Old 13 November 2015, 10:07   #1

Length: 3m +
Trolling + Outboard on Transom

Hi guys,

I managed to get my hand on a really nice watersnake 44lb + battery for a steal and I was hoping to put them together on the transom for lake fishing.

Just wondering if any of you have experience with installing a trolling motor next to the outboard motor. I am thinking of putting the battery on the other side of the boat to compensate the weight.

My boat is a 3.3m (10"10') boat.

Your input would be great !
Old 12 December 2015, 14:15   #2

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
If you can fit the electric outboard on to the transom, and raise it out of the water when not in use, there's no reason why it should not work.

You might have a bit of a pull to one side but should be able to compensate with the tiller.
Old 12 December 2015, 14:51   #3

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi Randomjelly

I have no experience with electric motors..but have plenty experience using a small auxiliary engine for slow lure trawling.. or if Im just puttering around on a nice day..saving fuel and loud noise from the bigger main engine.

As lightning said...its not a problem. It will make the boat slightly “crab” along..and the further the engine is from the centre line..the more it will crab..but its hardly noticeable if you keep it as central as is reasonably practical.

You have two options to steer the boat..and I use both at times.. mood dependant and for no other reason.

Method one.. raise the main engine to reduce drag..and steer with the running auxiliary engine.

Method two .. secure the auxiliary engine so it doesn’t turn to steer and only pushes the boat.. then use the lowered main engine as a rudder to steer the boat.

Not much else that I can add. ..its certainly not a problem in practice ... assuming you have space for the engine
Old 14 December 2015, 17:48   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
^^^^Same as I do.
Let's go for the 'Great minds think alike' option

Don't see any reason why - space permitting - an electric motor wouldn't work for what you want to do.