23 August 2015, 13:23   #17

Thanks Guys

So would a 5HP be ok in people's opinion for close by fishing trips?

Max - I was down there yesterday and two lads had something smaller launching of the arm and they had buckets of fish selling to the restaurants, that's what gave me the idea!!

Cheers
Old 23 August 2015, 13:32   #18

Yes, I mean a 2.9/3.1 with 5 or 6hp will be fine but for a few hundred pounds more (and a bit more weight to lug about) a 3.4m and a 9.8 will get you much further and keep you drier and enable more kit/people and better/safer handling in the typical conditions down here - get yourself off on longer trips to Beachy Head, over to Rye etc.
Old 23 August 2015, 13:38   #19

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
I have found sibs are a bit like motor bikes, it pays to start smallish and build up once you get some experience under your belt, also perhaps a few qualifications, for me the weight of the package is the most important, so I would choose a zodiac and a tohatsu 2 stroke, but for others they may prefer the heavy duty build of a honwave, others of course will want to go fast, getting the idea set up first time I would say is impossible until you get out on the water and start to get a real feel for what you want, so start with a good combo on eBay on where ever, get out on the water, and resell upgrade your package as you go, good luck
Old 23 August 2015, 13:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhitchuk View Post
I have found sibs are a bit like motor bikes, it pays to start smallish and build up once you get some experience under your belt, also perhaps a few qualifications, for me the weight of the package is the most important, so I would choose a zodiac and a tohatsu 2 stroke, but for others they may prefer the heavy duty build of a honwave, others of course will want to go fast, getting the idea set up first time I would say is impossible until you get out on the water and start to get a real feel for what you want, so start with a good combo on eBay on where ever, get out on the water, and resell upgrade your package as you go, good luck
Good points.

James, I'll answer online to the PM as other will have advice. I'd say if that's your budget go for the Honwave, a cracking boat/engine for the money and as you say lots of little boats go out from Hastings with 2.5hp's etc. If you really just want to mackeral fish within 500m (and you'll only be 500m from the RNLI launch anyway ) then it will be ideal. Just that a bigger/boat engine opens up new possibilities.

But as I said above you will truly benefit from the seller's loss/depreciation and if it's not for you that outfit if looked after will be worth the same money 2 or 3 years down the line. Or if you want to move up then sell it and trade up. That is why so most of us advocate buying big name boat/engine used by a careful owner and you never lose out. Many of us have done this for years and if you buy/sell carefully you end up with a virtually 'free' outfit after a few years.