Old 07 December 2014, 09:17   #1

Tying an anchor on a Sib

Does anyone have a good method for attaching an adjustable length anchor line to the bow - tow/anchor D-rings on an inflatable?

I anchor at varying depths from 12 - 80ft and need a way to tie off the correct length of line to the D-rings under my bow (since there is no cleat, like on a fiberglass boat , to tie off on this can be awkward).

I'm have previously tied a section of line with a loop on the end to the D-ring rope on the bow, then tied a knot in the anchor line at the appropriate length. I use another length of rope with karaniners which I keep inside the sib.
I then use this to pull the main anchor rope aboard so that I don't have to precariously lean overboard to gather and bring the main anchor line aboard.

Just wondering if anyone uses a better system???

I know climbers use ascension devices that allow rope to pass through freely until it is required to be held in place at a set length.
Does anyone have experience of using such a device on a Sib anchor rig?
Also as I use my sib mainly in salt water it would need to be stainless to prevent corrosion.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07 December 2014, 10:37   #2

Town: near Kiel, baltic sea
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30 4-stroke
Like this?

Anchor hub

Old 07 December 2014, 11:06   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I just do the same as you Kaman..ie..use the end of the anchor rope as a “lazy line” to haul the anchor back into the boat. I have never found a need to use anything else ? But I don’t anchor that often as I prefer drift fishing.

Dont think an ascender would be worth it..they cost around £50 squid. I have one from my mountaineering days and it is good for getting heavy boats back up the beach on their trailer.

I tie a long rope onto the car towbar..then attach the electric winch to the boat trailer. The winch tape is only 10 meters long..so I unwind the tape..slide the ascender up the rope attached to the car.. wind up the tape on the winch.. stop.. unwind tape..slide up the rope etc..until the boat and trailer is at the car.

I was once shown how a simple shackle.. with the rope wound round the shackle in a certain way.. formed a lock knot that worked similar to the ascender..but I have long forgotten that knot.

Knot the answer you are looking for though
Old 07 December 2014, 11:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsteg View Post
Like this?

Anchor hub
I saw this post earlier and that's what got me thinking bout my existing anchor set up.

As I've built and fitted a large bow box up front so I don't think this system would work that well on my sib.

Was looking at these earlier on YouTube

Petzl Ascension Handled Ascender: http://youtu.be/jIPONXMJlvM

Would fit this to my existing set up but as the ascender would be submerged in the water when the anchor was deployed it would need to be made of stainless steel.

Don't know if something like this would be up to the job?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1417968589812.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	101460  
Old 07 December 2014, 11:28   #5

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Have a single painter. If you have two D rings, then have a rope between then attach a single painter to the middle.

Then take a bight in the anchor line and use the painter to make a sheetbend. It is a basic sailor's knot, designed for this sort of thing and easy to tie and untie. If you feel unsure, use a double sheetbend.

There is no need to use karabiners or other metal fittings. They have to be attached somehow, and there's just more to go wrong.
Old 07 December 2014, 11:32   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup..thats same as mine Petzl... it is a very strong alloy..seawater wont rust it.. but it has a spring in the lock mechanism that is made of a different metal ?

So I suspect eventually it would corrode.

What is wrong with a stainless shackle on the loop of rope tied to the D rings either side ? A quick knot to tie the anchor rope to shackle saves money on something that may cause more trouble than worth ?
Old 07 December 2014, 11:34   #7

Cheers for the reply Gurnard.
I was typing my response to the first reply when you posted your response.

I take it the ascender can easily cope with strain given what you are using yours for ?

Like yourself I prefer drift fishing but do anchor up every now and again.
I thought the ascender would simplify matters as I hate faffing around with knots.

Oddly enough as I fish alone mostly my anchor gets deployed most often when the sib gets launched to stop it floating away whilst I park up my car lol!!!
Old 07 December 2014, 12:06   #8

Town: Oakland CA
I used to simply tie a Mountain Butterfly knot in the rode to get a loop, then carabinered it to the front grab handle (I used a stainless steel carabiner from a chandlers.) Make sure the patches and webbing are up to snuff though.

In retrospect, had I thought more about it, I might have rigged up a bridle to the bow D rings, through the handle to a carabiner, but the above way worked for me.

jky
Old 07 December 2014, 12:16   #9

Mikefule you have solved the problem.

A free flowing 2 ft piece of rope which is looped around the painter that I have already got strung between the two outside bow rings will allow me to have an open ended bit of rope to tie a sheet bend to mate with my anchor rope .

As the anchor and rope reside in my bow box until needed, the remainder of unused rope can stay in the box.

I am pants at knots and had to Google what you were conveying in your reply.

Now that I have seen what you are saying the penny has dropped.

Dunno what you would call the knot I was tieng before (best forgetting it) but it was a pain in the arse to untie sometimes, particularly with cold hands.

Thanks for that I don't think an ascender will be required I will just practice my knot skills.
Old 07 December 2014, 13:02   #10

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
All you need to do most things with rope is half a dozen simple knots. The best knots are simple to tie and untie but are nevertheless very secure. They worked for hundreds of years before karabiners.

Look up the bowline, sheetbend, double sheetbend, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, anchor bend and bowline. If you look closely there are more similarities than differences and they each do a specific job quickly, securely and easily.