Old 24 September 2017, 18:24   #1

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Trent and Devon trip today

Just a short trip on the Zodiac 310 today. We launched at Farndon, upriver from Newark on Trent. We chugged down the Trent, and hd a couple of minutes playing on the 2 foot wake of a big ugly cruiser.

We crept along the top of a wide weir where there is always plenty of birdlife to see We has two good close sightings of kingfishers, both perched and flying. We crept through a swimming flock of about 100 Canada geese who parted to let us through. We laughed at the one greylag goose trying to blend in with the crowd.

The Devon is heavily weeded at this time of year and the weeping willows along the edge formed a damp curtain we had to push through. It was a completely different trip from the one in early summer when the way was clear.

Our boat has pneumatic-tyred launch wheels on hinged metal legs. When they are up, they limit the movement of the engine and restrict the steering in tight manoeuvres, particularly in reverse. We therefore tend to let them float behind rather than locking them in the up position. As we were heading up the river, there was an almighty clunk as the prop picked up a cut willow branch about 6 or 8 feet long. The engine stopped and the starboard wheel had kicked up into the locked position and the branch was jammed against the transom and was standing almost head high like a mizzen mast!

Normally, we get a couple of miles up the river, but today, after having to stop and cut weed off the prop twice, we turned back.

Back on the Trent, we poddled down to Newark. On the way back, I tried to get on the plane and something was badly wrong. After the requisite amount of cursing and checking the obvious, I discovered that the loop of rope between the two D rings - the one that has the painter attached - had pulled over the bow and gathered a fine harvest of weeds and debris. It took a while to clear it, then we were back on the plane, slowing only for anglers and other boats.

About 3 hours on the river in excellent weather.
Old 25 September 2017, 11:51   #2

Town: Mansfield,Nottinghamshire
Make: Honwave T38IE
Engine: Honda BF20D
Glad to see you had a good trip if not without indecent, Farndon is my home mooring for my big ugly cruiser, I also have a honewave 3.8 that we keep down at the mariner in the summer month's for pottering about on the river when we cannot be bothered to get the cruiser out, if you go the other way up the river there is the Bromley Arms 30/45 minutes depending on speed with a good pontoon for mooring up, good food and beer with outdoor seating overlooking the river, if you go down towards Newark again keep a good lookout for the trip boat out of Newark as it can take up most of the river on the bends and will not slow down, if you go down to the town lock there are spots where you can moor up and have a wander round the town.
Old 25 September 2017, 13:45   #3

Hi,

I live nearby and have done a few trips up and down from Farndon, and also from a free slip on the opposite bank upriver from the Bromley Arms. That one is above the lock and gives you a clear run up to Gunthorpe and the café there.

Not all cruisers are big and ugly, but I like a boat that has some "boatiness" about it - that looks like the owner likes messing about in boats rather than just being seen on a boat. The one in question was towing the biggest wake I've ever seen on the Trent. It wasn't planing, but was probably doing well over twice the speed limit, and never mind anyone who got in the way.
Old 25 September 2017, 13:58   #4

Hi, unfortunately I also come across these inconsiderate boaters all to often on the Trent, when you are in a smallish boat it can cause a safety issue with the speed merchants, I'am sad to say I think some of the offenders are out of our marina.
Old 13 October 2017, 09:00   #5

I forgot to ask you about getting on the Devon as I did not realize it was navigable, do you go through Newark marina and under the road bridge, is the depth ok or do you have to look out for under water obstacles, Taking mine off the water this weekend for the winter lay up, not looking forward to cleaning the weed off the bottom, I might go down to the power station and give it a bit of stick to see if that gets the bulk off, failing that it will be elbow grease, O the joy of boating.
Old 13 October 2017, 17:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knube1 View Post
I forgot to ask you about getting on the Devon as I did not realize it was navigable, do you go through Newark marina and under the road bridge, is the depth ok or do you have to look out for under water obstacles,
My boat is 3.1 metres with a 9.9 standard shaft. In late spring, early summer, I can get up the Devpn a substantial distance.

I have been up under the red brick arched bridge at Hawton a few times, and possibly half a mile or a mile further than that. Eventually, the river is blocked by willows, some of which have fallen. There are some side streams I have never tried.

On the way up river I tend to take it steady and pick my way through between clusters of weed, and I am particularly cautious under Hawton bridge.

On the way down, if I've had no problems, I sometimes go faster and I have been known to plane for short distances when the river is up enough.

In late summer, it gets more clogged with weeds and this time I had to turn back before Hawton. It's the first time I've had to turn back because of weeds.

It is "navigable" with care for a small inflatable, kayak or open canoe, but it is not a "navigation" in the legal sense. You need to show discretion going past the backs of peoples' gardens. Most people are surprised to see you but give you a cheery wave.

The bit around Sconce Park (the lowest section) is very pleasant.

There are places to anchor for a picnic and, in the right conditions, swim.

Yes, access is via Newark Marina (not Farndon Marina) and you just chug through, past the rowing club and under the road bridge. I've never been challenged and I've done it many times.